Reviews for Nissan Versa years:

Nissan Versa Reviews and Owner Comments

Nissan VersaOwner Reviews (39 reviews)
    demingite, Deming, NM, June 29, 2014 19:41
    I bought my 2008 Versa new in 2009 (leftover on the dealer lot). Had a few very minor problems at first (tire pressure warning light, gas door latch) that took too many trips to the dealer to get fixed, but otherwise things were okay until a few weeks ago. Catastrophic failure (oily antifeeze all over the engine compartment). Had it towed to the dealership because there was one month left on the drive train warranty and then waited two weeks before we even got a loaner car. Kept telling us they were waiting for the guys upstairs to approve the repair. Two days later I was told that a failure in the radiator had caused coolant to leak into the transmission, destroying it and the radiator and that because the problem originated in the radiator it wasn't covered under the drivetrain warranty. $4400 repair. I trade it in as is on a Kia instead. Nissan may have saved themselves a repair bill but they lost a customer for life.
  • 2014 Nissan Versa
    loser and lost, Bakersfield, CA, June 06, 2014 13:01
    bought new 2014. nothing but problems. started at 1500 miles acted like a vapor lock, Had just filled up.twice in the road it just quit. 1 more time it died at a stop light over 1 minute to restart. they got a bullettin that over 100 abient this would happen it had not been over 70abient. next laugh a super tech shows up drives it over a bumpy road=yeh right and gets it to code. lose wire from factory.and watch the service writers they got a game to, took one to the gm and had a talk.the biggest laugh just came they wanted me to drive it with a tech to pinpoint the problem or be able to say customer cannot duplicate. average failure ever 800 mils currently 4000 total
    Visitor, Plattsburgh, NY, April 02, 2014 19:32
    My Versa CVT 2011 shut off while driving in traffic. It was summer time, all electric equipements were running (radio, a/c) I was able to restart the car on neutral and turning the ignition again. I brought the car to Nissan dealer & they recommended me to have my injectors clean up (Not usually required under 20 000 Kilometer of use). Short after my visit to the dealer I experienced the same problem again. My dealer refused to pay back my injectors clean up fees even if they had a bad diagnostic. After complaining, they agreed to inspect the car. I got my car back only a week after. They have changed my fuel pump but figured out later that it wasn't the root cause. They said it was a loose connector that caused the car to shut down. I Wish I had never bought this car. This problem seems to occur only in hot temperature & when I fill up gas at S_ _ _ _.
    Visitor, Westminster, MD, March 27, 2014 05:53
    I Have a 2007 Nissan Versa and Im telling you I have had all kinds of problems. I was on the highway when the car just cut off. Then have had to replace the exhaust system, now the car will not pass the emission test now I need to replace heater control circuit sensor circuit bank, the tire pressure light will not go off no matter how much air I put into the tires and God only know what else. I an truly disappointed with this car because I have done nothing except put money into it. No wonder they keep calling me about a extended warranty on this car.
    Visitor, Greensboro, MD, March 09, 2014 19:18
    I got the 2009 Versa in 2010. It was brand new. I don't use the hatch very often and the handle on the back is broken. I took it to a shop when I went up to visit my mom and they said the piece is over 300 alone. I know they are telling me the truth since it is my brother in law who owns the shop. he even ordered the electric piece to replace just in case. What a rip off 300 for a handle and then there is the cost of labor and paint. The seal on the doors comes off and the plastic on the door by the floor keeps coming off and you can't get it to stay on. the passenger side arm rest, the vinyl is coming off. I love Nissan this is my 3rd one, but disappointed.
    Visitor, Beaumont, TX, February 13, 2014 18:46
    Brakes go to the floor when holdingdown brakes
    Visitor, Frankfort, KY, January 23, 2014 21:46
    my car shut off on me while i was driving it an i believe my fuel pump is the problem because it will only run if i spray starting fluid in it but not with out. How do i change the fuel pump or where is the fuse for the fuel line located maybe just a fuse is my problem ?
