My wifes 1998 RAV4 is leaking oil - it looks like it's coming from the front oil seal area. How much does it usually runs to replace this seal? Engine is running smooth - accelerates good - nohesitation - would that rule out head gasket?
Oil leak on 1998 Toyota RAV4
ANSWER by randy2 ,
January 30, 2012
Firestone quoted 444 dollars It is more than likely the front oil seal. I replaced mine. It had dryed up causing it to shrink and oil passes right past the seal. The oil comes out just in front of the oil pump. When you first look at it .It looks like it is the oil pan gasket. It seems this is a common problem with the Rav4
Verified for the Toyota RAV48 reports
1 answerFebruary 03, 2015
1 answerJune 29, 2013
4 answersNovember 26, 2013
2 answersApril 28, 2011
This week's top 10
Recent Toyota RAV4 Questions
- Suspect something is stuck in the gear box making 2nd gear inaccessible
- Car won't start on its own. Jump start works but dies after a few minutes.
- my check engine light and 4wheel drive light is on var may be in 4x mode
- why does my rav4 smoke when am driving without ac,but with AC it does not
- How do I get the radio out?
1998 Toyota RAV4 Estimates
- Battery Replacement ($125 - 167) in Grand Lake Stream, ME
- 150,000 Mile Service ($219 - 361) in Conyngham, PA
- AC Evaporator Replacement ($922 - 1,354) in Richville, MN
- Alternator Replacement ($349 - 852) in Bowerston, OH
- Stabilizer Bushing Replacement ($263 - 327) in Tabernacle, NJ
- Window Switch Replacement ($90 - 99) in Williston, ND