I have a 2003 pontiac vibe, and I maintain it very well. however lately when I first start it up, more so when it is cold out side, it has a rapping sound coming from the front of the engin. as the engin gets warm it quits. I check underneath the engin and it is not a rod knocking. I am pretty good a fixing stuff but I doint like ripping in to somthing without knowing what causing the problem. I think it might be the timing chain tensinor.
noise in engine on 2003 Pontiac Vibe
ANSWER by Tyreguy ,
February 12, 2011
More than likely, you are experiencing (and hearing) a 'dry start' due to the cold temperatures. Its simply a lack of oil getting to the valve train due to the oil being 'thicker' due to extreme cold temps. Its a very common issue.
2 answersNovember 14, 2010
2 answersMarch 17, 2011
2 answersMarch 09, 2013
This week's top 10
2003 Pontiac Vibe Estimates
- Power Steering Pump Replacement ($361 - 666) in Brenton, WV
- Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement ($188 - 273) in Smithville, AR
- Valve Cover Gasket Replacement ($109 - 141) in Dudley, PA
- Timing Belt Replacement ($386 - 513) in Millbrook, AL
- CV Joint Boot Replacement ($265 - 307) in Hoboken, GA
- Brake Light Switch Replacement ($66 - 103) in Raleigh, IL