    Visitor, Salem, OR, January 17, 2014 11:41
    My Versa now has 60K miles on it and still drives like a dream. I had a problem with the electric power steering when I purchased the car. Nissan replaced this and NO difficulties since. So far this has been the ONLY problem with my hatchback :) A Gr8 car by any measure. I've added many extras like Mag wheels, Big Michelins, front end Mask, and a Gr8 stereo. One of the best cars I've owned. I'm a very happy camper !!
    Visitor, Visalia, CA, December 22, 2013 10:19
    I was able to drive my 2012 Nissan Versa to the Nissan dealer to be repaired after having some problems with the car starting and warning lights on the dash flashing. The car has now been at the Nissan dealership in Visalia, California for over 5 weeks. I have been driving a rental car provided and covered by the warranty. My name is David Gregory Carnes, I live at 1406 W. Princeton Ave., Visalia, CA 93277. My phone number is (559) 738-8222.
    Visitor, Myrtle Beach, SC, October 13, 2013 10:39
    We have driven this car from Ohio to South Carolina at lest 5 times since new......and we plan another trip next month. I have been very happy with this little car and had only had problems with the back hatch, gas springs and hatch lock.....we use it a lot. Best mileage I got was 34MPG.....70MPH to 80MPH on Interstate 77.....I dont know what it is supposed to do but i am OK with that. I would buy another one!
    Visitor, Dayton, OH, August 22, 2013 06:30
    I bought a 2009 Versa in 2009. Was mostly happy up until the last year. Wheel covers don't last, fell off. It only had @ 50,000 miles on it when the battery died in May 2013. I understand batteries at some point will need replaced but even the tech at auto parts said that was a bit early for that. Then in June (this year 2013) the AC goes out. Took it to my mechanic for diagnostic ($90) was told the evaperator was bad $750 to fix. I wrote to Nissan Customer NO-Service, gave them the particulars and was advised to take it to an authorized Nissan dealer for diagnosis then they would review my case for possible assistance. Another $107 for diagnostics. Oh yay, the dealer says the compressor is bad and will fix for $1,233. Who is right? Two different parts. I left a message with Nissan rep that has never called me back to this day so I went through the many phone prompts to get another human. I gave them the info from the dealer, "will forward your info to regional rep who will call you probably tomorrow." She called alright, "we're so sorry you're having this problem but due to your car being out of warranty there is nothing we can do at this time." Really?!?! We all already knew it was out of warranty when I said 2009. Why on earth would you recommend me taking it to the dealer, charge me more money, if its just a black and white warranty issue? Why on earth would you say you review these things case by case? Oh its clear you look at each case NOPE, NOPE, NOPE, NOPE. This young of a car (that I'm still paying off) SHOULD NOT be having these major issues already. My Toyota rusted out before mechanical issues ever started. I called Nissan yet again and yelled long and loud that they supposedly will refund my diagnostic charge (no check yet). Oh but I was wished a nice day. I told the lady, "well that won't happen, you try riding around in 90 degrees with no air." I will not put that kind of money in this young of a car. I was thinking about trading up in the Nissan line but will never buy Nissan. They could care less about thier customers once you're out the door. DO NOT BUY NISSAN-EVER!!!
    Visitor, Ossining, NY, July 09, 2013 23:19
    I have bought the car in 2010 from Enterprise 2008 Versa. Overall was nice little car, But fuel economy could be better. City drive was like 12 gallons get only around 250 miles, and HW 300 miles. Right now it's better after I put seafoam in the tank and the red oil, forgot the name of it, improve to 300 to 350. But real issue I see in customer care in dealership. After I've got the car was the problem with the swings on the road from bumps or wind, and metal on metal slight bangs. And after 2 years I found out that it's sub-frame bushings problem. I took it to CurryNissan in Yorktown, NY. After explaining the problem, they mess with the car for an hour, and said that I need starts, tires, alignment, and someother crap for over $1000, the parts I never had problem with. And the reason I came for, they just don't want to talk about. Piss me off scam bags. Bushings Nissan should fix it for free, there is no way it will worn out, I would say faulty parts. So they drove me crazy, and gave me a bill for $130 at the end for doing nothin. On the top of it, the 'best' part, after I left, had to fill up the tank, SURPRISE.., gas tank door would not open. The lever would pull the latch, but door would not pop up, I'm suspecting they did something. So this is the CurryNissan. Another dealer in Mount Kisko, I went before there, they gave me dirty look. I tried to trade in there also, they drove my car, made mess in it, so I never go there again. I don't go to dealer for repair, just to get rip off for little to no work. But in regular shops told me that they would not be able to fix the sub-frame bushings and it is better to go to dealer. Another thing hub caps, if you change tires, and mechanics not careful, then they will damage fragile clips on hub caps, so eventually they will fall off while you driving. Overall I do satisfied with the car, but customer care is sucks.
