2002 Mercury Cougar Q&A

2002 Mercury Cougar Question: mercury cougar black smoke problem

My 2002 Mercury Cougar has black smoke coming out the tail pipe when idle at times and when accelerate hard service engine light is on code reads po401 replace 02 sensor down stream @ back of car it don't run rough at all. -
Scan test needed! Live data will help a bunch! -
Comment 1
what do you mea by scan test and push rod and camshaft, that mean I need a new engine -
Comment 2
what do you mean by scan test and push rod and camshaft, that mean I need a new engine -
Comment 3
...one and tried to get help. They did not know what it was so I started with the cheapest thing (fuel filter) that did not fix the problem (I don't think?). I just drove it around after I replaced the fi...
MY COUGAR IS AKING FUNNY. IN SHORT..WHEN I START IT IN THE MORNING ,IT STARTS FINE..BUT AFTER DRIVING IT AWHILE AT HIGHWAY SPEED THE ENGINE LIGHT COMES ON AND WHEN CAR IS SHUT OFF..ITS VERY HARD T...
I was told it could be a ecm or eca that is not working but i dont know where to find find them . If anyone knows please help thanks