BMW Q&A

2004 BMW 745Li Question: Oil Problem after Final Check-up before Warranty Expired

745Li, Las Vegas, NV, January 22, 2011, 18:19

My Warranty expired Mid Jan 2010. I serviced car and had everything checked before expiration date. I had them check for oil leak and other items. They said the leak was transmission fluid and replaced the sealing sleeve for gearbox casing. Also noted in that area was 'BM Gasket, Oil Pan' and they added 1/2 liter oil. By mid Feb 2010 oil light was on and when I called to question it, since i didn't see any puddles under the car I was told it is a high performance engine and they burn oil faster. I decided to check the oil level myself and ended up putting in almost 4 qts. Each call to BMW every month and 1/2 when I had to put more oil in I was told the same thing. Now when the car idles for a few minutes, a big white cloud of smoke shoots out of the back when I step on the gas pedal. BMW did a diagnostic on it ($160) and told me it was an internal piston problem that would cost $8,000 in parts alone. Is there a chance that I have a good argument that it should have been caught before the warranty expired or that something occurred at the last service? Because until that service, oil levels were normal and I never missed any maintenance schedules but all of a sudden, a little over a month after the last one, I have warning lights popping up everywhere!

1 Answer

ZeeTech January 22, 2011, 19:28

You can certainly argue with them, also try to call BMW of North America and tell them about the problem. Make sure your complain is documented and ask a written answer.
    You need to have the diagnostic results from your local dealer about the "internal piston problem".
    Unfortunately there are lots and lots of problems with these engines, mainly very expensive internal problems.

Visitor, January 23, 2011, 11:43

Thank you for answering. I have asked for the report several times but now I guess I will have be more forceful.
    Do you by chance know about recalls? One opinion I got on the smoke was that it could be the crankcase vent valve & I just found out they had a recall on that part in 2006.

ZeeTech, January 23, 2011, 18:53

Yes, the crank case vent valve is a common thing, but the dealerships should have done this automatically when you take your car in for ANY reason. This job takes about 30 minutes with the vent hose replacement.
    There is an updated service kit with the cover, diaphragm and the spring in it. It has to be replaced on both valve covers.
    There is an other recall about the oil non-return valves. This also could be the problem on your vehicle. If you post an e-mail I can send you the entire recall information.
    Here is the main info:
    Campaign - Engine Oil Non-Return Valve Replacement

SI B11 11 03

January 2005
    Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B11 11 03 dated January 2004.

PERFORM THE PROCEDURE OUTLINED IN THIS SERVICE INFORMATION ON ALL AFFECTED VEHICLES THE NEXT TIME THEY ARE IN THE SHOP FOR MAINTENANCE OR REPAIRS.

[NEW] designates changes to this revision
    SUBJECT
    Service Action: Non-Return Valve Replacement

MODEL
    [NEW] E65/66 (7 Series) with the N62 or N73 Engine produced from 6/26/2001 to 9/9/2003

SITUATION

The 6 non-return valves located in the cylinder heads on the N62 and N73 engine are of a two-piece construction with an aluminum head pressed into a steel body. Under certain situations, the valve head could separate from the body. If this occurs, there would be a loss of oil accompanied by the illumination of the warning light in the instrument cluster.

[NEW] To minimize customer's inconvenience caused by this Service Action, you may pick-up (and deliver after repair) the affected vehicle from customer's home, or provide appropriate alternative transportation.

[NEW] Customers will be impressed when you return their cars cleaned inside and out and with a full tank of gas. Reimbursement information for the vehicle fueling and valet costs can be found in the Warranty portion of this bulletin.
    AFFECTED VEHICLES
    [NEW] This Service Action involves E65 and E66 7 series vehicles with the N62 and N73 engine which were produced from 6/26/2001 to 9/19/2003.

In order to determine if a specific vehicle is affected by this Service Action, it will be necessary to utilize the "Service Menu" of the DCS (Dealer Communication System). Based on the response of the system, either proceed with the corrective action or take no further action.

Beside this, there seems to be a problem with the valve guides. They can wear out quickly and have an internal leak to the combustion chamber.

745Li, February 14, 2011, 10:02

Zee,
    Sorry about the delay! I have been swamped and didn't get back to you with my email. I am looking to get my car fixed but I don't want to shell out $10K to BMW. They wanted $2,500 just to go into the engine to see if that IS the problem...Not even fix anything. I had several people look at my car and a couple tell me to sell it and others I have gotten an estimate much better than BMW. They all say pistons etc. Do part costs run about $2,500+? My email is lizoulalv836@yahoo.com Thanks.

ZeeTech, February 14, 2011, 11:58

Check your e-mail, please.

Visitor, February 18, 2011, 10:28

Greetings! I recently had problems with my 335i as well. Same conditions you stated, with the exception of smoke coming out. My warranty also expired,this week, but I have been months trying to reslove this. I believe we have an internal leak and they try to create a fascade that they "fix" the problem yet the light keeps coming on letting you know somethings up. My advisor asked me for the same approval of the diagnosis but I refused to give them a cent. I believe they are at fault and are trying to run the warranty to clean there hands of the problem. I plan to get an attorney to resolve the situation because the dealer is playing with people. What have u resolved?