    Visitor, Benton, LA, April 15, 2013 17:15
    I purchased a 2012 Nissan Versa, and it is being towed AGAIN to the dealership as I type this. It just came out of the shop for a TCM sensor needing to be replaced (couldn't drive over 20 mpg), and now just out of the blue the radiator is just pouring water!!! REALLY??? a 2012 vehicle and it is only April of 2013!!!! Give me a break!!! NEVER
    Visitor, Belton, SC, January 15, 2013 13:12
    Horrible, horrible, poorly made car. I had most of the problems described and some. Nissan also has the worst customer service as well. Report to the Government recall agency. I traded mine in for another make and will never buy Nissan again. I get emails from a post I put online a while ago from people who have the same problems. Everyone has to contact the Government recall agency, after they get enough complaints they should investigate. If you see anything positive written about this car, it's either one of the very few lucky folks who got one that actually works or a Nissan employee.
    Visitor, Palmetto, FL, January 07, 2013 09:14
    Bought new with "Lifetime" extended drive train warranty to use for our company. SL Hatchback with CVT and hands free. Runs ok. Once Ethonol came into Florida gas mileage dropped to 26 - 27 MPG. Damning rattles from dash and hatch back cover - cheap, cheap, cheap. Original tires lasted 53k miles - could have gotten another 7k but had puncture that required replacement. Have done 100% of Maintenace on 4k mile synthic oil change interval - yet engine oil always looks dirty?? Last time ran engine oil cleaner theu it. STILL LOOKS DIRTY?? Engine always had mechanical "knocking" sound ESEPECIALLY on COLD 40 - 50 degree mornings. Took back to dealership twice - told it sounds fine? No Vales to adjust. They "ALL" sound like that?? Had fuel pump/regulator fail - warranty repaired at 52k miles. But have had 4 other major failures: 1) 52k miles - Left Axel with inner and outter CVC joints replaced (39101 - EM40C) - repaired under warrantry. No boot torn - just worn out in 52k miles??? 2) 68k miles - Right side axel shaft with inner and outter CVC joints (39100 - EM40C) $624 of which I paid $100 Deductible under the Exteneded Warranty. No boot torn - just worn out in 68k miles??? 3 & 4) Upon picking up from dealer who replaced RT Ft Axel, I noticed a "Clunking" sound coming from Rt Ft. I assumed it was something left loose so I took it back to dealer to be charged $50 & told "EXCESSIVE PLAY BETWEEN FRONT STRUT COILS AND UPPER BEARINGS" And I must have BOTH Strut Bearings replaced to fix it. Strut Bearings cost $28 each. With Labor and necessary Alignment - $540 Estimated Cost. STRUT BEARINGS??? WTF - $540?? Has anyone ever heard of this BS before? Please advise.
    Visitor, Moodus, CT, December 28, 2012 10:49
    I've had this car for about 6 months and am on pace to put 40,000 miles on it by the end of my first year with it. So far, it has held up very nicely and have had no mechanical problems whatsoever. Overall fuel economy is great and I am getting just slightly under 40mpg combined. The interior light flickers a little bit while it's on, but it is merely a mild inconvenience and as of this writing goes away after the first few seconds. Overall I am very happy with this purchase and it makes a fine little commuter car.
    Visitor, San Jose, CA, November 07, 2012 08:04
    I own a Nissan Versa Hatchback, I am soooo not happy, besides the lack of power, gas mileage is lousy. One year later, I needed a knew engine, and this was not the first car to need it, it was the third in this dealership! So how many other cars are there like this? Then when I asked Nissan for a different vehicle because I didn't"TRUST" this one anymore they told well, this is your car and we fixed it for you, you bought it! You're kidding, even the DMV thought this was crazy! Years a being a Nissan customer to being treated like this, never buy NISSAN again!!
