Reviews for Mercury Sable years:

Mercury Sable Reviews and Owner Comments

Mercury SableOwner Reviews (57 reviews)
    Visitor, Sells, AZ, April 03, 2014 13:01
    The 2002 Mercury sable is a all around reliable car. However I did encounter a few problems. Recently I had to replace the alternator, the Power Steering pump leaks a little, I need to replace the Inner Tie Rods and possibly the outter ones, and after putting in fuel treatment/injector cleaner several times over the past 6 months, Im still getting poor gas mileage??
    Visitor, Fortville, IN, March 04, 2014 12:46
    The Sable is probably the most troublesome car that I have ever owned. There have been multiple things that have broken and it's never something cheap. First, it was the fuel pump. Then, the alternator, the starter, the bearings, electrical problems, and now my transmission is starting to stick and has even fallen out of gear a couple times. By far, the worst car that I have ever owned.
    Visitor, Wichita, KS, February 09, 2014 05:05
    best damn car i ever owned 21 years + 88,000 miles will drive it forever!
    Visitor, Newnan, GA, February 07, 2014 18:50
    i have a 2008 sable it just started jumping in first gear only when i pull off from da light it the transmission or a o2 senor
    Visitor, Cincinnati, OH, January 24, 2014 10:36
    Why would a Torque Converter fail when the car had less than 83,000 mils
    Visitor, Valley, AL, November 16, 2013 20:38
    I bought this car for my wife in 2006 and she has driven it daily since. She has been very happy with the car and it seems to be holding up well. She has 126,000 on the odometer and just put a new set of michelins on the car...the second set. Not perfect ratings due to the spoiler paint fading unlike the rest of the body and sporadic windows not working in the AM, although the dealer fixed that problem when I paid the 900 for a major tuneup,. brakes, and a couple of small repairs. Yes, we are both very happy with the car and an sorry to see the three others are having problems with their Sables.
    Visitor, Cranston, RI, October 24, 2013 21:02
    One of the best cars I have ever owned. 180000 miles and other than brake pad being replaced never had to touch a thing. Luxury ride and great interior. I cannot say enough about this cars quality.
    Visitor, Cudahy, WI, September 24, 2013 21:23
    Parts are easy to find for it. In the last year I've had to put around 2k into suspension and steering components alone. Besides that the engine is reliable and I haven't had problems elsewhere. (131,000 miles)
    Visitor, Jacksonville, NC, July 21, 2013 09:57
    I bought 2004 mercury sable LS premium 24v dohc in 2010 the car had 23700 miles now I have 69850 miles a year after purchase replace ignition coil in #1 cylinder other than that has been a good car.If i find another mercury sable LS v6 24-v dohc I will purchase it!!!
    Visitor, Anoka, MN, February 01, 2013 00:44
    I have had a Mercury Sable - DOHC new from the showroom since January 2000. I had a problem with it trying to overheat whenever the temp was over 85 degrees, but because of a great mechanic who refused to fix things on suspicion, it did take about 2 years to reslove - couldn't get the issue to replicate in the shop. It was suggested that we wash the engine, and that fixed the issue - cost of $00000. The air intakes were clogging up because of Cotton wood and other air borne crud. Replaced the springs both front and back like most other owners - not an expensive fix. The brakes have required only normal maitenance in the 165000 miles I have driven it. I do see on my car and similar cars for about the year (Taurus and Sable's), rust on the rear rocker panels. My mechanic has said that the body will wear about before the engine. I beleive him. Car fires right up in below zero weather every time! I can live with the rust issue when the car has been this reliable. I would buty this car again.
    Worstcar, Jeffersonville, IN, November 05, 2012 02:40
    I brought my 2005 mercury sable in 2010, it ran fine until 2012, Aug the light came on, took it to Auto Zone, etc, it said the sensors were bad six of them. Pep Boys said they could not all be bad. The transmission went out and the car kept overheating, I would up paying for a new computer chip, about $700.00, had the heating repaired, $85.00, the transmission redone and ball joint changed $1900.00, $300.00 for tune up. This thing eats gas like 10 dollars every 2 days whether I drive it or not. I have the vehicle from hell now. The light came on and I kept trying to get it off. It finally went off. Now, I'm told I need to pay $80.00 to get the computer reset because of the transmission work. the gear shift indicater will not stay in gear.. Worst piece of _______ I have ever owned. Will not even say the word again.
