Pontiac Sunbird Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your Pontiac Sunbird
- Flower Hill Automotive (301) 685-0948 | 19.3mi
- Coho Automotive LLC (571) 358-8099 | 19.75mi
- Scott's Specialties Inc (301) 563-9796 | 20.65mi
- Marv & Mikes Transmission & Auto Repair (301) 637-4993 | 20.98mi
- Adrenaline Automotive (301) 640-5604 | 23.16mi
- Precision Tune Auto Care (703) 468-4903 | 18.83mi
- Winkler Automotive Service Center (301) 258-2774 | 17.37mi
- Hillmuth Certified Automotive of Gaithersburg (301) 547-3338 | 20.09mi
- Cardinal Plaza Shell (703) 349-4624 | 22.86mi
- Convenience Car Care Center (703) 594-4027 | 20.27mi
Pontiac Sunbird Problems
The torque converter clutch can stick "on" after extended freeway driving causing the engine to stall when coming to a stop. Our technicians tell us when this occurs, the engine usually will restart and stall when put into gear. After allowing about twenty minutes for the engine and transmission to cool down, the engine will start and the transmission will operate normally. Replacing the torque converter clutch solenoid, transmission filter, and fluid will generally correct this issue.
A coolant leak may develop from the water pump. The engine may overheat as a result of the coolant loss. A leaking water pump should be replaced.
The ignition module or crankshaft position sensor may fail causing the engine to die and not restart. Diagnoses will be necessary to determine if the module or crank sensor is causing the no start condition.
Pontiac Sunbird Questions
found it on the fire wall but can't find out what it controlls
I've replaced the fuel pump (twice)7 fuel filters, 2 strainers, idle air controller, maf sensor, spark plugs and wires, throttle position sensor, fuel pressure relay, fuel pressure regulator, some vacuum lines. Car ran then loss power, limped to the side of the road and died, hasn't ran f...
My converter is clogged and causing severe power loss, it has now been cut out.. don't care to replace it unless absolutely have to. can it be straight piped/glasspack or will it not run correctly due to the low/no back pressure?
Pontiac Sunbird Recalls
Pontiac Sunbird Reviews
This car is cheap and dependable, but VERY SLOW. It feels like a heavier car in hard cornering. Mine had a single overhead cam 2.0L I4, 3 speed automatic. I don't see how a V6 could improve this car at all.
works prety good
It's an older car. This is my 2nd one. I kind of got both of them by default. Definitely not my first choice of car. Watch out for major repairs such as: ABS dying, wheel bearings, power steering hose, and fuel injector problems.