Problems for specific Mercury Mountaineer years:

Car problem reports

Problem with your car? See what our experts say or submit your own.

Newest reported 2003 Mercury Mountaineer problems

Reported by el doro for the Mercury Mountaineer

My car cranks but won't start, at first it would start and ram its self just a lil and every time I stopped at a red light or stop singe it would sshot off on me and when it was on I would have to keep one foot on the brake and one on the gas I already changed the starter battery spark plugs spark plug wires, I still can't get my car to start can you please help me.

1 Report

Verified for the Mercury Mountaineer

A rattling noise from the engine may indicate that the timing chain cassette is worn. Our technicians tell us that installing an updated cassette and timing chain tensioner should correct this concern.

25 Reports

Verified for the Mercury Mountaineer

The intake manifold O-ring gaskets commonly leak, causing stalling and poor idle quality; the Check Engine Light will illuminate.

18 Reports

Verified for the Mercury Mountaineer

A coolant leak may develop from the radiator. Ford has released and updated radiator and powertrain control module (PCM) software update to address this issue. The software update includes revised cooling fan operating parameters. Failure to complete both service procedures may result in repeated radiator failures.

10 Reports

Verified for the Mercury Mountaineer

A failed heater blend door or actuator can cause the temperature control for the HVAC system to stop working. A clicking sound from the dash area would commonly indicate an actuator fault. If the heater gets stuck on the hottest setting, the heater blend door may be broken requiring replacement of the heater box to repair the issue.

66 Reports

Verified for the Mercury Mountaineer

A cosmetic crack may develop on the plastic liftgate trim panel. Our technicians tell us the Ford has released a service procedure to replace the applique without damage the the liftgate glass.

199 Reports

Verified for the Mercury Mountaineer

The composite (plastic) intake manifold may crack near the thermostat housing and cause a coolant leak. Ford released an updated manifold that was reinforced to prevent a recurrence. No recall was issued for this problem but Ford did extend the warranty to seven years on some models from the date of purchase.

43 Reports

Verified for the Mercury Mountaineer

The rear window wiper may not fully contact the rear window. To fix, replace both the wiper blade and wiper arm.

30 Reports