    Visitor, Ridgway, PA, July 25, 2012 21:09
    When I first bought my 2000 Mercury Sable, I had starting issues, plus stalling on me. Then we took it to Ford garage and 3 other mechanics....NO CODE errors came up on their high tech machines. So, my husband n I did the process of elimination with help of the fancy mechanics manual. Found that if we wiggle 2 different megafuses, it would start. Then we had to replace 3 important electrical parts, ECM was one of them...Now it works, starts, very nicely. Great car, but I found that if I put the car in 2nd it goes up the hills nicely without the skipping and bucking, then put in OD once over the hill. Now, I am trying to figure out why I only have the high speed wipers. Replaced the arm that runs the wipers, but no change with new piece. If anyone has any idea what else I need to try, please post your solution.
    Visitor, New York, NY, July 06, 2012 06:53
    I drove my Sable out of the Manhattan showroom Christmas 1993 and she has been a very sweet ride for the last 19 years and 180,000 miles. I had various parts replaced in recent years ie: alternator, water pump, radiator. Major issue was the head gaskets replaced Jan 2011 and for no apparent reason since the car never ran low on coolant or overheated. Its 6000 miles later and she flys as she always has. She is happiest on the open road in any kind of weather torrential rain or snow this car is unwavering and stable holding the road like a magnet.
    Visitor, Oceanside, CA, June 19, 2012 18:32
    I have had the car for 18K miles now and have put in about $2,000 in repairs. Mainly due to not having inspected it properly when buying, so its my fault really. In response to the post by "Visitor, Prescott, WI, February 18, 2012 23:01" I had the same problem where it turns off when stopping. This is very likely because the car is not getting much Oxygen. The primary cause of it was a hole in the main air line (underneath) so it was not easily detectable because it was not visible. There was also a leak in the manifold exaust. It cost about 300 to fix the issue. In response to the post about going up hill and the tc going up but not shifting. I have a similar problem. My car hesitates in shifting when I am going up a steep hill. It doesn't know whether or not to upshift or downshift and kind of jerks a bit. I don't have a solution for you though :(
  • 1994 Mercury Sable
    Visitor, Brooklyn, NY, June 01, 2012 02:21
    I PURCHASED MY 1994 SABLE IN APRIL OF 1994. I AM STILL DRIVING IT WITH VERY LITTLE PROBLEMS. IT IS NOW 18 YEARS OLD AND STILL RUNNING WELL. I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS CAR.
    Visitor, Pompano Beach, FL, May 28, 2012 17:43
    My Mercury Sable is a p.o.s. Worst car I have ever owned. Bad gas milage, transmission, breaks, air. NEVER have I had to spend so much money in car repairs. Would not ever buy another FORD product.
    Visitor, Lindenhurst, NY, April 24, 2012 17:55
    I'm glad I read the first story, because of the comment about the gap between the dash and instrument cluster. My car has this, and I assumed it was because the car was hit and maybe someone did a lousy job fixing it. I bought the car used so I don't know its history. I bought this as a station car but have gotten fairly good use out of it. It has a lot of features. Acceleration isn't impressive for a 200hp car, but maybe the car wasn't well maintained and needs a fuel filter replacement. It's homely in black, though, but not a lot of choice in the used car market in this price range (cheap!)
    Visitor, Tampa, FL, March 06, 2012 14:04
    I bought my 97 sable in 2000 and I love her and am having a hard time parting with her. She still runs but is on her last legs the only real issue I have was with the a/c it is very expensive to repair so I have been done without foir several years. It was a great car for teaching the kids to drive and I am looking for another. I will drive her till she no longer runs which will be very soon hence looking for another. The transmission was rebuilt several years ago and it still runs the engine light has alway been on since I bought her & the several mechanics I took her to cannot find out why so I dont let it bother me I would recommend the sable for anyone who wants a reliable car
    Visitor, Prescott, WI, February 18, 2012 23:01
    I bought a 2000 mercury sable ls last june. i have replaced the tyrods,breaks,struts,ball joints,front control arm. recently i have been driving and everytime i come to a stop light or stop sign it wants to die and will. Even in the mornings it will not stay started it kills. so i have to keep my foot on the gas. and when i am at stop lights and signs i have to keep my foot on the break with one foot and use the other to rev the engine so it does not die. it is driving me nuts for how much i have put into this car.
  • 2003 Mercury Sable
    Visitor, Irving, TX, February 07, 2012 17:41
    I have a 2003 sable wagon and I am have a proble with the seedometer bouncing when in idle and in geen but not moving. It will bounce up to 60mph and the car stalls out when it starts bouncing really badly. It will even cut on and right back on while driving it. I really dont know why and it's freaking me out really badly. The shop keeps telling me there is nothing wrong with it.
