Mercedes-Benz Q&A

2001 Mercedes-Benz E430 Question: Power steering problem on an 01 E430. Any quick fixes??

BenzTwinz, Subiaco, AR, January 04, 2012, 20:03

Under hard acceleration it locks up, under normal conditions it is noisy and hard to steer, fluid level is full.

1 Answer

patrick mannion from Greg Solow's Engine Room, January 04, 2012, 20:11

Sounds like a steering pump problem but no point jumping to conclusions without the problem being properly diagnosed. Your question may be better posted to a Mercedes specific forum and see if anyone else with your model has seen this problem.

I work on a lot of different cars, I have seen problems before with cars that have a filter in the reservoir that at high mileage "clog up" and cause steering problems. I am not knowledgeable on Mercedes and wouldn't be able to comment without seeing the car. There is a company that independent auto repair shops get their information from, this same information is available inexpensively for people that work on their own cars.. The information is year make and model specific, covering repair procedures, torque specifications, fluid capacities and specifications, service bulletins, component locations, wiring diagrams ect.... Alldata is very easy to navigate http://bit.ly/AllData_Repair_Manuals_Online

BenzTwinz, January 04, 2012, 20:14

Thanks, I am looking to get an answer for a good friend....I haven't personally looked at it as of yet, but I was leaning in the same direction. My 97 has a brand new pump installed before I purchased it. I was wondering if it had a filter that might possibly be clogged in the power steering system.