2004 Mini Cooper S Q&A

2004 Mini Cooper S Question: Mini Cooper S - Problems starting

Every morning when I start my Mini, I need to crank the starter motor for at least 4-5 seconds. After doing so, the car starts and runs perfectly fine. If I immediately turn the car off and try to turn it on again, it starts up without a problem. However, if I leave the car for more than 5 minutes, I need to crank the starter for another 4-5 seconds before the car will run. When I first took it into the dealership about a year ago, they told me it was a bad battery, so they replaced this along with one of the belts. Of course, this didn't solve the problem. I then took it in again a couple weeks later at which point they replaced the spark plugs and cleaned the fuel injectors. This, too, didn't solve the problem. Since I use my car to commute every day to work, I've just put up with the problem. Unfortunately, however, the time it takes to start seems to be getting longer by the week. Any thoughts on what this might be? Many thanks in advance. -
My new 2010 Mini S from Seattle Mini does the same thing. I thought it was because I wasn't pushing the starter button down long enough, but it continues to do this. It's a little better when the engine is warm. The service department said there may be carbon build-up and it needs to be cleaned. She said there have been issues with the S. -
Comment 1
Sounds like your problem may be the same thing as what I had. Another shop I took my car into suggested the same thing - that it was a carbon build up. Problem is, when they cleaned the injectors, etc. it didn't really make any difference. And by the time they got around to doing this, the engine was already warm so they couldn't reproduce... I took the car into the dealership a couple weeks ago and told them to re-examine the problem. They told me that the fuel pump and regulator needed to be replaced, which I did. Been driving the car around for about a week ago and it seems to have fixed the problem - the car starts up in less than a second. Fortunately for you, your car is still under warranty. The fuel pump and regulator was a US$ 1,300 job. -
Comment 2
that happened to me too!i just had that carbon build up removed and now after 3 days my 2010 mini wont start at all!the keys are stuck in the ignition and im having it towed tomorrow!what a pain! -
Comment 3
2009 Mini Clubman S .... after driving in a rain storm the Mini began to sputter on cold start and not reach smooth rpm for a minute or two. I sometimes have to try restarting a couple times. When the engine is warm it usually starts no problem. I had the dealership check it out and they said it was carbon build-up but would not guarantee the repair. I got the Mini back after the $620 carbon clean out and noticed the engine light was still on, and at the next cold start, same thing happened. Now I am concerned that it will need a $1300 fuel pump repair based on the above replies ... -
I have a 2006 mini cooper S that won't start. The first signal of a problem was I started the car and it made a loud noise. I drove it for about a mile and turned of the A/C and the car stopped mak...
Also if I have to set in traffic for a long period it will start missing and some times ouit, but if I shut it off for 30 seconds or more then start it back up it runs ok.
Last month my 2009 mini cooper s wouldn't start.It made a strange noise, A estimate came in at $ 3,886, It has 124.500 miles. I discovered the warranty ran out at 11200 miles. The shops said it nee...
There are reports of premature clutch wear on cars equipped with manual transmissions.  Clutch replacement on these vehicles can be quite costly.
I brought my mini cooper to East Bay Mini about 2 weeks ago for water pump recall. About 3 days later, every morning I started the car the sound of engine was very loud, but it was back to normal 5...