Chevrolet Q&A

2003 Chevrolet Venture Question: my problem is the floater for my gas gauge. It floats way too much.

berly sue, 3.4L V6, Cambridge, OH, December 31, 2012, 22:20

If I have less than a half tank or even a half tank and go around a turn it says low fuel, if I go up a hill the same problem. If I stop a light it happens. This is the most irratating thing to hear the low fuel bell chimming. It is awful and causes me much frustration. I have to constantly reset my mileage indicator just so I can keep track of how much fuel I actually have.I should not have to keep the tank on full everyday. I can just be sitting in my driveway which is not real level but also not real hilly either and the dang thing will beep empty. It is either possessed or else it is bi-polar and trying to make me crazy. I can't find a recall on it but does mental stress qualify to add it to the list?

1 Answer

January 01, 2013, 03:50

Is this a new problem? Has it always done this and is getting worse? They all vary some from 1/4 tank to empty and back.
    A new tank module (floater) may or may not fix this! Any work been done involving the fuel tank?

berly sue, January 02, 2013, 10:27

I have only had the van about 6 monthes and it has done it since day one after I had gotten to the half way point so I don't know if any previous work has been done. I found posts somewhere that others were having the same problem but I cannot find that site now.

pushrod, January 02, 2013, 13:02

I think you are going to have to live with this! However on level road the gauge is still correct, when the hand gets in the red,
    put some gas in the tank or before that as fuel level of 1/4 tank or more helps cool and prolong pump life!!!