Mercedes-Benz ML430 Reviews

Mercedes-Benz ML430 Reviews and Owner Comments

Update to San Ramon visitor - I now have 240,000 miles on my ML430. In the last year - new engine mounts, new transmission mount, new water pump,new v-belts (2x), new timing case cover and gasket to stop oil leak, new oil fill gasket to stop oil leak, another set of Kumho tires (excellent tires 60,000 miles on the last set). Transmission fluid changes at 220K (last change was at 105K). I have a condition where the low coolant light comes on at low speeds. I believe it is the auliliary water pump ($200 for the part). Every morning when I leave for work there is a small amount of coolant on the ground. At low speed the light comes on. At highway speed the light stays off. Despite all of the problems, I think I can make it to 400K miles. It still looks great when washed and waxed. I still would only rate my ML 430 3 stars. If I make it to 300K miles, I'll bump it up to 4 stars.
3rd owner...obviously 1st 2 did not care about the car!! Mysterious leaks, water pump replaced, oil filter housing broken and no oil changes til me!!, alternator went bad, heavy rains and the car leaks from rear view mirror display, never had a service repair!! I purchased this vehicle to move up to a better class of vehicle from Infinity --- trust me Mercedes Benz equates to No Class!! in my book....
I love my 1999 ML 430 ! You're right about the cost to keep maintenance but I do most of the work myself! I've been performing mechanics on all vehicles purchased as well as serviced elsewhere. It's more fun if know what your'e doing! I'm keeping it as long as I can! Retired Military!
I bought my 199 ML430 4 years ago, with only 53,000. With low mileage, great looks, and 3rd row seats, I felt it was an excellent family car. After owning it for less than a year, I had oil leaks, check engine light turning on,suspension problems, car was not starting and had to have all fuse box changed, after heavy storm, wind shield wipers couldn't work, coolant pump replaced, the list goes on and on. I can't remember all of my problems. Now on the 4th year, coolant is leaking. This car is a money pit and I would not recommend it to anyone.
I have a 2000 ML430 & live in the Midwest this is the best winter vehicle I have ever driven I was low on cash & couldn't afford a new set of rubber before winter of 2010 & it was a bad & snowy/ice-y winter with half bald tires I never once got stuck with the 4wl drive I would drive by new "suvs" with 4-wheel drive stuck in a 1/2 a foot of snow I could go uphills with not problem a little hesitation but never stuck & I'm talking 13' of snow a few times & half bald tires folks....I was amazed I have around 175k miles on it now the engine is a beast and the thirsty V8 moves it quickly when you punch the gas it doesn't hesitate to move. Now the bad no matter what pads I put on it the brakes squeak all the time even if they are new, so many little things go wrong with it like my abs went out for the dealer to replace quoted a price of $2300-engine light comes on all the time for various reasons was told my the dealer it was due to a sensor $750 repair-my heated seat has a spot that feels as if it will burn the skin of my hind parts if on high-my fm radio doesn't work any longer was told my a friend that the fm-doo-hickey mite have gone out I have had to replace the power winder motor 2x on the drivers door. The cheap looking plastic cover on the bottom of the drives seat is cracked & broken the list goes on & on the car is paid for so I plan to keep it running but won't fix anything that is not vital I hate not having ABS but the brakes work good w/o it I really dislike the mpg of 15 city 20hwy premium it kills my wallet but overall I plan to hang on to it for a while
i own this truck since 2005 .nice looking but is too eexpensive to care .oil liking sensor problems i dont know .even the dealer in paramus the service has been failed
I love the drive and I love the comfort and protection it provides, but quite a few recalls, but no regrets.
i love my ml430 no probs people who dont like ltem should by jap crap or yank junk
I LOVE MY TRUCK. I'VE HAD IT SINCE 2004 AND AM THE 2ND OWNER. NEVER HAD ANY MAJOR PROBLEMS
Way too many problems for the 50K plus I paid for it brand new in 2001. Two ignition key failures, my cost $800.00, two power window failures, my cost $300.00, Brakes replaced twice in 81K miles, once with all four rotors replaced my cost $500.00 - I purchased Napa pro-Quiet and they outlast Mercedes OEM by three-five time the mileage, Fuel gage has failed and I'm looking forward to spending a Saturday replaced the unit, A/C went out and had it recharged my cost$165.00, Replaced the tires twice at $250.00 a corner with Michelin Latitude and they last approximately 50K miles, bottom line this is my first and last mercedes a Piece of Junk!
May 20, 2010 - With 207,000 miles I've had my share of repairs. Overall, 3 stars. Too many recalls, too expensive to maintain, gas mileage could be better than 15 to 16 per gallon/20 highway,too complicated and over engineered. Would I buy another MBZ, you bet. It still runs and looks good.
May 8, 2010 - I purchased a 99 ml430 in January 2005 with 100,000 miles on it. Current, I have 208,000 miles on it. Since then I have replaced the Harmonic Balancer (recall), the mufflers (recall) and the power steering pump ($1400), the MFA ($249), the CSP ($500) and the brakes ( seems like every 45,000), two sets of tires. I am ready for my third set of tires and brakes, the power window circuit board $200), new engine pulley ($400). Overall, I would rate this vehicle only 3 stars.
I wouldn't recommend this car to my friends, family or enemies. Ive owned two cars in my life and its this one and a 1989 toyota corolla. I thought I was moving up to a more reliable car. however this ML430 has been giving me problems since I bought it in 2007. Within the first week the sunroof wouldn't close. From then on, Every month it was something different. Sensor lights Ive never seen would come on, brakes would still squeak even after you get them done not to mention I need new brake pads every half a year, I needed a new crank shaft because the car had to be cold to crank up, I need a new part for my transmission I couldn't change gears and many more problems. Ive tried to for get rid of it but can not because Im stuck with this hunk of junk. Please others DO NOT BUY this vehicle. Oh yeah whats my current problem for this month the caliber converter is busted...dealership states it was already replaced. so now I have to pay an average of $2000 to get it fix.
I have been very happy with my purchase.