Nissan Versa Reviews

Nissan Versa Reviews and Owner Comments

Dont buy NISSAN, DON'T BUY, DON'T BUY, DON'T BUY, DON'T BUY
I bought my 2010 new, and I notice difference. I've had problems soon after buying it. -plastic on the back/trunk area, broken after oil change. -got dealer to replace, but the broken pc still inside you could hear it -front lights keeps blown out -steering issues OMG -Left coil snapped at 4th year mark -Right coil snapped before 5th year mark -winter: engine too noise, vibration too much -armrest covers starts to come off for no reason -brakes changed and now squeeking like mad
I have been working on one of these for a friend, for a couple of years now. I have developed my own personal opinion of this car through my mechanical experience, and find it to be a highly over priced piece of crap. The subframe "floats" on rubber mounts that road salt destroys. All rubber bushings in this car cannot hold up to "salt belt" weather conditions. All of the factory service and factory parts are excessively over priced. From a mechanical design point of view, I'd love to slap around the designers! This car is HORRIBLE, CHEAPLY BUILT and a total piece of junk. Further.... I have NEVER seen a car where you can kick the front tire backwards, and the tire on the other side of the car move FORWARD AND BACK!!!!! The whole subframe, suspension, motor and transmission are bolts to rubber mounts that the body SITS on.
I have a 2009 Nissan Versa SL hatchback and this car SUCKS!!!!! The CVT transmission totally went out at 109,500 miles. It started making a loud whizzing sound, and over the course of the next few weeks it got progressively worse. I called the dealership in Apex NC and made an appointment, drove the car there, only to be told that I needed to pay them a $75.00 diagnostic fee. I had just lost my job and didn't have the money, so I left...and oh yea, I ended up almost getting killed on the way home and almost caused a massive car pile up when my car lurched from 70 to almost zero in like three seconds literally, then and wouldn't go above 20 MPH...all in rush hour traffic!!! Once I finally got it home and parked it that day, it never moved again. I tried backing it up after I parked it that day and it just revved like I was going to blow a head gasket...so it has been sitting in my driveway in exactly the place I parked it for over a year now!!! A mechanic friend of mine told me CVT transmissions are garbage and that you can't fix part of them, you have to replace the whole thing. Sure enough, I couldn't find anyone in my area who would repair it without charging me $4,000 for a new one, and most places won't even work on them!!! So...I had to resurrect my 2004 Toyota Matrix (best car EVERRR) with 220,000 miles (which by the way I have NEVER had to make any major repairs to and in fact, just put new rotors on her for the first time @ 210,000!!!). I hadn't driven my Toyota in over a year and she started right up and has been driving like a dream...which made me wonder...why the heck didn't I get another Matrix instead????? A few weeks ago, a friend of mine started doing some in-depth research, and found that Nissan extended the warranties on their CVT transmissions to 120,000 miles for certain years, and 2009 was one of them. I called a DIFFERENT dealership this time (this one in Raleigh) and was actually treated like a human being! The rep immediately asked me my VIN number, told me the repair was covered, sent a tow truck out to my house to pick up the car, and gave me a 2015 Nissan Altima rental car for almost two weeks while it was being repaired (Altimas actually drive very nicely but you still couldn't PAY me to own another Nissan)..and no, they didn't charge me a $75.00 diagnostic fee. And yes, I am in the process of rating them very positively now. End result: New CVT transmission at 109,500...when a Honda or Toyota would have just started coming to life. Years ago I had a Nissan Sentra station wagon, and the transmission went out at about the same time. I will NEVER buy another Nissan again. For those of you who are unfortunate Nissan Versa owners like myself....here's the warranty information link below wherein they extended the CVT transmission warranty on certain models/years - hope this helps. Oh yea, my brand new CVT transmission only comes with 12,000/12 month warranty. I'm totally nervous about this. My next car: DEFINITELY a Toyota or Honda. oh yea, the interior of this car is falling apart as well. The sunroof was leaking, streaming water into my car whenever it rained (that was at about 50,000 miles). Thank goodness for Youtube - my son googled a video that showed how to fix a leaky sunroof, or I would have paid a few hundred dollars to the dealership (you have to clean the hoses out that start at the top of the sunroof and snake down through the car door and come out behind the front wheels of the car). Somehow these hoses were totally clogged (even though I have never had to do this with my Matrix sunroof and I've had my Toyota since 2004!!!) I had to replace the car battery at around 45,000, as opposed to my Toyota Matrix, which had the same battery for the first seven frikkin years!!!! This is the worst car I have EVER purchased. http://www.nissanassist.com/ProgramDetails.php?menu=2