    Visitor, West Haven, CT, October 03, 2012 16:11
    I have had to crank the engine at least twice to get the engine started immediately. Lately it has been a 10 minute embarrassing crank period, with others wondering if I am "in need a jumpstart?" in parking lots. It is not the battery, it seems. I suspect the sparks, the fuel filter, the fuel pump, or at worst, all three. My 2007 Versa SL is a hatch with under 20000 miles. I actually like the car overall (it does have severe blind spots…this is a big drawback, and the AC started becoming warm at around 15000 miles), and I normally recommend things I like. However, this fuel pump system seems to be my biggest reason for recommending with 70% thumbs up. If I am able to fix this spark plug/fuel filter/fuel pump situation on my own, then more percentage of my thumbs will follow. If I have to pay hundreds in repairs for this, expect another review with more negative comments!
    Visitor, Ashburn, VA, August 04, 2012 05:46
    Great car for the price fuel efficient We are now a one car family and we are quite satisfied with the 2012 Versa.
    Visitor, East Stroudsburg, PA, July 08, 2012 06:51
    I ALSO HAVE A 2012 VERSA WITH 4000 MILES ON IT CHECK ENGINE LIGHT KEEPS COMMING ON AND OFF EVERY TIME I TAKE IT TO THE DEALER ITS A DIFFERENT STORY THEY HAVE HAD MY CAR FOR TWO WEEKS NOW AND STILL CANT FIND THE ISSUE I ASK FOR A NEW CAR OR MY MONEY BACK I WAS TOLD NO. THEY TRIED TO SELL ME A DIFFERENT CAR THAT WAS GOING TO COST ME MORE MONEY THIS CAR SUCKS NEVER GONNA DRIVE NISSAN AGAIN WHAT A BIG BIG MISTAKE
    Visitor, Houston, TX, July 02, 2012 10:26
    I have bought a 2012 Nissan Versa. I now have 4,000 miles on my Versa and it has cut off on me three different times. This happens when I am going slow. Does anyone else have this problem?
    Visitor, Saint James, MO, June 22, 2012 09:38
    Coming up on 4 years, bought our Versa new in 2008. Nearing 100,000 miles and while a basic vehicle, we have been very pleased. Some of the interior is made cheaply - one plastic piece near the floor board has come off 3-4 times and the passenger front armrest fabric is coming out. Overall, though for 100,000 miles, we have been very pleased with this little car. It has the 1.8 4 cyl engine and gets about 30 MPG. We drive about half and half city and highway. I'll probably get something a little nicer next time around, but overall I recommend the Versa.
    Visitor, Autryville, NC, May 01, 2012 07:47
    We have a 2007 nissan versa 1.8L. We have put 45,000 miles on it with one long road trip through the snow and 8 moutain passes from WA to NC. The first problem, yup, was the tire light. It has a mind of its own. The second problem is the outer door handle. I unlocked the door one day and went to get into the car. I opened the door and pulled on the handle and voila! The door handle came right out! The second thing now is the brakes. They stick to the rotors. You have to lift the pedal off the floor to make the brakes come off of the rotors fully. Never again Nissan!!
    Visitor, Waianae, HI, February 12, 2012 00:07
    Don't get the 6 speed manual!!!!!! Ratio to short! shifting is redundant! Clutch slave and clutch lemon!! Too much shifting burns it out quick!Should of got the CVT automatic! Oh well Live and learn.
    Visitor, Young America, MN, January 07, 2012 18:07
    this car is super bad
    Visitor, Williamsport, PA, December 08, 2011 05:47
    I bought my Nissan Versa S brand new in late 2007. I had to take it in once for the engine motor mount went bad. It was still under warranty. I understand this is common problem with this make/model. I still get 34-35 miles to the gallon. I use regluar unleaded fuel. I am 43 years old drive 20 mins to work daily. Live in Central PA. I follow the maintance schedule fairly closely. Currently 63,000 miles. I love my Nissan Versa. Thinking of getting the Leaf once they get the design flaws worked out of the system. It is a "zippy" car around town. Handles nicely. You won't brake any speed limits climbing mountains in this car. But you will save $$$ in gas. Nice safety air bag systems through out the car. I too have had issues with the Tire Pressure Sensors. I understand that this is a common issue with these cars over 75,000 miles. Other than the pesky Nissan Hubcabs that keep losing their clips....I would recommend this car.
