1996 Toyota Land Cruiser Q&A

1996 Toyota Land Cruiser Question: my check engine light is on what is the problem?

i used a hand held diagnostic machine to check it and the code that came back was PO420. please get back to me asap -
P0420 is low catalytic converter efficiency.Could be a bad cat, false O2 sensor readings or have failed due to an out of tune engine/excess fuel or misfire. -
Comment 1
thanks again,what are you suggestion first? -
Use a scanner that can provide you with rear O2 sensor readings. If you have a smart phone there is a wonderfull new piece of equipment for $99.99 that can provide you with this info. Go to www.plxkiwi.com to see. I really can't believe how good the device is. Of course it comes from silicon valley. The truck is 16 years old. You most likely have to replace the cats. -
i turn it off untill i fine what the problem is.
i remember that it came on a couple of months ago for awhile and i remember filling up one day with regular gas and it went off, but now its back on. i had a cat put on a few years ago. i hope tha...
my engine check light is on and i want to know could this be from the mis fireing.
my check engine light is on and i thought maybe i will change the o2 censores first opose to changing the convertors.