I've read alot of bad things about the Nissan Versa and I can only review based on my own experience and I have to tell you that I have my 2007 Hatchback since 2009 and I now have 85200 miles on it. Just now have I had a real breakdown. The throttle body needs replacing. Though its a $1000 job, it is not bad for being the first time. I have all the scheduled maint. done. Except for normal wear this car has been the most reliable I have ever had. The only thing I don't like is the fact that it does not have a keyhole for the trunk. So when that breaks if you don't fix it, you have to crawl through your back seat and open it from the inside. I even tow a small boat with it and no problems. It has been a great little car.
Bought my 2012 Versa new in December 2012. Just hit 68k on it and transmission (CVT belt) is shot. Car is rough, wind noise from day one could not be drown out by the weak audio system. Mileage is 39-40 if you baby it, realistically about 37 but with a 10 gallon tank if you drive a lot you spend a lot of time at the gas station. Lost heat shields off of the exhaust a few times and had to replace. All miles are highway and the majority were made on my drive to work. Just not happy with this car. This is the First Nissan I have ever bought, normally Chevy's or Fords and I regret the purchase. I understand this is Nissans lower line car but quality should still be a factor. Compared to my Chevy (210k)ths car is worthless, and my Ford van (160k) drives like a dream compared ot this car. Oh well, you live and learn but no more Nissans for me.
Stay away from it. Especially the one with 6 speed manual transmission. To many problems. The quality of it is horrible. It's not reliable car.
Like my 2014 nissan versa-just right for 2 people. BUT the transmission makes a loud, short screeching thunk when started after being parked for 2 days or more. Happens every time. Anybody have same problem?
I bought my 2008 Versa new in 2009 (leftover on the dealer lot). Had a few very minor problems at first (tire pressure warning light, gas door latch) that took too many trips to the dealer to get fixed, but otherwise things were okay until a few weeks ago. Catastrophic failure (oily antifeeze all over the engine compartment). Had it towed to the dealership because there was one month left on the drive train warranty and then waited two weeks before we even got a loaner car. Kept telling us they were waiting for the guys upstairs to approve the repair. Two days later I was told that a failure in the radiator had caused coolant to leak into the transmission, destroying it and the radiator and that because the problem originated in the radiator it wasn't covered under the drivetrain warranty. $4400 repair. I trade it in as is on a Kia instead. Nissan may have saved themselves a repair bill but they lost a customer for life.
bought new 2014. nothing but problems. started at 1500 miles acted like a vapor lock, Had just filled up.twice in the road it just quit. 1 more time it died at a stop light over 1 minute to restart. they got a bullettin that over 100 abient this would happen it had not been over 70abient. next laugh a super tech shows up drives it over a bumpy road=yeh right and gets it to code. lose wire from factory.and watch the service writers they got a game to, took one to the gm and had a talk.the biggest laugh just came they wanted me to drive it with a tech to pinpoint the problem or be able to say customer cannot duplicate. average failure ever 800 mils currently 4000 total
My Versa CVT 2011 shut off while driving in traffic. It was summer time, all electric equipements were running (radio, a/c) I was able to restart the car on neutral and turning the ignition again. I brought the car to Nissan dealer & they recommended me to have my injectors clean up (Not usually required under 20 000 Kilometer of use). Short after my visit to the dealer I experienced the same problem again. My dealer refused to pay back my injectors clean up fees even if they had a bad diagnostic. After complaining, they agreed to inspect the car. I got my car back only a week after. They have changed my fuel pump but figured out later that it wasn't the root cause. They said it was a loose connector that caused the car to shut down. I Wish I had never bought this car. This problem seems to occur only in hot temperature & when I fill up gas at S_ _ _ _.