    Visitor, Tucson, AZ, November 15, 2011 18:09
    First, I really like my Versa; it has about 25k miles. Recently I have had a starting problem. I would have to crank the starter for a long time (greater than 15 s) before starting. I tried pumping the accelerator, etc. I called to dealer service department; the rep. said the problem was a faulty pressure sensor; the cost to fix the problem: over $300. If one were kind, they would say that I'm frugile. Anyway I came up with a FIX. Turn the ignition ON, pump the accelerator twice, then turn the key to START. The car starts in two or three cranks, everytime.
    Visitor, Keller, TX, October 04, 2011 20:12
    Nissan Versa puts the Sub in standard. We bought this car "used" with only 750 miles in 2009. So far we are just under 6000 miles and it would seem that the problems have started. For what ever reason the key will not come out of the ignition and it has been this way for a couple of months. After a couple of years the car battery had to be replaced for no apparent reason (with about 4000 miles). As a base modle hatchback the car is missing several features that one might consider standard. It has completely manual locks and windows, no cabin lights in the front, and no ABS just to name a few things. The seats have no lumbar support and as a relatively tall person I have to push the seat back so far that I have to hyperextend my arms to reach the steering wheel limiting my range of motion and making driving rather unconfortable. Also I have found that the gas milage is not as good as one would think coupled with the fact that the car has a tiny gas tank you have to fill up more often then you would think. I too have found that having a tiny engine with hardly any horse power makes it very difficult to keep up with traffic on the highway. To give credit where it is due I must admit that the turning radius is amazing and the AC is excelent. So if you are looking for an unconfortable, stripped down, car with hardly any standard features this is the one for you! Otherwise you might want to look else where.
    Visitor, Reno, NV, September 27, 2011 15:05
    We purchased ou 2007 Versa Hatchback gently used (1 year old) from the Reno dealer and have never been happier. We have driven a few long trips since then (Southern california and Colorado) plus several short trips over the hill (Northern California). She has been great in the winter - survived many a snowstorm. I too have had issues with the tire pressure sensor and also chose to ignore it rather than dish out money for repair. After nearly 4 years, We have had our first real issue - the trunk will not open. It cannot be open with a key and we do not have a trunk pop on the smart key. It can be opened mannually through the interior release. It just started last night - checked fuses and other items mentioned on forums...but everything I have read suggests I would be better off taking it in. Even with this glitch...I would by it again.
    birdgirl999, Nokomis, FL, May 12, 2011 16:40
    I purchased a new, 2007 Nissan Versa in July 2007. One month later, I brought the car in after experiencing trouble starting the car. It took at least 5 cranks at a few seconds each to get the engine to turn over. They replaced the fuel pump assembly that August 2007. Same problem reappeared, which they replaced the fuel pump, again in March 2008. May 2008 - (third visit) brought it in and they replaced fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator. August 2008 same problem arose and fuel pump replaced. Wrote Nissan Corporate Affairs, after my fourth visit to Nissan service, in August 2008 addressing the issue and received a voicemail response. Problem was fixed until December 2009, when fuel pump was replaced for the fifth time. I noticed the problem would occur on cold starts, after the car sat for at least a couple hours. And was more common during cold weather months. Nonetheless, a new car should not have problems like this! Now, in May 2011, I am experiencing the same problem. I am scheduled for my sixth fuel pump replacement. This time, however, was interesting because I am out of my factory warranty. Originally, the service manager tried to charge me $95 to diagnose the problem, despite my report of the same problem I have experienced intermittently the past 4 years. After an extended discussion, he agreed to diagnose the problem free of charge and the report revealed the problem was the fuel pump - yet again! This problem is covered under the power train warranty....but only 5 years and 50,000 miles. I'm quickly approaching that 50,000 mi and wonder how long this one will last... My advice - don't buy a Versa. Do some research and find that many Versa drivers are experiencing the same problem. Learn from others' mistakes! I wish I didn't like everything else about the car, but this issue is beginning to make me hate my Nissan Versa.
