i was recently given a 1995 blazer by a family member to get around until i could afford to replace it. it has a service engine soon light on and the temperature gauge starts to climb within 10 minutes of driving and pegs out with the check engine gauges light on. when driving normal street speeds 40 mph, give or take, the needle will drop immediately when i accelerate the rise again when i let off of the gas. on the highway it may come down some at times upon acceleration but not as much. a week ago this problem was only after 10 minutes or so of running then after accelerating a time or two the temperature would fall and remain normal there appears to be oil in the coolant when i look in the overflow resivoir (it's brownish in color and slick to the touch. it has only bolied over coming out the hose from the overflow resivoir once. i have made sure that the radiator is full of coolant. i've heard opinions ranging from a bad thermostat to blown head gaskets to a cracked block. i don't want to continue to drive it like this but don't want to nickle and dime myself to death replacing thermostat and coolant and flushing, etc if it needs more major repairs.
overheating on 1995 Chevrolet Blazer
MOST POPULAR ANSWER by dandd ,
March 01, 2009
If you have brownish gook in your over flow bottle, then you have coolant mixing with the engine oil which is common with the Dexcool in GM many vehicles. I would have an experienced mechanic, experienced with Dexcool problems (GM style Orange colored Coolant) problems do a head gasket check ASAP.
Verified for the Chevrolet Blazer25 reports
1 answerOctober 16, 2010
Verified for the Chevrolet Blazer9 reports
Verified for the Chevrolet Blazer12 reports
1 answerOctober 02, 2016
This week's top 10
Recent Chevrolet Blazer Questions
- What would male it turn over but not fire
- i buying 1993 blazer the guy said it don't pass smog what would be the problem
- The car starts and everything, but will shut off after driving for awile
- 1993 chevy k1500 blazer 5.7 auto. Truck shuts off when it reaches running temp
- 83 K5 washer stays on all the time when wiper on. Switch&motor already replaced?
1995 Chevrolet Blazer Estimates
- Head Gasket Replacement ($1,029 - 1,407) in San Rafael, CA
- Radiator Replacement ($509 - 788) in Hammond, WI
- 55,000 Mile Service ($123 - 183) in Creekside, PA
- Power Door Lock Actuator Replacement ($169 - 229) in Clayton, ID
- Suspension Control Arm Replacement ($464 - 505) in Anza, CA
- Exhaust Muffler Replacement ($352 - 490) in Winfield, TN