  • 1995 Mercury Sable
    Visitor, Frankfort, KY, February 03, 2012 19:35
    I HAVE A 95 sABLE WITH A 3.0 MOTOR. THE HEAD GASKET BLOW, SO i REPLACED THE HEAD GASKETS, BUT NOW i CAN,T GET THE VAVLE COVER GASKETS TO STOP LEAKING, I,VE BEEN THROUGH TWO SET SO FAR AND THEY STILL LEAK,THE COVER ARE NOT BENT I,M AT MY WITS END. GOT ANY IDEALS
    Visitor, Carbondale, PA, December 31, 2011 06:59
    I bought a used 2000 sable and absolutely love the car but i've been some kind of issue with the car going up hills. For some odd reason the tac is going up but the car is not shifting out of low gear and is taking me up over the hills at 40 mph. There is no noise coming from the engine and no shifting problems otherwise with the car. Does any one else out there have the same problem or know what this might be? Is there a sensor for this? Please help
    Jim Bo, Saint James, MO, October 21, 2011 16:40
    We have own this car for 2 yeaars. The fuel milage is rated at 29 hwy 24 around town. We around town about 17 miles per gal. Hwy at the best is 25 miles per gal. Ford garage say there nothing wrong and it is not the diver. it also very from time to time. It run great. Jim
  • 1990 Mercury Sable
    Visitor, Littleton, CO, October 07, 2011 18:58
    1989 sable original owner 3.8L. Gas peddle got stuck on full throttle. I managed to brake and release pedal that was flat to the floor. Is this technical bulletin sheet issue?
    Visitor, Saint Paul, MN, September 10, 2011 11:58
    I just bought a Pre owned 1997 Mercury Sable from someone. I just have a question maybe someone out there is a mechanic or knows something about this. I turn the steering wheel and it like makes a noise kinda like an errrr.car runs and drives great but just wondering what it might be. I have not been a mechanic in so many years. does anyone know is it a belt or the Rack or what do you think it might be. I would love to hear from someone if they know something. I am in MN. my email is MNTwinsfan08@Gmail.com. so if someone possibly knows and can tell me. any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks Sean
    Visitor, Naperville, IL, July 21, 2011 21:41
    got a 1996 gray as my first car, 126,000 miles and its still running like a champ for the year. i only have small issues [the brakes pull very slightly to the left over 55mph, it idles at 1-1/2 but thats to be expected of a 15yr old car, and the a/c needs recharging] every thing else is smooth as silk. id recommend mercurys to the grave. and yea it is a taurus and vice versa
    Visitor, Hazel Crest, IL, June 03, 2011 22:35
    MY 97' SABLE, was my 1st car, and i loved it like it was a luxurious car, UNTILL it started to mess up a year after i bought it. my dash-board 's electricity was shot, so the check-engine light would stay on, the car door open light would stay on, which means my interior lights would not cut off unless the car was off and sitting for an hour, and when i made right turns, my power-steering would cut completely off. My car radio would only work in Park, and Neutral. And my car would only have electrical problems in Reverse, Drive(1 and 2) i still haven't gotten it fixed but as soon as i do i'll be happy again. but other than ALL THOSE PROBLEMS, it rides so smooth!
    Visitor, Kernersville, NC, May 23, 2011 08:28
    My 2000 mercury sable has been unreliable. I bought it used with 69,000 miles in '03 and rebuilt the top half of the engine with 80,000 miles on it due to a burnt valve in early '04. Next the transmission went in mid '05 with 92,000 miles. Now in 2011 with 149,000 the transaxle is giving me problems and car will not go into any drive gears. My suggestion is to stay clear of all mercury products. If you have not had a problem yet one is surely soon to happen.
  • 2001 Mercury Sable
    Visitor, Port Saint Lucie, FL, May 14, 2011 10:31
    EXCELLENT,LUXURIOUS,TRANSPORTATION!!!
    Visitor, Aubrey, TX, December 25, 2010 09:19
    I bought my '99 Mercury Sable Sedan 4 years ago with 55,000 miles on it and have driven it thus far to 128,000. My Mercury has been the most reliable car I have ever owned personally. Over the past 4 years I have had to replace the AC sensor which cost about $75 and also replaced the front rotors. The front rotors continue to be problematic as they develop a rhythmic vibration when braking after about 10,000 miles of running new ones. The drive train has been great in the car! Loads of power and can really get up and go when you want it to but still gets great gas mileage when you drive conservatively...I can get between 27-29 miles per gallon in my Sable. The interior is sparse but that is the way I like my cars...simple! One complaint I do have is about the 1/4" gap which develops between the dash and the instrument cluster..little bit of heat in the sun and this is what happens to all Mercury Sables and Ford Taurus cars of the '96-'99 vintage. Overall great car...I plan on driving mine till something major goes wrong with it and then I will get the car completely restored....freshen up engine, body work with new paint, freshen up interior, etc.... way cheaper then going out and buying a new car!!! Finding used and new parts for the '99 Sable is easy....there seems to be one in every junk yard in my area and also 3-4 '99 Ford Taurus cars in each one as well. Parts are easy to find!! I recommend the Sable if you need a reliable family based car which is safe and at the same time has great power and gets excellent gas mileage!
