Reviews for Mercedes-Benz ML320 years:

Mercedes-Benz ML320 Reviews and Owner Comments

Mercedes-Benz ML320Owner Reviews (23 reviews)
    Visitor, Las Vegas, NV, October 26, 2014 15:09
    Dont recommend buying one it's a money pit 3 fuel pumps installed problems with door locks,power window switches,had replace radiator due to cheap plastic part.ars,esp,and lights just came on problems with A/C.can't wait to dump this money pit.161,000 miles
    Visitor, Bellevue, WA, September 24, 2014 10:08
    320 k miles now!! ---good in snow and ice, nothing ever wrong, purchased with 40k, one sensor light always on but 22-23 mpg. it needs cat converter now, only work ever needed. interior has worn well. no head room if over 6ft 1 or so but a beast in the wet and snow. almost the match of chevy crew cab in snow.
    shoshonite, Elmhurst, IL, September 22, 2014 21:45
    Bought used because it fit my bikes. Loved it..and interior fold flat seats and low range 4wd, but never used it, sadly. Didn't take it offroading, gas tank straps were vulnerable. Love the way it drives and parks.. very nimble in snow. However, I learned to absolutely fear repairs. I didn't like Volvo repair prices and Mercedes was double! Wow...I make good money but not that good. Make sure you earn $200,000/year and live modestly with 2 kids...I rarely made much over $125 and thought the maintenance expensive. I knew the car had reliability issues...the size and price was OK. I went to a dealer once or maybe twice for recalls. The mercedes specialist wasn't much better. They all wanted tons of money. I had on a list to fix a tiny oil leak I never even saw in 10 years. Tiny. Finally went to a good import generalist. Maybe I should have used dealer and paid $$$...car would have been alive today. Saved $7k in repairs but lost $5k in sale. It never burned oil between changes...not a bit...maybe part of a quart down. Probably leaked because of synthetic oil. The engines were supposedly German. The exhaust system wasn't. Use dino oil, wont't escape cracks. Several times center driveshaft bracket bearing failed, AC radiator rusted. I finally sold car for $1500 because rust attacked lower passenger doors, front end repairs, maintence. My bad...Chicago car...and salt. We need cathodic protection!
    Visitor, Clinton, IA, April 13, 2014 09:49
    i have problem with key look door
    Visitor, Simi Valley, CA, September 20, 2013 12:49
    Background: Wife got t-boned in a pt-cruiser and totaled it at less than 30mph with no airbag deployment and 3 year old daughter in car. Decided to get something extremely safe going forward, but money was tight. Found that you can get a reasonably good condition ml for well under 10k. We had crappy credit so went to a wholesale dealer knowing full well that we were not going to get one that was in perfect shape nor would it have been taken care of in the way it should. Research also showed that you can nail a tree head on in this vehicle at 60+mph and everyone walk away safely. Ok - sold - 109k mi, 2002 ml320 (11 yrs old) good tires, brakes rocked, no pings/knocks, good shape inside and above all - the right color (seems 95% of used Mercedes are silver...go figure) Car ran perfectly until I made a run 40 miles from home. on the way back check engine light comes on and car is sputtering - sounds like a lawn mower at stoplight. I determined one of the cylinders isn't firing. Was almost ready to buy a new coil as that was said to be a common problem. Wife said no - take it to the mechanic across the street. I was hesitant until while speaking with him he said that he used to own a Mercedes graveyard (junkyard). I told him the front brakes needed to be changed and the oil was due plus the check engine problem. He called back and said there was a fouled plug and that cleared the check engine light - oil was due (mobile 1 synthetic) and he said it needed new plugs (12) and new plug wires (ouch - those were expensive) - add in the brakes and a complete checkout of the vehicle for $1000. Not bad actually if you tally up the parts: plug wires - 120, brakes, 90, turn rotors - 50 (although supposedly not recommended), plugs $50, oil $50 , 1 brake wear sensor was bad ($10), plus labor, 120 for reading the code, etc - actually it was a lot of work and he had it ready the next morning. Cool - no issue since and he said keep up the maintenance if we expect it to last - that is the critical thing with the ml. He said of all the Mercedes these are one of the