I have a 2003 pontiac vibe, and I maintain it very well. however lately when I first start it up, more so when it is cold out side, it has a rapping sound coming from the front of the engin. as the engin gets warm it quits. I check underneath the engin and it is not a rod knocking. I am pretty good a fixing stuff but I doint like ripping in to somthing without knowing what causing the problem. I think it might be the timing chain tensinor.
noise in engine on 2003 Pontiac Vibe
MOST POPULAR ANSWER by Tyreguy ,
February 12, 2011
More than likely, you are experiencing (and hearing) a 'dry start' due to the cold temperatures. Its simply a lack of oil getting to the valve train due to the oil being 'thicker' due to extreme cold temps. Its a very common issue.
2 answersNovember 14, 2010
2 answersMarch 17, 2011
2 answersMarch 09, 2013
This week's top 10
Recent Pontiac Vibe Questions
- where is the vapor canister purge valve located
- The sunroof area of the headliner has developed a really annoying rattle.
- battery light is on, daytime running light don't work, battery & alternator new
- Cost of having torque switch unstuck
- i turn my 2003 pontiac vibe off and hear a clicking underneath the vehicle what
2003 Pontiac Vibe Estimates
- Thermostat Replacement ($212 - 291) in Brenton, WV
- Starter Replacement ($371 - 641) in Smithville, AR
- Clutch Slave Cylinder Replacement ($134 - 199) in Dudley, PA
- Wheel Bearing Replacement - Rear ($427 - 662) in Millbrook, AL
- Engine Control Module Replacement ($419 - 774) in Hoboken, GA
- Brake Hydraulic System Bleed ($149 - 189) in Raleigh, IL