  • 2003 Mercury Sable
    Visitor, Reidsville, NC, December 23, 2010 23:36
    I have a question? I cut my high beams off the other night and when I did the volume on the radio turned down then went back up and the dash board lights and the low beams dimmed a couple times. What could have caused that? Does anyone know? Other than that I love the car!
  • 2001 Mercury Sable
    Visitor, Elkhart, IN, December 11, 2010 09:05
    Great car, except air bag light malfunction. Does wonderful badly overloaded driving in the Rocky Mountains. 28.5 MPG highway.
  • 2009 Mercury Sable
    sableneedshelp, Bedminster, PA, December 06, 2010 12:38
    2008 Sable - I am having the same problem. Love the car but two times in the past three months the electrical system has completely shut down on me while I was driving it. The dealer can't find a problem so I am stuck. How do you get Ford to step up and replace the car. This is obviously very dangerous.
    JT1957, Zion, IL, December 05, 2010 23:48
    I have owned this car for 6 years. It has been fairly dependable but has had its share of electrical problems. Currently have a problem with the dome light staying on and the auto door lock not working. Also can not seem to get a set of front rotors that do not develop a hard spot causing a rhythmic vibration when stopping.
    pistei, Leland, NC, November 15, 2010 11:39
    the best car that i've ever owned (as far as faithfulness). mine's a station wagon. it's basically a taurus. so i bought a taurus for my son.
    pepasil, Fairfax, VA, November 13, 2010 13:17
    My sable is excellent & runs great, except for the brakes. I have had to replace my rotors at least 7 times. My car has 252108 miles. It looks, like it just came out of the showroom. Seventy Five (75) percent of the mileage is highway.My engine light came on about 2 years ago, and it has not caused any problem. I would like to know about how much an engine would cost if I have to replace it?
    Visitor, Miamisburg, OH, November 12, 2010 10:38
    I bought this care for $1100 ten months ago with 106,000 miles. The royal blue paint job is wearing off and the dashboard has cracks. I saw another identical Sable in the same color and it's paint is wearing off the exact same way! The car runs perfectly. Immediately after purchase I had my mechanic check it out and do a major tuneup and maintenance for $700. I was taking it on a 2,500 mile road trip right away and didn't want to get stranded in the middle of the Nevada desert. The car is a gem if you don't mind the ugly paint. The only thing that doesn't work is the rear window defroster (it's a station wagon). This transportation is about as cheap as it gets.
    Visitor, Seligman, MO, November 12, 2010 10:38
    The only problem I've encountered is the rear coil springs are both broken. The car has 103,000 on it. After discovering this, I have spoken to other Sable owners and nearly HALF of them had to replace the rear springs. The front springs are on recall only if broken, but the dealer will install a metal plate to the front struts to prevent the coil springs from puncturing a tire when they eventually do break.
    Visitor, Russellville, AR, November 12, 2010 10:38
    The only problem I have experienced is a trans-flush I am about to have done for minor slip at 40 mph. I hope this is just a fluid replacement and not a transmission replacement. Even so, this has been a great car no repairs except basic upkeep (I'm at 124k miles)until now.
    Visitor, Strongsville, OH, November 12, 2010 10:37
    Finally selling this one, something is wrong with the A/C and its not a recharge, Needs a new timing belt, I'm at 93K Miles. Has been for the most part a reliable car since purchases brand new.
    Visitor, Platteville, WI, November 12, 2010 10:37
    Good car, a few common problems to note: 1. Headlights are poor, and aftermarket ones are nearly impossible to find. This has caused me to hit three deer last year. 2. Transmission slippage will probably occur around 150,000. Some people have driven this car an additional 200,000 before the transmission breaks down. 3. Strut replacement is needed a little more often than normal 4. Rusting is an issue. The factory engine is the best part about this car
    amanda_k8, Indian Head, MD, November 12, 2010 10:37
    My boyfriend and I recently got this car from his mom. His mom had to get some things done on it. For instance she had to get a new battery and transmission was slipping a little bit when she was driving it. But we had it sitting for 8 months and we had to get another new battery and put some tans-x in it and it runs perfectly. The only thing is now the power seating in the drivers seat hasn't worked since before the car was sitting. The seat is all the way back and i can not reach the peddles but my boyfriend can. Other than that i say its an all around good car. But if anyone has any ideas on what to do about the power seating we would gladly appreciate it.
