i have a 400e and mercedes benz and it was stored in a garge for 3 years after that i charged up the battery it worked fine but after 30 mins of it being on it turns off and it wont turn on untill the engine cools down. does anyone know whats wrong? Also you can see the muffle makes noises when you acceleretes it makes a nosie like boom boom and it sounds like its chocking.
Mercedes-Benz Q&AAsk Your Question
1993 Mercedes-Benz 400E Question: mercedez benz 400e 1993 storred away for 3 years
Answer #1patrick mannion from Greg Solow's Engine Room, February 07, 2009, 10:09Master
I would have the battery charged and tested, both a high rate discharge test and hydrometer test if possible. Next I would have the battery negative cable disconnected and an amp meter put in series to check for any parasitic draw on the battery. The battery may have sulfated after its long rest. Have you driven the car far enough since its rest to have used all the fuel in the tank. Top it up with fresh fuel perhaps change the fuel filter. At a minimum check the battery voltage ensure battery connections are clean and tight, on starting the car see what the battery voltage drops to while cranking it should not drop below 9.6 volts on prolonged cranking and the battery should quickly recover to 12.6 volts.
Your second issue ensure rodents have not built a nest in your air filter housing or have damaged any wiring in the engine compartment.
Answer #2Visitor, February 27, 2010, 14:24
i have a 400e mercedes benz.the car was covered with snow. i started it and it start fine. the car was idleing for about 20 min while i was removing the snow and then start to hesitate. i turned it off. i try to start it up immediatly and it will not start. does any one have an idea what might br the problem.
Answer #3Visitor, August 15, 2010, 05:49
Sounds like a bad connection to your engine temp sensor. It tells your computer the temp or your engine so it can direct the fuel system to change the fuel mix etc. correctly for the engine temp. It will work when cold because it defaults to cold temp operation, but once the engine starts to heat up, the output should change. If it doesn't, the engine will slowly begin to run more rough and in many cases stall. Once cold, will start up with no problem. Sometimes the connection gets oxidized due to temp and moisture changes. Try pulling it off and re-seating it. Can be found under the black plastic vented cover that snaps onto the big black air filter housing in the engine compartment. Pull it up to remove. Under it, you will see a few sensors that look like spark pugs. The one to the left with one wire connects to your temp guage on your instrument cluster. The one to the right with the larger connection is the one you want. Pull the connector off (with care as they get brittle) and put back on. Do this a couple of time to clean the connection. Could also be bad, which requires replacement. I think about $50 for part, use a spark plug socket and use thread lube to ensure easy removal in the future. Keep in mind, you car has been sitting so you could be dealing with other stuff. I would change oil, plus, air filters anyway. Hope this helps