my check engine light is on what is the problem? on 1996 Toyota Land Cruiser

i used a hand held diagnostic machine to check it and the code that came back was PO420. please get back to me asap

by in Rochester, NY on January 07, 2012
2 answers 1 comment
ANSWER by on January 07, 2012
P0420 is low catalytic converter efficiency.Could be a bad cat, false O2 sensor readings or have failed due to an out of tune engine/excess fuel or misfire.
COMMENT by on January 07, 2012
thanks again,what are you suggestion first?
ANSWER by on January 07, 2012
Use a scanner that can provide you with rear O2 sensor readings. If you have a smart phone there is a wonderfull new piece of equipment for $99.99 that can provide you with this info. Go to www.plxkiwi.com to see. I really can't believe how good the device is. Of course it comes from silicon valley. The truck is 16 years old. You most likely have to replace the cats.
my check engine light is on and i thought maybe i will change the o2 censores first opose to changing the convertors.
i turn it off untill i fine what the problem is.
i remember that it came on a couple of months ago for awhile and i remember filling up one day with regular gas and it went off, but now its back on. i had a cat put on a few years ago. i hope tha...
my engine check light is on and i want to know could this be from the mis fireing.