Mercury Mystique Reviews

Mercury Mystique Reviews and Owner Comments

is there anyone out there that can turn me on to a engine wireing harness????wires dried out from the heat of the motor, need to replace it...8 hours of labor???? holy crap, and thats for someone who knows what he's doing...car is on it's third tranny, has only 51,000 miles..what am i going to do??????
My husband purchase me a new car for a Christmas present. I bought my Mystique new of 1995 has 300,000 miles going to miss my old car lasted me 19 years no issues with tranny or engine an reliable transportation. I did have problems with heater fixed $85 bucks getting a new compressor other than that car has been pretty reliable. The Mercury put me and my who grow to be children through lots of fun taking them to school, sports, activities, etc. Still looks good no problems out of nothing I know when sell it someone going to love this car very reliable have all regular receipts and maintenance when got car scheduled work done gets 26mpg mostly highway driving the interior is in good condition with everything else on car loved my Mystique was an great little midsize car ever.
I LOVE MY MYSTIQUE! Bought my car for $2,500, 2 years ago. It only had 98,000 miles on it. I've replaced the timing belt, had front and rear brakes done, put on a couple new tires, and put a new battery in her. I'm calling to get the new instructions for adjusting headlights. I do have problems with the blinkers and brake lights. I have the GS model and I just love the get up and go power it has. I've owned about 15 used cars and this one is the BEST so far.
mechanic replaced timing belt and it still runs poorly replaced plugs wires air filter .
This was literally, the "little old ladies" used car when we purchased it. It was seemingly a good deal at 2900.00 for a 51000 mile vehicle. Several months later, the transmission blew up. The front brakes - rotors, pads, calipers, hoses were all replaced. We've poured so much money into this massive POS that we could have instead just bought a new vehicle. It is now a 7500.00 dollar hunk of metal worth 800.00. In the warm weather, you can't put gas into it. The roll over safety check valve has swelled and unless it's cold, or early morning in the summer, filling the tank takes close to 15-20 minutes. We literally hate this car. Now, the replacement transmission has also blown up. Guess what? you've got to TAKE OFF THE FRAME to get the transmission out. Our lives are filled with hate for this horrible, horrible car. I'm practically ready to set it on fire and watch it burn.
At almost 300K miles, and considerable labor and parts over the last two years, it seems this car is trying to stay on the road...but my local repair shop(s) isn't(aren't) giving me much help. Three days before the last heater hose blew up (literally), I had taken my car to the shop to investigate anti-freeze leaks, only to be told that it needed a head gasket and they would be unwilling to do it! Consequently, I still had to do the hose job myself three days later, which was my ORIGINAL complaint! This car has been great until the last two years or so, but I guess it's to be expected with a 15-yr-old car! I've gotten about 10 good years from it!
I think this car is a Blessing.
The car appear to be in great shape but, everytime I turn around there is something wrong with this car.
I bought this car 4 years ago and put over $5,000 in repairs. 1 month ago had another repair two times egr valves replaced, and the check engine light is still on. I hate this car, and would not recommend it to anyone. Another lemon I got stuck with. Now I will not pass inspection. The mechanics that worked on it put the car on the computor and they cant figure out what it is. any ideas someone
Best car I ever had and still have for 5 yrs now and still going strong...
This car is a headache. The check engine light won't go off. It jerks when driving and cuts off in the middle of the street. Took it to the ford dealership, they didn't even knwo what was wrong with it. i just don't know what to do.... trash it maybe.
my mystique has 94,000 miles on it and my only problem so far an overheating problem, other then that im currently doing alot of preventive maintance based on reviews i have read online.
This is a great car. I have owned this used Mercury for a year now and it is in great shape it almost has 130,000 miles on it and only needs basic maintenance. Like fuel filters, oil changes and a tune up.
the best running car ever.
We have over 200,000 miles on ours and she still runs great. Put in a used trans with 60,000 miles and a new clutch/flywheel at about 180,000. That's it. Great car.
1998 Mercury Mystique DO NOT BUY!!! Fuse Box ... NO GOOD! I had it rewired, replaced and worked on numerous times and my car still cuts off on me while driving from the starter relay connection in the fuse box, on the freeway! My brake rotars has grooves in it as if someone dragged their fingers through sand. i had the a/c condensor replaced and the car itself poked a whole in it and released all the new freon in it. My fuel pump went out and i just had it replaced, and the steering is bad, never has been in an accident.
had problems with fuel pump , brake rotors warp easily,some fuse box troubles under warrenty , latest problem is doesn,t start once in a while , but garage can't find the problem , it will crank, good things about car love the power in the v-6 engine & the way it handles
1997 was the year for this car. A V-6 with a manual trans. With nearing 600,000 miles this is still the best car every. This has been a work-car since new,it has been used as an SCCA Autocross car since 2000. Sure the water pump failed on que, the electric wires cooked after the recall date, but I can get 41MPG when I really try.True the check engine light stay on and the A/C stopped working years ago. My wife and I have a room full of trophies from competition events. This car has been used on 'track days' @ Texas World Speedway. It's top speed is 110MPH.I use Mobil One since new. This is my car.
This car, although it appears to be a low-end basic vehicle, has been a pretty decent car. I purchased it from an original owner that took good care of it. It now has 120,000 miles on it and it's just now starting to experience some overheating/antifreeze loss issues. Pros - good gas mileage, peppy 4 cyl. engine and ok body style. Cons - noisy engine, headlight covers,over a period of time, turn yellowish and cause the headlights to dim, trunk seal is weak and causes leakage.
I've done put a transmission in this car now its bad,now it want crank,i think it mighta jumped time,and there is oil in cylinder 1 and 3 why?if you know please let me know.
This car I would not recommend to anyone, The engine light stays on no matter how much maintaince you have done on the car.
My parents own one and they have it in the shop every month. I have a Mini Cooper and a Honda and nowhere near the problems this has. Heck, just look at the list of recalls and service bulletins! I'm not even going to list all the problems, just avoid one of these!