Reviews for Mitsubishi Montero Sport years:

Mitsubishi Montero Sport Reviews and Owner Comments

Mitsubishi Montero SportOwner Reviews (16 reviews)
    Visitor, Charlotte, NC, May 09, 2013 09:55
    I bought a 1999 Montero sport 7 years ago from a couple and it was well taken care of. after about 3 years of driving it, it started blowing out blue smoke.I controlled that alot with Lucas Oil Additive. I traveled back and forth between charleston, SC and Winston-Salem NC. It began burning oil and I foolishly took my chances waiting to put oil in when I could had gone across the street to the gas station; instead I drove another 1.5 miles and then it happened. the truck shut down on me and wouldn't start. the engine didn't lock up but still have some damage. I let it sit for over a year and now just starting to have it repair. I did have to have the fuel pump replaced also. the expensive part is the labor at the dealership it will run me $3200 to have engine done and the engine cost $1500 the rest is labor. but I refuse to trade in my truck even though it has 187k; the tax office still doesn't consider this high mileage for this truck. the truck is still able to be driven but I got alot of knocking going on. so I use it to run down the street to pick up my daughter from school which is about a 6 min drive roundtrip.
  • 2003 Mitsubishi Montero Sport
    Visitor, Willow Spring, NC, April 21, 2013 15:52
    I have had my car for 9 yrs. and it has over 141000 miles on it when the worst thing possible happened, the timing belt broke and now the vavles and gaskets had to be replaced. I decided to get it fixed, because it still is a good car, but I just drive it too much and it gave out. It is going to cost over 2000.00 to fix, but I would rather do that then have a car payment. I'm telling everyone out there to get your timing belts check if you have an older car before something like this happens to you.
  • 2003 Mitsubishi Montero Sport
    Visitor, Hagerstown, MD, November 26, 2012 22:04
    had mine for 5 years and had to do reagler mantaince
    Visitor, Brunswick, GA, May 26, 2012 09:48
    I purchase my 1999 monterno sport with out even test driving it in 2003 and the only problems I had was the alternator going out twice, and the starter once. I think that good for it to be 13 years old. Love my little suv that great on gas and drives very smooth on the highway and in town
  • 1997 Mitsubishi Montero Sport
    Visitor, Charlottesville, VA, March 06, 2012 09:28
    1997 Mitsubishi Montero Sport 3.0 Liter was purchased used in 2003 with 87k miles. Now in 2012 it has 184k miles. Major problems were replacement of alternator twice. Note that the first replacement was with an Autozone alternator with a guarantee, so second replacement (for overvoltage, not undervoltage) was free. The car works well. It doesn't have a lot of power in 2 wheel drive, but gets reasonable gas mileage, so I don't mind the lack of acceleration. At 184k miles it has now developed oil leaks, so it burns a quart every hundred miles. Dealer says it is cam seals and oil pump gasket. I am not a mechanic, so I don't know the accuracy. Cost is $1904. Dealer says the alternative is a new engine at around $5,000 or more. I am having the repair done, since I only figure to keep the car another year or two max. It strikes me that this a high cost, but the dealer says they have to take out the engine to replace the oil pump gasket. Dealer says they will replace the cam seals by going through the timing belt and not the valve covers, so I don't get new valve cover gaskets. I had thought replacing a cam seal this way was a relatively simple repair, so again I wonder about the high cost. I will say that this has been a good car. One downside is that the rear-looking visibility is poor due to the headrests of the rear seats. Also, this vehicle has tinted rear windows, so at night you have to use the sideview mirrors, because the backup light isn't bright enough to illuminate terrain viewed through the tinted windows. I have kept it maintained pretty much up to dealer recommendations, and it has done ok for me until this oil leak problem. Had to replace the air mass sensor once, but I suspect that was due to bad gasoline rather than wear. The diagnostic said EGR problem and wasn't specific, so one dealer replaced the EGR solenoid, and it didn't solve the problem, which was the sensor. I recently hauled a large load of books in the car, probably well over half a ton, and it did fine. I put on Nexen HT tires. Although these are not all-terrain rated, I tested them ok in Vermont snow (4 wheel drive) in moderate (not deep) West Virginia mud. I bought this car for just over $10k, and after more than eight years of use with maybe another $8k or so of various maintenance put into it (including this oil leak fix), I probably got a reasonable value.
