Toyota Q&A

1994 Toyota Camry Question: My car stalls, and no mechanics has been able to solve the problem!

raineyday, 2.2L 4 Cylinder, Tarzana, CA, February 25, 2013, 23:06

Intermittently, the car stalls while idling or at start up. The car will turn over, but typically will start again only after I have put in neutral, then rock the vehicle a few inches! This usually happens after driving a short time, shopping for a brief time, then getting back in the car. One time it died while I was driving and I had to have towed. However, this was before I realized the "trick" about "rocking the baby".

goodguy February 25, 2013, 23:20

check for fuel and spark when car wont start could be a bad distributor

raineyday, February 26, 2013, 19:34

Thank you for replying. However, a mechanic did suspect it was the distributor, but discovered that it was not the problem.

ziptie12 February 26, 2013, 05:35

IF all else fails , maybe pull fuel pump and inspect connections and pick-up screen? Does the symptom occur at any fuel level??

raineyday, February 26, 2013, 19:41

Yes, the problem occurs at all fuel levels, but I did wonder about the fuel pump.

Greg's Orange Auto (12860 Answers) , Orange, CA - (714) 361-9386
    globalhelper February 26, 2013, 06:39

POSS IDLE AI CONTROL VALVE IS GOING OUT.

raineyday, February 26, 2013, 19:43

Thanks for responding. In my quest to find the problem when searching the web, I did read about the idle air control and thought that might possibly be the problem.

globalhelper, February 26, 2013, 19:54

try cleaning throttle body and see if that helps

raineyday, February 26, 2013, 20:04

Thanks for your input. I'll put that on my list of things to check.