» » »

Ford Q&A

Ask Your Question

1996 Ford Explorer Question: need to replace the speed censor I need to know the location of it



JFGolden, 4.0L V6, Olathe, KS, November 25, 2009, 17:44

speedomitor doesnt work and I need to replace the censor I need the location to replace the part

1 Answer
Flag This
  • Answer #1

    November 25, 2009, 17:59

    The VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) is located in the transmission. The speedometer cable goes into it the Speed sensor and then the Speed sensor goes into the transmission. It could be a bad Drive gear or Driven gear in the transmission. Oh it could even be a bad cable or speedometer head. The speedometer is driven by gears on the speed sensor and a gear in the trans. A bad speed sensor will not stop the speedometer from working. I take that back, I had a escort with the same setup. The problem was a bent speed sensor which broke internally causing the cable not to turn. If you want step by step help in this contact me at swaths3644@mypacks.net

    Flag This