My vehicle is having problems starting. on 2003 Mercury Mountaineer

For the most part it will start right up but on occassion it will not start. It doesnt even try to turn over when this happens. I get lights and radio but no noise what so ever. And sometimes it takes hours of sitting for it to start again. It doesnt turn over the next time you try to start it. The last time it took 24 hrs before the car would start. We have replaced the battery, checked the starter, and also replaced the cable that connects the battery to the starter. None of which has fixed my problem. I have taken it to a couple shops to which no one can help. They tell me unless the problem happens with them they cant determine what is wrong with it as long as it is running fine. So then I am sent home for the problem to happen. Please help this is frustrating!!

by in Indianapolis, IN on August 26, 2013
3 answers 1 comment
COMMENT by on August 26, 2013
ford has service bulletin 06-19-14. states small wire connector on starter may become loose causing no crank. connector needs to be replaced. hope this helps.
ANSWER by on August 26, 2013
If the bendix gear is damaged it will jam in the ring-gear and won't return like it is suppose to.If it is not damaged then a little light oil on the bendix worm can help it to return but the only way to know would be to remove the starter and have a look at the gear for damage to the bendix and or ring-gear.This kind of a problem could also be a sluggish solinoid or dirty starter motor inside not making proper contact.Also neutral/start switch and/or the transmission gear selector not properly engaged.Some times the gear-selector needs adjusting in order for the n/s switch to function: look at the P.R.N.D.L. gear-selector carefully and see if the letters are corresponding to the gear shift lever.Also play around with it from N.and try cranking if it cranks sometimes and sometimes not then it may need adjusting first and then check N/S switch if condition does not change.A repair manual for your model can be purchased at Advance auto which will indicate where everything is.
ANSWER by on August 26, 2013
Next time it will NOT crank, take a hammer and knock the hell out of the starter while a helper turns the key to start. (Do both at the same time.) If it starts cranking then, REPLACE THE STARTER MOTOR! No ifs ands or buts!!! Post the results for more info.
When I start my mountaineer it kinda shakes but when I start to drive it shakes little crazy and when I'm parked at the light I shakes and you can tell my vehicle is shaking please help
A mystery just began with my vehicle. When I start it, it revs high at 1-2 then stays high while I'm driving making it dangerous because it is difficult to slow to stop.
It has been through several diagnostics test. ALL come back with a "clean record", nothing is wrong, and that mechanics NEVER feel the "chugging". Well, I had gotten a second opinion because the...
When I turn on my vehicle, the engine revs up high and continues while driving, and this also makes it harder to stop the vehicle.
I misplaced my keys to my vehicle and I need to fix the spark plugs so i was wondering how I can still pop the hood to put new spark plugs in?