No Key Code on 1995 BMW 318i

I purchased a 1995 318i BMW from a previous owner 2 years ago and I lost the key a couple of months ago. I took it to a BMW car dealer to make another key and was told that 100 BMW's my make and model were made without a key code. Now I have a car just sitting in the yard. I need to know how to get this resolved. Do anyone know who I can call directly other than a car dealer to get my car a key.

by in Suffolk, VA on January 03, 2009
Get Your Car Fixed at a RepairPal Certified Shop.
We certify shops based on expertise, quality work, and verified customer reviews
3 answers 2 comments
ANSWER by , January 05, 2009
Call a local locksmith and explain the problem, Locksmiths encounter many different problems and one of them will know what to do.
COMMENT by , January 05, 2009
Thank your for that information. I have already had a locksmith to come out and try to unlock the doors, but the lock system on it does not release without a key. They called the BMW lot and they told him we would have to replace the entire lock system and ignition. They said they would cover the part at $798 but we would have to pay $695 to have it installed. I have a problem with that because this is a defect with the car when it was originally made. The expense should be theirs to cover. So, I am really trying to locate someone who can give me a phone number, address or email address to someone who can help resolve this issue that is able to make this kind of decision. Sorry, I should have explained this at first. Thank you again
COMMENT by , January 06, 2009
I have AAA plus and one of their services is having a locksmith cut me a new key, Do you have any tow service that covers that?
ANSWER by , May 14, 2010
I had the same problem with my 318 and I whent to a lock smith and gave them the VIN of the car and he made the key the same day.The thing is that I'm in Germany.
ANSWER by , June 22, 2014
the keys dont have chips on 1995,a lock smith can take the key switch apart a make and make a new key,are possibly you could change the switch out