Pontiac Sunfire Reviews

Pontiac Sunfire Reviews and Owner Comments

My fairly new wife bought this car new without power windows on purpose and demanded A/C (AZ) . After 11 years with it she grew weary of driving a stick shift and sold the car to me so I would have something nicer than my 34 year-old Chevy Monza. I kept the Monza another year then tearfully parted ways with her (the Monza). The wife had no other complaints about this car except the E-brake that never seemed to work well since new and the struggle to find 1st gear every time also since new. She never had time to return to Dealer for such minor flaws so on she went till handed over to me. After researching one thing that bothered me about newer small cars, the timing belt-breaking-destryoing-engine issue, I was quite relieved to know the wife picked 'that green one' not knowing what it means to have gotten 'the green one' with the 2200 engine! All the other engine options that were available had timing belts with overhead cams. THIS ENGINE IS A PUSHROD AND TIMING CHAIN old school model with 100 horsepower. I WAS VERY PLEASED TO KNOW THIS, no pistons blind-dating the valves on the drive home to Tucson from San Diego in the middle of the evening to go to work Monday. The German 5-speed gearing is matched perfectly to the engine's power output. I have to get thi wrapped up so the car is not perfect, ther are little things that can seem minor but detract from the car because they can stickout like a sore thumb at times such as : # From time and use @ 12 years of ownership, the sun visor material is falling apart as is the sagging visor blocking vision with no replaceable part found. Still looking. # The a/c directional vents fall apart and flop around inside partially blocking and totally divert air flow elsewhere but the still cold a/c gets the cabin cold even though I can't point the breeze right where I would like it. Compressor replaced at 160,000 miles/ $430. De- finitely worth keeping longer. # The problem with not easily finding 1st gear every time still persists, haven't encountered the fix yet but I can't lend my car out because the time that I did it cost me a new clutch replacecement shortly afte getting it back @ 165,000 I COULD GO ON NIT-PICKING BUT ALL TOLD I AM KEEPING THIS CAR AS IT HAS NOT BEEN A MONEY PIT AND THAT IS WHAT COUNTS?
I have had my 2003 Sunfire since 2004, I bought it from Enterprise Car Rentals, I have had nothing major, my A/c Compressor went out in 2011 had it replaced, Breaks one or 2x's, runs fantastic, great gas millege 14mpg, my Power Window on passenger side has gone out 2x's once were both, now just passenger side motor. I am having the Crankshaft Seal replaced next week. Besides all these Transmission is very strong and I am very happy with it
Bought used 13k miles now 98k. One of the best cars I.ve ever owned.Great car to drive.
Always chasing your tail to figure whats wrong , eats fuel pumps because tank is thin. Ground wire on battery was junk because split coating for ground at battery box,corrosion. 5th fuel pump! only 55,000 miles bought new and dealer put coil pack on at 20,000, pcm is in the open and not sure why it stalling again!
I bought it new (my first car) and it lasted until last December when an idiot didn't stop at a red light and wrecked my passenger side completely. I am really sad to loose this car. It's beyond repair. While the suspension and air conditioning may be its weakest, this car had no issue up to 140,000KM. I was able to move so much stuff, drive long distances with no issue. As surprising as it could be, this car was amazing with extreme snow. Living in Canada, it is quite important. While other cars get stucked in parking or driveway and can't do anything, this sunfire with its rear wheel drive (mine was sunfire 2002 SX), just surpassed them all and was driving like a crossover on snow and icy roads. For the price it's really a good one for starters.
lost power, not running right
My 04 sunfire has been a very dependable car. It has cool air-conditioning, automatic. I bought it new and have done the routine maintenance on it as I should of. I always need to adjust the rear brakes manually. Great car.