I Have a 2007 Nissan Versa and Im telling you I have had all kinds of problems. I was on the highway when the car just cut off. Then have had to replace the exhaust system, now the car will not pass the emission test now I need to replace heater control circuit sensor circuit bank, the tire pressure light will not go off no matter how much air I put into the tires and God only know what else. I an truly disappointed with this car because I have done nothing except put money into it. No wonder they keep calling me about a extended warranty on this car.
I got the 2009 Versa in 2010. It was brand new. I don't use the hatch very often and the handle on the back is broken. I took it to a shop when I went up to visit my mom and they said the piece is over 300 alone. I know they are telling me the truth since it is my brother in law who owns the shop. he even ordered the electric piece to replace just in case. What a rip off 300 for a handle and then there is the cost of labor and paint. The seal on the doors comes off and the plastic on the door by the floor keeps coming off and you can't get it to stay on. the passenger side arm rest, the vinyl is coming off. I love Nissan this is my 3rd one, but disappointed.
Brakes go to the floor when holdingdown brakes
my car shut off on me while i was driving it an i believe my fuel pump is the problem because it will only run if i spray starting fluid in it but not with out. How do i change the fuel pump or where is the fuse for the fuel line located maybe just a fuse is my problem ?
My Versa now has 60K miles on it and still drives like a dream. I had a problem with the electric power steering when I purchased the car. Nissan replaced this and NO difficulties since. So far this has been the ONLY problem with my hatchback :) A Gr8 car by any measure. I've added many extras like Mag wheels, Big Michelins, front end Mask, and a Gr8 stereo. One of the best cars I've owned. I'm a very happy camper !!
I was able to drive my 2012 Nissan Versa to the Nissan dealer to be repaired after having some problems with the car starting and warning lights on the dash flashing. The car has now been at the Nissan dealership in Visalia, California for over 5 weeks. I have been driving a rental car provided and covered by the warranty. My name is David Gregory Carnes, I live at 1406 W. Princeton Ave., Visalia, CA 93277. My phone number is (559) 738-8222.
We have driven this car from Ohio to South Carolina at lest 5 times since new......and we plan another trip next month. I have been very happy with this little car and had only had problems with the back hatch, gas springs and hatch lock.....we use it a lot. Best mileage I got was 34MPG.....70MPH to 80MPH on Interstate 77.....I dont know what it is supposed to do but i am OK with that. I would buy another one!
I bought a 2009 Versa in 2009. Was mostly happy up until the last year. Wheel covers don't last, fell off. It only had @ 50,000 miles on it when the battery died in May 2013. I understand batteries at some point will need replaced but even the tech at auto parts said that was a bit early for that. Then in June (this year 2013) the AC goes out. Took it to my mechanic for diagnostic ($90) was told the evaperator was bad $750 to fix. I wrote to Nissan Customer NO-Service, gave them the particulars and was advised to take it to an authorized Nissan dealer for diagnosis then they would review my case for possible assistance. Another $107 for diagnostics. Oh yay, the dealer says the compressor is bad and will fix for $1,233. Who is right? Two different parts. I left a message with Nissan rep that has never called me back to this day so I went through the many phone prompts to get another human. I gave them the info from the dealer, "will forward your info to regional rep who will call you probably tomorrow." She called alright, "we're so sorry you're having this problem but due to your car being out of warranty there is nothing we can do at this time." Really?!?! We all already knew it was out of warranty when I said 2009. Why on earth would you recommend me taking it to the dealer, charge me more money, if its just a black and white warranty issue? Why on earth would you say you review these things case by case? Oh its clear you look at each case NOPE, NOPE, NOPE, NOPE. This young of a car (that I'm still paying off) SHOULD NOT be having these major issues already. My Toyota rusted out before mechanical issues ever started. I called Nissan yet again and yelled long and loud that they supposedly will refund my diagnostic charge (no check yet). Oh but I was wished a nice day. I told the lady, "well that won't happen, you try riding around in 90 degrees with no air." I will not put that kind of money in this young of a car. I was thinking about trading up in the Nissan line but will never buy Nissan. They could care less about thier customers once you're out the door. DO NOT BUY NISSAN-EVER!!!
