Reviews for Mercury Tracer years:

Mercury Tracer Reviews and Owner Comments

Mercury TracerOwner Reviews (14 reviews)
  • 1997 Mercury Tracer
    Visitor, Toledo, OH, March 08, 2013 17:57
    Bought this car in 2012 with over 200K miles. while it does run well, many parts even after repaired still break. For instance the exause was broken and even after having broken parts replaced two different time it remains broken. Also motor problems persist after fixing. These are decent cars yet do have lots of problems later in life.
    Visitor, Aurora, CO, October 20, 2012 13:11
    I've had my 1995 Mercury Tracer around 10 years now and it's great. Good reliable car with hardly any problems. Dashboard lights quit working about 2 years ago, (a pain) and fuel gage is acting up about 4 years ago, but those are minor problems. Needs shocks, clutch now at 17 years, not bad. Interior is still great as well as body. Changed alternater few years ago, and it was hard to get at but the car was 12 years old. Engine still running great and the gas mileage has been around 27 to 32 mpg and thats city driving mostly. It's a bit small inside and I hate the cup holder which is too small and your big gulp might flip over, so this is the worst thing about the car, big deal right? Reliable, cheap, transportation with good all round visability and pretty good pick-up speed and great real small turning radius which has come in handy many times. Great front wheel drive is great and fun to drive in snow as it feels very safe with great traction depending on the type of tires you have but this car has performed fantasticly in snow for me and never got stuck. Great car for anyone on buget. This car is not fancy at all or pretty. I would rate it in the same class as a volkswagon bug. Better in some ways and not in others like work access in the engine compartment. I'm a big guy and I fit in the car just fine with good leg room but the height is a just bit tight feeling for me at 6' 1" and too small for my 6' 4" son but ok for my 6' 2" son. I would recomend this car to anyone on a tight buget and under 6' 3". Great, fantastic room in trunk with rear seat that folds down to get into it and you can load long item in there that way which is surprising in it's versitility. Almost small truck in a way. I've loaded 2x4s in there but would not recomend it. Well built and enginered carm with many good surprise features that you would never expect to have abd appreciate. I expect to have this car last at least another 5-10 years with not much maintenance except a battery or two, tires, clutch job and shocks. This car will last 100 years if taken care of.
  • 1996 Mercury Tracer
    Visitor, Tampa, FL, July 12, 2012 11:03
    i need to know in reference to the aircondition.i took my car to ths shop did tune -up and front bushings.after that i turn my aircondition on and it makes noise like loose and blows warm air
  • 1993 Mercury Tracer
    Visitor, Orlando, FL, May 26, 2012 08:05
    I remember is so well. In 1999 a friend was helping me look for my first car and Car Max had quite a few. The 1993 Mercury Tracer was the best fit in price, driving comfort and fit me perfectly. Power everything. I loved her. I named her Betsy. She drove GREAT! To work and home, I worked two jobs about 7 miles from each other. She was good on gas. Though you had to be driving at least 45 mph to get her AC to cool the air at times on very hot days over 80 degrees F. I got a ticket for doing such. Then April 2001 came and friends begged me to come out dancing and I really did not want to. I finally went to meet them, but on my way there, a guy ran a red light and totaled her (by my auto insurance). My roommate found a mechanic to fix her up like good as new. Sure enough, he did, but there were issues with the catalytic converter and i did not want to deal with that. I had been looking for a new vehicle soon after the accident. I went in to a dealership to check the colors of a Toyota Tacoma Black vs Dark Green. I got cornered and bought a Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner. I do not regret, but feel sad I let that sales guy rip me off (hindsight is sad, isn't it) by taker her, Betsy, as a $200 trade-in. I paid $5000 for the car. He took a working car for $200 and sold me a $15,000 truck for $28,000. I was young and dumb. That won't EVER happen again. I miss Betsy.
    218ARTY, Ridgefield, WA, March 28, 2012 21:34
    Bought our 95 Tracer in Dec 96. Only has 386K and still gets 28 to 33mpg depending on traffic. Dosen't use oil. Normal wear and tear includes rebuild tranny, replace htr core and radiator. One CV joint. Replace speedometer cable and repair spedometer head. Still drives great and tracks super in snow. Must have been a Wednesday car. And, Yes, is a flatland car.
  • 1994 Mercury Tracer
    Visitor, Lake Villa, IL, December 24, 2011 00:16
    i got this car in april 2005 to replace the 1996 hyundai accent that died. the car has 150k (i put 80k on it) and has been a pain since. i've literally replaced nearly half of all the parts under the hood and it still won't run well. the seat belt got stuck on the track half way and now i can't wear the shoulder part w/out being choked. every now and then the spedometer goes up and down like its possessed. there's smoke coming from under the hood right by the driver headlight and none of the 5 local mechanics can figure it out, causing me to become ill if i'm stuck in the car for more than 15 minutes. i hate this car with every fibre of my being. if it was't winter and i could ride my bike w/out fear of being run over, then i'd scrap this car asap. i hate you car.
    claire76, Durham, NC, July 27, 2011 12:56
    I LOVE my Tracer! Bought in 11/2000 with about 45K miles. Currently has 209K miles (as of 7/2011) & still runs very well! Have had to do very little non-routine maintenance. I get average of 32-33 mpg; >90% of my driving is on the highway. I will be VERY sad when I have to get another car; I plan to drive this one until the end. I've never really had to drive the car in the snow, so I can't respond to other people's comments on that.
    Visitor, Alton, NY, July 12, 2011 09:25
    Fun little car mine is actually good in snow up in NY only drawback would be brakes and stiff seats. Happily recommend this car tho gettin 25/34 mpg to and from work. Cruising along at 127k miles will drive it till i dies.
  • 1997 Mercury Tracer
    Visitor, Hinesville, GA, May 26, 2010 15:25
    This was my first vehicle, i purchased it with about 30,000 miles on it back in 2000. I have to say this vehicle was by far the most reliable, great gas mileage and very minor problems for these past 10 years!! I let a friend borrow it for a couple of months and he totaled it!! I regret it everyday since the incident happened. 2 thumbs way up!! for the 97 Mercury Tracer.
    Visitor, Keyser, WV, March 31, 2010 07:46
    i just got my tracer its my 1st car i like it alot it runs good but i got to get a new head thats all it needs but it runs good
    alexg, Taylor, MI, December 10, 2009 14:39
    This is a good car just does not handle well in snow. It also has problems with suspension often
  • 1993 Mercury Tracer
    candishar, Houston, TX, December 04, 2009 14:45
    Pretty good car. She has made it thur 4 trips back and forth to Texas. Great gas mileage. not a lot to complain about
    JimG, Rohnert Park, CA, August 20, 2009 12:01
    Very few repairs and maintenance. Gas mileage 25/40 (city/hwy). Problems include: lack of spedometer lube, failed driver door latch, plastic/aluminum radiator - small leak. The engine is simply too weak (85hp). Excellent flat-land car.
    RUSTY, Clearfield, UT, January 07, 2009 17:58
    THIS CAR HAS BEEN VERY RELIABLE. BIGGEST COMPLAINT IS THAT IT HANDLES POORLY IN SNOW.