Saturn Q&A

2005 Saturn Ion Question: Power steering problems and ignition

rks72, Wood Dale, IL, December 15, 2009, 15:58

My power steering also goes out, is this an expensive fix? Also, I, sometimes, cannot get my key out of the ignition. When I turn the car off, the ignition assembly turns halfway back and 'locks', keeping my key in place. In conjunction, I hear clicking in the steering column when the ignition 'locks' my key in place. What's the deal and is it also expensive to fix? (P.S. I Have a 2005 Saturn Ion 2)

December 15, 2009, 16:28

The power steering going out normally is the power steering pump. You can check prices on RepairPal: http://repairpal.com/estimator

The key in the ignition really just sounds like the locking mechanism in the column, which may be working as expected. Normally, if you turn the steering wheel one direction or another, you can unlock the ignition. Does that not work?

January 21, 2010, 18:23

I have a 2004 Saturn ION. I had the same thing happen to my car. At first the power steering would go out and I would turn the car off and it would be fine for quite a while. After about 2 months of nothing happening it started happening more frequently (like every 1/2 mile). I took it in and they had to replace the entire steering column and motor which was about $900.00. They said that if I had brought it in when it first started happening they might have only had to replace the motor which would have been significantly less. I would definitely take it to get it fixed because when it finally goes all together there is nothing you can do.