  • 1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport
    Amira46, Tyler, TX, December 12, 2010 16:55
    We bought our 1998 Montero Sport from an individual two years ago and had the timing belt replaced as soon as we bought it. The only other issues we've have with the vehicle were an alternator replacement ( did this twice because the first one was bad ), and replacing the door locking mechanism on the left rear passenger door. Oh - forgot; replaced valve cover gasket and main seal to repair oil leak. This is not too bad considering the vehicle is 12 years old with 165,000 miles on it.
  • 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport
    djenglese, Middle Village, NY, November 26, 2010 09:06
    I had this car for ten years i had to replace the fuel pump, sway bar, and egr valve but now is reading a code po403
  • 1997 Mitsubishi Montero Sport
    Visitor, Elgin, IL, July 06, 2010 16:55
    i own a 1997 montero sport im pleased with the drive is not so bad in gas for the size of the truck. the only bad thing i have blue smoke coming from the end pipe and also the truck over heats for no reason. no biggie overall i never service the truck until it REALLY REALLY needs to be fix,,,,,keep in mind my truck has 232599 miles well worth my $ 4000 i pay 4 yrs back..
    Visitor, Cordova, TN, June 11, 2010 06:09
    I have been driving this car for 10 years and have been very pleased. It now has 174000 miles. The biggest repairs to date have been replacing the timing belt twice, replacing the fuel pump, replacing the cat converter, replacing 2 oxygen sensors, replacing the exhaust system. The worst thing about the vehicle is the electrical system. A lot of the electrical components just stopped working including the alarm system, power mirrors, cruise control. I frequently had to replace the brake lights until eventually replacing the switch. As far as the body, the headlights seem loose and have lost 1 rear reflector, which seems to be a common issue with this vehicle. No problems so far with the engine and transmission .
    Visitor, Bedford, TX, June 05, 2010 15:56
    I bought this car used from a previous owner. I don't believe they understood how to keep regular maintenance on this vehicle because I had to place it in the shop twice. Once for an engine problem in which the car would smoke and another to replace the oxygen sensors which I think went bad due to the engine problem. Overall, I really like this car. It runs quiet, even when it had the smoke coming from the tailpipe. It has spacious room for me and my three children and it does very well on gas. Had this car been regularly kept up in regards to maintenance, I don't think I would have had to place it in the shop at all.
    private, Eunice, LA, May 25, 2010 10:15
    I would not recommend this vehicle to anyone. My 2003 Montero Sport has cost me over $1000 in repairs and now I have a vehicle that runs hot when it wants and it is steadily burning oil!! I plan on purchasing another brand vehicle in the near future.
  • 2004 Mitsubishi Montero Sport
    Visitor, Arlington, VA, May 24, 2010 07:13
    my m/nativa 2004 model.4 wheel drive is not working,what should i do
    auntota, Boerne, TX, August 13, 2009 22:37
    i love my montero..the only thing i don't like //the head-lights are not too good for night driving.....
  • 2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport
    SharkByte, Folsom, CA, June 27, 2009 11:01
    When my wife and I were dating, I had a Civic hatchback and she had a 2001 Montero Sport and I loved driving her car so much that when my car got stolen, the Montero is the first car I looked for. I found the perfect one for me, white/black with a grille guard on front and I love my car! It drives great, I've had not one problem with the car. When I bought it, the car had 59K miles on it and not it's got nearly twice the miles and still runs perfectly. My only gripe is that the engine design creates costly repairs as the techs have to remove the top of the engine just to perform a basic tune-up. I'm considering buying a new engine and rebuilding the transmission whenever it dies.
  • 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport
    stephanieo927, Albuquerque, NM, June 04, 2009 23:41
    A very fun car to drive, a very light-weight SUV that gets really decent gas mileage. Very spacious, and reliable!
  • 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Sport
    jghatta, Fremont, CA, August 24, 2008 23:06
    The Montero Sport is a decent SUV (truck). The drive train is great and robust, the car holds up well when towing. The engine is powerful for the 2001 model year and has kept its pep throughout the years. It's a solidly built car and is very reliable. However it has sub-par steering, ie very loose with some delayed responsiveness. This vehicle has tight head clearance upon entering the car from all doors (especially the rear doors). The interior is on the smaller side for Mid-sized SUVs, but the cargo area is substantially roomy. Mitsubishi built a touch little SUV, that still thinks and drives like a truck. There are exposed screw heads throughout.