Oxygen Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1, Sensor 3)
Our emissions expert has put together the following information about the P0144 fault code. We have also included diagnostic procedures you can take to your repair shop if the mechanic is having difficulty analyzing the code.
OBD II Fault Code
- OBD II P0144
Fault Code Definition
The Rear Catalyst Monitoring Oxygen Sensor evaluates the rear most Catalytic Converter's emissions-reducing capability in a system with two Catalytic Converters for each bank of cylinders. Code P0144 is set when the Rear Oxygen Sensor voltage signal to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) remains too high for an extended period of time.
- Check Engine Light will illuminate
- In many cases, no abnormal symptoms may be noticed
- In some cases, the vehicle will fail an Emissions Test
- Tailpipe emissions may be elevated
Common Problems That Trigger the P0144 Code
- Defective Rear Most Oxygen Sensor
- Faulty Rear Most Oxygen Sensor wiring or connections
- Shorted Rear Most Oxygen Sensor Heater Element
- Oxygen Sensor is replaced when the problem is faulty sensor wiring or connections
- Rear Oxygen Sensor is replaced when the problem is an exhaust leak before the Rear Oxygen Sensor