i love my 2.4L 150hp sunfire. I have owned several new cars, this one was only meant to be for work, but it's unusually fun to drive (provided its the GT package). i retired my 06 trailblazer to the yard in favor of the sunfire. i bought it with 66k miles, and runs smoothly with 148k. the only downside, is its an electrical nightmare once it gets old. my headlight switch doesnt work, i have no a/c, and the struts are starting to fail, but it always starts and drives, and hits 60mph in 7.8 seconds with the 4spd auto. even with its quibbles, i still love it
i am the original owner of my 1998, 2.2.ltr sunfire. I HAVE 307,256 actual driven miles on it. I just rebuilt clutch and components due to leaking slave cylinder, other than routine maint. ,I haven't had to due much else. This is definitely the best car I have ever owned. I still have original A/C and water pump on it ( knock on wood )
Bought this 2.4L Coupe with all the upgrades except GT. Added mag wheels and wider tires and fake dual exhaust with a ( a bit loud )spark arrester only. It had 38000 in 2000 and up to 149000 now. Replaced a water heater and the AC quit. Love to drag race from the intersection light. Not happy with the tires not good for rain in Washington ! I rat race with it sometimes, but keep it safe. I alway use Chevron medium grade gas and I get 25 to 32 with lots of power. Got smashed into the passenger side and had to drive it that way for 6 months. Finally got the damn insurance to pay and it still runs great. Had to replace a darn crank align sensor. Never had heard of that, but the car just stopped. I moved the front plate down on the air spoiler to expose the Pontiac nose. Everyone likes that except a trooper who can see the numbers but not the bottom inch which bends under. I have the dark red original paint and it draws attention. I'd repaint it if I weren't unemployed,,,same color. I love this car,,,but I might try to squeeze in a 350 !
I bought my 2005 Pontiac Sunfire new and have had to do very little to it besides the norm - change oil, wiper blades, new tires. Other than than I've changed 1 side marker bulb, replaced the battery and just recently replaced the thermostat. I've had this car for almost 6 years and it has been wonderful for me. It is starting to show some wear and tear in the interior - the number on my pre-set radio buttons are wearing off, the bulb that lights up to show you what gear you are in when the headlights are on has gone out, and the gas gauge doesn't work well when it's hot - but that's it (I haven't replaced these things, I can live without for now)! Nothing major at all, all small repairs.
I hace had my Sunfire 10 years. The 2.2 doesnt like climbing mountains, but I have 256,000 KM's on it and still going strong!
i have my 1997 pontiac sunfire with the 2.4 since august 2005 and my 1998 sunfire with a 2.2 only had the usual wear and tear problems, brakes, tires etc.. never any other problems, great on gas and runs well if you keep up with normal maintinance.
i have a 1997 sunfire. bought it about a year ago and had no major issues with it other than the usuall brakes etc...
I love my sunfire! It's the best car really. I've had it almost 6 years no problems what so ever now at 110,000 miles. The only little things that went wrong were both motors in windows went bad and ac needed recharge.
A gem, with 400,000 km ( almost 250,000 miles) on it, with original clutch, original suspension and original exhaust. Took over a lease at 28,000km , about 9 years ago. Outside of regular maintanence (which I often missed) and regular repairs (breaks), all I ever replaced was 2 starter motors, 2 water pumps and one rocker cover gasket. This 2.2L 5 speed, North Americal built car, has been the best valued car I have ever owned. I'm about to retire it, as I'm not going to put money into something with this much milage. But then, I was going to retire it over 2 years ago, when it crossed the 300,000km barrier. I may just look for another 2.2L Sunfire. Andy Rauer Toronto, Canada
I bought this car brand new. I do ALOT of driving. The engine (a 2.4L) gave up when I ran it without water. I found out later that the so called mechanic I took it to didn't replace a leaking heater core and the system didn't alert the driver to low coolant it just let me know when the thing was too hot. I replaced the engine (the last engine I replaced was in a 1967 Chevy Truck) and it has been running like a top ever since. The front passenger wheel bearing went out when I hit a pot hole around 170,000 and the driver's side went out this week (200,000) but the engine is still going. I don't know the mileage on the current engine. It's a good car as long as you do the required maintenance on it and you have a mechanic can trust do do the mainteance.
I absolutely love this car- minimal problems and a lot of fun to drive!
Great car. Bought it new, never had an issue, almost ready to turn 100,000 miles. Might have another 100,000 left in it!
junk bought it had it for 3 weeks and its idle stuck at 1500 rpm changed many parts nothing worked 4 months later came home from a 2 min drive shut it off came into house for a few hours and went to leave and wont start no dash lights wont roll over headlights work interior lights worked and flashers worked no starting tested the starter thats fine changed the ignition switch thats fine now yet still wont roll over with the key in.
I have had my car for 9 yrs. haven't had any major problems with this vehicle. i love this car. gas mileage is great.
This car is good for first time drivers it has a few minor issues that if kept un supervised could go bad but good on gas and reliability i baught it at 74500 miles and have pushed it severly 8 hours of driving a week but once somthing gose wrong it gose quick it took my car 4 days from the start of the issue to the fuel pump giving out
50000, not a single problem
best car ever 80,000 miles not one problem
really a nice car and holds up pretty well. Great on gas and great exterior. this year car is great for new drivers.