P0430 - OBD-II Trouble Code
Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)
Our emissions expert has put together the following information about the P0430 fault code. We have also included diagnostic procedures you can take to your repair shop if the mechanic is having difficulty analyzing the code.
OBD II Fault Code
- OBD II P0430
Fault Code Definition
The Bank 2 Catalytic Converter's emissions reducing efficiency has fallen below the minimum allowable threshold. This efficiency is tracked by a monitoring Oxygen Sensor that is mounted near the outlet of the Catalytic Converter.
- Check Engine Light will illuminate
- In many cases, no abnormal symptoms may be noticed
- In some cases, there may be a noticeable lack of engine power
Common Problems That Trigger the P0430 Code
- Defective Catalytic Converter
- Internal engine damage resulting in high oil consumption and/or a leaking Head Gasket has damaged the Catalytic Converter
- Oxygen Sensor(s) are replaced when the real problem is a damaged Catalyst
- Catalyst is replaced when the real problem is internal engine damage, which is producing elevated emissions levels
- Catalyst is replaced when a misfiring engine is the real problem