Please help-Gas leak problem. Really worried on 1998 Pontiac Sunfire

I was filling up my car with gas and saw a very small amount of gas leaking on the ground. I decided not to fill it up all the way (I was close to empty and only put in about $15 to get half a tank). After I finished pumping my gas I looked under the car while I was at the gas station to see if anything was leaking and I didn't see anything. It's been about 2 hours and I went outside to check under the car where I noticed the leak and I don't see anything. I feel like my car has been driving funny lately, it doesn't seem to accelerate but once it gets going it seems fine. I am really worried because I have to go to work tomorrow and have read that this could be really dangerous. I also don't have any money to get it fixed right now. Does anyone have any idea what it could be and approximately what it would cost?

by in Kent, OH on October 21, 2010
2 answers 2 comments
ANSWER by on October 21, 2010
aftermarket tanks run about 190. the labor is 2.2 hours to change not cheap by any means. take it somewhere and have it checked to confirm. it may not be as bad as you think Roy
COMMENT by on October 21, 2010
Thanks so much for the response. Do you think I can drive it? I'm just really worried and don't know what to do.
ANSWER by on October 21, 2010
It's so hard to guess without being able to see the car and see where the fuel is leaking from. It sounds like the fuel leak may be from the filler neck or filler hose. Has the Check Engine Light/ Service Engine Light Soon light come on, the computer in your car monitors the evaporative emission system and checks for leaks and if there is a leak preset the light would turn on. Have this checked out because it is important and could be potentially dangerous.
COMMENT by on October 21, 2010
Thanks. The check engine light hasn't came on. It was leaking from the middle, a little closer to the far opposite side of where I was pumping my gas.