mercury cougar black smoke problem on 2002 Mercury Cougar

My 2002 Mercury Cougar has black smoke coming out the tail pipe when idle at times and when accelerate hard service engine light is on code reads po401 replace 02 sensor down stream @ back of car it don't run rough at all.

by in Shellman, GA on March 28, 2014
1 answer 3 comments
ANSWER by on March 28, 2014
Scan test needed! Live data will help a bunch!
COMMENT by on March 28, 2014
what do you mea by scan test and push rod and camshaft, that mean I need a new engine
COMMENT by on March 28, 2014
what do you mean by scan test and push rod and camshaft, that mean I need a new engine
COMMENT by on March 28, 2014
I have a 1995 Mercury Cougar XR7 (V8), last night it stalled out at a stop light and I had to get it towed because every time I got it started I tried to put it in drive and th rpms just dropped to...
MY COUGAR IS AKING FUNNY. IN SHORT..WHEN I START IT IN THE MORNING ,IT STARTS FINE..BUT AFTER DRIVING IT AWHILE AT HIGHWAY SPEED THE ENGINE LIGHT COMES ON AND WHEN CAR IS SHUT OFF..ITS VERY HARD T...
I was told it could be a ecm or eca that is not working but i dont know where to find find them . If anyone knows please help thanks