Power Steering problem on 2005 GMC Yukon

Difficulty turning to the right. Mechanic says the steering box needs to be replaced. Now he says the steering doesn't lock and says he can't work on it safely but claims he's working on a fix. I have heard that GM removed the steering lock from 2002 and newer models. Is this true and is it straight-forward to work on this problem without the steering locking? Thank you for your help.

by in Brentwood, CA on July 01, 2009
1 answer
ANSWER by on July 01, 2009
You are correct, the steering wheel no longer locks on most new GM vehicles. There is however a spot in the steering column to place a special GM tool to lock the column in place. It would be possible to fabricate the necessary pin, perhaps that is what your technician is working on.
Power brake systems using "hydro-boost" may leak power steering fluid from the hydro-boost unit located behind the brake master cylinder. Replacement of the hydro-boost unit is the common repair to...
I hear a whinning noise as I drive. Steering is out. When the wheel is turned it knocks.
I have lost all power to anything that is wired through the steering column. Including Hazards, Ignition, HVAC, Radio, Windows and Turn Signals. I need a starting point before I give up and grab my...
Is it difficult to replace the power steering hose myself
Backup lights not working. Auto trans. Replaced bulbs, checked fuse ..suspect the backup switch Where is it located?