The power door lock actuator is an electric motor that turns a gear mechanism, which either pushes or pulls a linkage in order to lock or unlock a door.
Symptoms of Wear or Failure
- Door lock may only lock or unlock, operate erratically, or not at all
- Alarm systems may malfunction
- Before the actuator completely fails, you may hear an abnormal noise from the door as the lock is operating
Related Repair Advice
- Failure to eliminate the door lock electrical circuit and the lock mechanism as a source of the problem may result in the replacement of a fully functional door lock actuator
- On many newer vehicles, the complete lock assembly must be replaced to correct a door lock actuator fault