power steering problems on 1998 Dodge Intrepid

we thought the power steering pump went because it was very dificult to turn but replaced pump and still have problem. if you give it gas it turns easier, after 5 days driving it like this today I drove it and 90% of time no power steering problems. a shop told me the rack and pinion is bad but why would it now have power steering? could it be something else like a module?

by in Sharon, PA on March 07, 2011
2 answers 1 comment
ANSWER by on March 07, 2011
There's no electronic module controlling the power steering system. Most likely, either the pump's faulty, or the rack is faulty, or the drive belt is slipping which I would think is a likely cause. Get it checked out ASAP, it's a safety issue. If you want to find a specialist, here's a directory link for you: https://repairpal.com/directory?address=16146&car_brand_names=Dodge
COMMENT by on March 08, 2011
Aftermarket rebuilt pumps from parts store have problems, recommend pump from dealer if pump is problem, racks have been known to have problems with cold power steering fluid and then ok after warm up when they start to go bad. But like Superbob says, start with basics and make sure belt is ok.
ANSWER by on March 08, 2011
Aftermarket rebuilt pumps from parts store have problems, recommend reman pump from dealer if pump is problem, racks have been known to have problems with cold power steering fluid and then ok after warm up when they start to go bad. But like Superbob says, start with basics and make sure belt is ok.
I've had my Intrepid for 3 years now and have had to replace minor things along the way. Now, however I'm having major issues with the steering. After replacing the tie rod ends and having a fron...
I was driving and heard a loud noise and car would not steer what could be my problem.Car will go back and forth but not left or right
I have a 99 dodge intrepid with a thumping noise in the steering. This noise only occurs when you are pulling out of a parking spot and are only moving the car with idle speed. It makes a loud th...
How much does it cost to replace the power steering hose on a 1995 dodge intrepid?