    Visitor, Crystal Lake, IL, November 12, 2010 10:37
    Good car. Brakes are a constant issue.
  • 1994 Mercury Sable
    Visitor, Hilo, HI, November 12, 2010 10:37
    The car is great if Ford will fix the problems that the car came with when they produced these cars. The 3.8L engine have bad head gaskets and they go out because of the engine design. They should still fix this problem. The transmission is another issue that Ford never fixed. Slips due to some cylinder inside of transmission. The A/C unit was poorly designed so it will not hold a A/C charge. The steering pump always makes noise. You can not adjust your own timing on this engine due to where the timing mark location, under the engine where you cant see it. Best part about the car is the room inside. Save your money and do not buy this car. That is why people give them away or sell them before the headaches begin.
  • 2009 Mercury Sable
    Visitor, Cleveland, OH, November 12, 2010 10:37
    My Dad has a '09 Sable. Great car...problem is...on rare unknown occasions...2 so far, the engine will shut down and the instrument panel lights come on as if you turned the key off, then back to the on position. This could really have been bad on our last 5 hour trip when a semi was barreling down on us. The FORD garage has had it all week and has even contacted the factory engineers with no luck so far. Has anyone else had this problem?
    Winterbunny, Brewster, NY, November 12, 2010 10:37
    We bought our 2005 Sable in August 2009. It had 52,000 miles on it. My husband uses it to commute to work 130 miles round trip - 5-6 days/week. We also use it on weekends because our Taurus has 150,000 miles on it. So we put 43,000 miles on the Sable in one year. The check engine light came on and the Ford dealer said it was the #4 cylinder - low reading and so it will cost $3750 to repair. We are not too happy about this. Has anyone else experienced this problem. I can't find any recalls on the engine.
    am_repaired_out, Sharon Center, OH, November 12, 2010 10:37
    The amount of repair work and faulty equipment has been outrageous and irresponsible of Mercury/Ford and I am not what they call a "rookie."
    Visitor, Saint Louis, MO, November 12, 2010 10:37
    suspension problems, powersteering almost works
    Visitor, Waconia, MN, November 12, 2010 10:37
    If you have the 24 valve duel overhead cam, it is a MONSTER and will run until it blows pistons. I really like the reliability of the car, just hate almost everything about the look. It looks like i'm retired, and going to bingo. I should be a little old lady with my poodle in my lap. Also, WHO decided to put the SPARK PLUGS under the engine??????? 300 bucks later, they were changed and the car started correctly again. Also, the back springs are broke, but seems like that's the liability of these cars. The fuel pumps are touchy also, and not a cheap fix. However, compared to the transmissions fix on a mazda, they were about comparable.
    GreenGin, Arlington, MA, November 12, 2010 10:37
    why all american cars look the same?????
    bjammin, Howell, MI, November 12, 2010 10:37
    I can not complain bought the car for 200 at 145k miles still going at 310K the winter salt has taken its toll full of rust. With minor repairs it keeps running every day.
    clariceannn, Browns Mills, NJ, November 12, 2010 10:37
    Best car I have ever owned. Reliable. Very few repairs.
    stardancer, East Lansing, MI, November 12, 2010 10:37
    This wagon has been great! I bought it in 2003 with 45,000 miles on it. I rarely drive so it has only 72,500 miles now. Only major repairs have been leaks in the head gaskets and the transmission pan gaskets.
    jjnoahjames, Flemington, NJ, November 12, 2010 10:37
    Wife had this car for awhile. Great all around car.
    gettysburg, Ledgewood, NJ, November 12, 2010 10:37
    This car is really great! It has never let me down and presently has 242,000 miles on it. Just recently has transmission slippage--need to find some repair costs to see if is worth repairing.
    Visitor, Dallas, TX, November 12, 2010 10:37
    I have owned this car since 2000. Overall it has been a fairly good car. The problems I have experienced are the same ones that others seem to encounter. The transmission had to be completely rebuild at about 77,000 miles, the interior lights stay on long after the doors are closed etc. On the positive side the AC and heater work great as does the stereo and other components. It also has a nice ride and reasonably good preformance. More thumbs up than thumbs down.
    Visitor, Pittsburgh, PA, November 12, 2010 10:37