Oldsmobile Silhouette Reviews

Oldsmobile Silhouette Reviews and Owner Comments

Purchased Silhouette new in August 2000. Vehicle has always been serviced with full synthetic oil. Vehicle now has 129,000 miles and I have replaced the intake manifold gasket twice. The transmission failed at 114,000 miles and had a total rebuild. All brake lines had to be replaced at around 105,000 miles. Air shocks replaced due to failure (Delco) at 40,000 mile intervals. Replaced starter twice as well as alternator at 121,000 miles. The undercarrage has rusted away due to extreeme amounts of salt used on roads in winter even though the vehicle had a car wash with underspray every two weeks. The steering rack and shocks replaced twice within 100,000 miles. The list goes on and on. The General strikes again!
I have 286,745 miles on my olds, same engine and tranny. rebuilt tranny about 155,000 but done nothing to engine but change oil. it has been a great van.
I purchased this vehicle in 2001 and was pleased with its ride. It was very smooth and quiet. Almost immediately, the CD player begin to overheat after playing it for an hour or two. At that point, the cd could not be retrieved as it would not eject. The car had to be stopped for several hours bgefore the cd player could be used again. I took it for repair several times but could get no help. I was told that unless they could replicate the problem, it did not exist. I called the manufacturer and they would not help. I am still driving the car and still have to make sure to turn it off after an hour of driving. This is no fun when you are on a long trip.
Single worst vehicle I've ever owned, and that's coming from someone who previously owned an '88 Chrysler Lebaron. Replaced the tranny at 66,000 miles. The 3400 V-6 was prone to pulling the rocker arms out of the aluminum heads - finally had to replace the entire engine at 90,000 miles. Currently having ongoing electrical issues with the brake lights. Just does not seem to be a well-built, well-engineered vehicle.
i have a 02 premiere edition. van is in mint cond. overall from 1 thru 10 i give her a 7.had to spend 1,000 in one week when my rear air shocks gave up=300, my abs also gave up=150, lost my power steering,psp (power steering pump) had to be changed,2 front tires,alignment, tire rotation=550. nice van but wont purchase a gm vehicle ever again..
I've had my olds for 5yrs have put 80k on it in that amount of time and have only had a handful of issues I couldnt repair myself otherwise very easy to fix and change any problems that occur.
luxury ride, whisper quiet
THIS VAN WAS PURCHASED USED SO IN ALL FAIRNESS IT DID US GREAT WE HAD LITTLE NIT PICKING PROBLEMS RUNNING LIGHT HARNESS WENT OUT ALSO THE HORN STOPPED WORKING AND REAR LIGHT ASSEMBLY WENT BAD BUT ALL IN ALL A GOOD USED CAR WOULD RECOMMEND AS GOOD WORK CAR.
Generally a basket case.