Dodge Q&A

1995 Dodge Neon Question: Numerous problems with this car, stalling, fan, acceleration Please help!!

Visitor, Apple Valley, CA, April 08, 2010, 21:17

I originally had a kia sephia, which broke down. A friend of mine who is a mechanic let me take the dodge neon for 700, and considering I was low on funds, i took it. So now I'm trying to fix it up, because I know the car has potential.
problem 1: The car periodically just cuts off. When this happens I have to bring it to a stop, put it in park, then turn it back on. It almost always happens when I'm reversing uphill out of my driveway, and sometimes happens while I'm driving.
problem 2: this may be related to problem 1, The car starts sputtering when you reach 3-4000 RPMs, the meter starts jumping around, and sometimes it even causes it to cut off.
problem 3: The speedometer periodically stops working while driving
problem 4: The car doesnt blow out air period, the only time it does is when i'm driving, and when the air comes out it smells dusty.I'm pretty sure the AC doesnt work at all.
Please help me out guys, This is my last chance at a car.

April 09, 2010, 11:09

here is list of shops that can diagnose your problems which are substantial.

• Medium-star Best Answer
    August 13, 2010, 12:27

My daughter has a 95 with 193,000 on it and it also did most of the things you stated. It would intermittently stall or stumble going down the highway. Sometimes when it died it would start right back up and other times you had to wait a couple of minutes for the asd relay to reset itself. All of the problems went away when I re-soldered the dash cluster circuit board. Most of the problem cracked solder joints were on the main pin connectors but I did find a few more bad joints on the board. You will find instructions on this repair elsewhere in the forums. Type in instrument cluster solder repair for your neon.