I have bought the car in 2010 from Enterprise 2008 Versa. Overall was nice little car, But fuel economy could be better. City drive was like 12 gallons get only around 250 miles, and HW 300 miles. Right now it's better after I put seafoam in the tank and the red oil, forgot the name of it, improve to 300 to 350. But real issue I see in customer care in dealership. After I've got the car was the problem with the swings on the road from bumps or wind, and metal on metal slight bangs. And after 2 years I found out that it's sub-frame bushings problem. I took it to CurryNissan in Yorktown, NY. After explaining the problem, they mess with the car for an hour, and said that I need starts, tires, alignment, and someother crap for over $1000, the parts I never had problem with. And the reason I came for, they just don't want to talk about. Piss me off scam bags. Bushings Nissan should fix it for free, there is no way it will worn out, I would say faulty parts. So they drove me crazy, and gave me a bill for $130 at the end for doing nothin. On the top of it, the 'best' part, after I left, had to fill up the tank, SURPRISE.., gas tank door would not open. The lever would pull the latch, but door would not pop up, I'm suspecting they did something. So this is the CurryNissan. Another dealer in Mount Kisko, I went before there, they gave me dirty look. I tried to trade in there also, they drove my car, made mess in it, so I never go there again. I don't go to dealer for repair, just to get rip off for little to no work. But in regular shops told me that they would not be able to fix the sub-frame bushings and it is better to go to dealer. Another thing hub caps, if you change tires, and mechanics not careful, then they will damage fragile clips on hub caps, so eventually they will fall off while you driving. Overall I do satisfied with the car, but customer care is sucks.
I purchased a 2012 Nissan Versa, and it is being towed AGAIN to the dealership as I type this. It just came out of the shop for a TCM sensor needing to be replaced (couldn't drive over 20 mpg), and now just out of the blue the radiator is just pouring water!!! REALLY??? a 2012 vehicle and it is only April of 2013!!!! Give me a break!!! NEVER
Horrible, horrible, poorly made car. I had most of the problems described and some. Nissan also has the worst customer service as well. Report to the Government recall agency. I traded mine in for another make and will never buy Nissan again. I get emails from a post I put online a while ago from people who have the same problems. Everyone has to contact the Government recall agency, after they get enough complaints they should investigate. If you see anything positive written about this car, it's either one of the very few lucky folks who got one that actually works or a Nissan employee.
Bought new with "Lifetime" extended drive train warranty to use for our company. SL Hatchback with CVT and hands free. Runs ok. Once Ethonol came into Florida gas mileage dropped to 26 - 27 MPG. Damning rattles from dash and hatch back cover - cheap, cheap, cheap. Original tires lasted 53k miles - could have gotten another 7k but had puncture that required replacement. Have done 100% of Maintenace on 4k mile synthic oil change interval - yet engine oil always looks dirty?? Last time ran engine oil cleaner theu it. STILL LOOKS DIRTY?? Engine always had mechanical "knocking" sound ESEPECIALLY on COLD 40 - 50 degree mornings. Took back to dealership twice - told it sounds fine? No Vales to adjust. They "ALL" sound like that?? Had fuel pump/regulator fail - warranty repaired at 52k miles. But have had 4 other major failures: 1) 52k miles - Left Axel with inner and outter CVC joints replaced (39101 - EM40C) - repaired under warrantry. No boot torn - just worn out in 52k miles??? 2) 68k miles - Right side axel shaft with inner and outter CVC joints (39100 - EM40C) $624 of which I paid $100 Deductible under the Exteneded Warranty. No boot torn - just worn out in 68k miles??? 3 & 4) Upon picking up from dealer who replaced RT Ft Axel, I noticed a "Clunking" sound coming from Rt Ft. I assumed it was something left loose so I took it back to dealer to be charged $50 & told "EXCESSIVE PLAY BETWEEN FRONT STRUT COILS AND UPPER BEARINGS" And I must have BOTH Strut Bearings replaced to fix it. Strut Bearings cost $28 each. With Labor and necessary Alignment - $540 Estimated Cost. STRUT BEARINGS??? WTF - $540?? Has anyone ever heard of this BS before? Please advise.