    Visitor, Orlando, FL, February 24, 2011 06:55
    I bought a 2009 Nissan Versa a little over a year and a half ago and I absolutely love it. It's comfortable and roomy for driver and passengers alike, pretty zippy for a 4 cylinder thanks to the CVT and gets great gas mileage. My only real complaint is the fact that the wheel covers/hubcaps seem to be poorly designed. I lost the front right, only to replace it and lose the front left on the way home! I'd also say be sure you know what you want and how much you want to pay when you go to the dealer. The dealer attempted to charge me $70 for the replacement hubcap, but eventually came down to $50 when I showed him they were available online for $40. This time I bought a set of 4 replicas for $35.
    Visitor, Wingo, KY, February 22, 2011 07:25
    I love my Versa hatchback! 2007, and its been the best car ever. It is great on gas and has been on several long trips without any problems. Very roomy and has lots of packing space. It gets over 100 miles every day and is very reliable for my job. Cranks right up on those 5 degree winter days without delay. Heats and cools quickly. The only thing is that pesky tie light it's the only pain with this car. I just look at it as alittle personality. Yes i would by another Versa hatchback. OH Get the tan interior it is much easier to keep clean.
    Visitor, Camden, SC, February 02, 2011 06:50
    love my Versa, over 145K miles on it already, only issue thus far is the pesky tire sensor indicator light, i finally got to the point where i just ignore it! the dealer wanted 80$ to run diagnostics to figure out which sensor was bad, and causing the light to come on, and then another hundred bucks to replace the sensor! for that, I'll ignore the light! other than that, lvoe the car, nothing but oil changes in four years and almost 150K miles
    Swtcap, Lathrop, CA, January 13, 2011 11:11
    We will never buy another Nisan again ....ever! This car is awful we bought this car 1 year ago used with 32,000 miles it is a 2008. Since sever had the car we have to a lot an extra 200 to 500 dollars ever other month. The first thing we noticed all the hub caps started popping off after that the low tire pressure light came on had that fixed for 270.00 only to have it come back on 2 days later took it back an had all the switches replaced because the engine oil had leaked and fried all the switches for 280.00 only to go back a week later to find out we needed a whole new engine which came to a whopping 5000.00 our mouths dropped how does a car that is two years old need a new engine we were 4000 miles over the warranty and Nissan wouldn't work with us at all ... So we replaced the engine a took a sigh of relief thinking ok now it's fixed only to have the a/c go out or about 180.00 and 6 weeks after the new engine the fuel pump went out to replace that was another 470.00 So do I think Nissan is a good buy ...sure if you have extra money and time for you car to be in the shop ...go for it the best part of it is Nissan company doesn't even care!
    Visitor, Dundalk, MD, December 11, 2010 08:54
    This car is lemon. This is the last Nissan for me. Good buy Nissan, never again. Juan owner of the Nissan Verssa
    Bob1951, Kent, WA, September 22, 2010 22:24
    Car is great service great hurrah for Younkers Nissan in Renton WA Bob Simons
    Visitor, Millbury, OH, August 09, 2010 09:27
    This is a great car. Quiet, sometimes one does not know that it running. Great Air Conditioning drives like a dream.
    Visitor, Oak Ridge, TN, July 07, 2010 20:44
    the car has been good and very reliable, great on gas. Has been on a lot of road trips. But I am also done with Nissan, their after-sale service is awful, they are rude and try to tell you the thing that is wrong with your car is not covered under warranty. I brought my car in with knocking noise in the engine and it has 3 documented oil changes and one at home (that I did not keep receipt for) and it has 13,000 miles on it and they said it was probably sludge due to lack of oil changes and refused to service the car. I fought with corporate and they finally okayed a different Nissan service shop to look at it. It's still in the shop, so we will see. But bottom line, service sucks, before this we had a Nissan X-Terra and they always tried to weasel their way out of reparing stuff that was still under warranty. Done with Nissan.
    VERSA, San Mateo, CA, September 02, 2009 10:23
    The Versa is an awesome car. It is the SL HB with the CVT. Very peppy and GR8 on gas. It's my teen's car and I love it for around town.