I've had this car for about 6 months and am on pace to put 40,000 miles on it by the end of my first year with it. So far, it has held up very nicely and have had no mechanical problems whatsoever. Overall fuel economy is great and I am getting just slightly under 40mpg combined. The interior light flickers a little bit while it's on, but it is merely a mild inconvenience and as of this writing goes away after the first few seconds. Overall I am very happy with this purchase and it makes a fine little commuter car.
I own a Nissan Versa Hatchback, I am soooo not happy, besides the lack of power, gas mileage is lousy. One year later, I needed a knew engine, and this was not the first car to need it, it was the third in this dealership! So how many other cars are there like this? Then when I asked Nissan for a different vehicle because I didn't"TRUST" this one anymore they told well, this is your car and we fixed it for you, you bought it! You're kidding, even the DMV thought this was crazy! Years a being a Nissan customer to being treated like this, never buy NISSAN again!!
I have had to crank the engine at least twice to get the engine started immediately. Lately it has been a 10 minute embarrassing crank period, with others wondering if I am "in need a jumpstart?" in parking lots. It is not the battery, it seems. I suspect the sparks, the fuel filter, the fuel pump, or at worst, all three. My 2007 Versa SL is a hatch with under 20000 miles. I actually like the car overall (it does have severe blind spots…this is a big drawback, and the AC started becoming warm at around 15000 miles), and I normally recommend things I like. However, this fuel pump system seems to be my biggest reason for recommending with 70% thumbs up. If I am able to fix this spark plug/fuel filter/fuel pump situation on my own, then more percentage of my thumbs will follow. If I have to pay hundreds in repairs for this, expect another review with more negative comments!
Great car for the price fuel efficient We are now a one car family and we are quite satisfied with the 2012 Versa.
I ALSO HAVE A 2012 VERSA WITH 4000 MILES ON IT CHECK ENGINE LIGHT KEEPS COMMING ON AND OFF EVERY TIME I TAKE IT TO THE DEALER ITS A DIFFERENT STORY THEY HAVE HAD MY CAR FOR TWO WEEKS NOW AND STILL CANT FIND THE ISSUE I ASK FOR A NEW CAR OR MY MONEY BACK I WAS TOLD NO. THEY TRIED TO SELL ME A DIFFERENT CAR THAT WAS GOING TO COST ME MORE MONEY THIS CAR SUCKS NEVER GONNA DRIVE NISSAN AGAIN WHAT A BIG BIG MISTAKE
I have bought a 2012 Nissan Versa. I now have 4,000 miles on my Versa and it has cut off on me three different times. This happens when I am going slow. Does anyone else have this problem?
Coming up on 4 years, bought our Versa new in 2008. Nearing 100,000 miles and while a basic vehicle, we have been very pleased. Some of the interior is made cheaply - one plastic piece near the floor board has come off 3-4 times and the passenger front armrest fabric is coming out. Overall, though for 100,000 miles, we have been very pleased with this little car. It has the 1.8 4 cyl engine and gets about 30 MPG. We drive about half and half city and highway. I'll probably get something a little nicer next time around, but overall I recommend the Versa.