most unreliable, but will run forever if you just keep after them. He said sensors are the most common issue of failures and some can be expensive. Ok - Inside the car: Rule 1: Change the stereo to something more modern. If you don't mind dropping some coin get one that interfaces with the OBDII system and it will tell you everything from fuel consumption to engine timing. The existing Command System from that era used analog cell service - the upgrade to the new tech is cost prohibitive and honestly isn't as good as you can get by spending a few hundred. If you have the ml320, you probably dint get navigation, nor did you get the trip computer. Buying a new stereo can include that - plus phone service (via Bluetooth), etc and bring you to a completely different experience. The other ml models all came with nav so unless it breaks there is no need to upgrade - just buy a Bluetooth kit or whatever to connect your phone in place of the factory phone. 2: Replace the 4 things that break: Door pockets, rear cup-holder, rear ashtray, front ashtray. You may want to swing by the local upholstery shop and have them re-pad and recover the center colsole lid....but that is more cosmetic usually. 3: The guage placement is very good, and tells you much of what you need to know - again - I suggest the OBDII interface for your radio. You can even get one that does hud by projecting onto the windshield if you hunt around a bit - 4: Seats are comfortable but are definitely designed for the shorter person in mind. Make sure you fit comfortably - i'm 5'10 and with the seat in the furthest back position i'm just barely comfortable. I would presume you can move the mounts back a tad or get some aftermarket thing to make them work for tall people, but you are more likely going to have to live with what you got so check it. 5: The steering wheel adjustment is really pretty lame as far as tilt but the fact that it doesn't telescope is my biggest complaint. Deal with it...its a nuance but still quite comfortable. 6: The cruise control has no indicator that it is engaged or disengaged and while comfortable and easy to use, the lever gets in the way if you are in a big hurry and not looking for the blinker - I almost ate it once by having cruise set at 85 then when exiting the freeway I reached for the blinker and accidentlly hit resume on the cruise lever - BE CAREFUL! It does reset each time the car is started. 7: This thing has more airbags than the Michelin Man and Stay Puff Marshmallows combined. You get seriously injured in this and it is probably an act of GOD! Seriously, I've spoken to people who rolled thiers 4+ times and walked away without so much as a bruise! That said - WEAR your seatbelt and drive safely! 8: The door lock button is in a very inconspicuous space....right in the middle of the console. After months of driving it - we still forget! 9: The rear seats can lock into a position close to the front seat (think back of a 80's-90s Camaro...this is to accommodate more room in the back for cargo and the third seat option (wish more of those were available) - be sure you lock it into place or anyone (including kids in car seats) are going to get squished hard by either the seat or their ankles twisted badly - i'm still stuck buying slurpees for my 4 year old on the "don't tell mom" bribe thing! 10: The rear headrests do not fold down like in the sedans and the center one can be more than a little annoying. However, Taking them out is inconvenient and a good way to loose one. Leaving them in - well it makes a big blind spot. 11: At slow speeds you may hear a clicking or something like that from the wheels or suspension. I don't know what it is, but it always has bugged me. I'm told it isn't a problem...so I cope - but it does bug me. Those are all of my complaints - pretty short list for a 12 year old car with over 100k miles. The seats are amazingly comfortable. Brakes: OMFG! MAKE SURE PEOPLE HAVE THEIR SEATBELT ON BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT THE "HOW FAST DOES IT REALLY STOP" THING AND PRAY TO GOD YOU HAVE NOTHING BEHIND YOU WITH A LONGER STOPPING DISTANCE THAN A FERARRI! Total control during all braking conditions! Drive Train: A tad underpowered, but livable. the 5 spd tranny works great - smooth shifting through the entire RPM range...you could have your coffee in your hand from a full throttle start through top speed at wide open and never spill a drop from the shift! Electrical and lights - Thank god we picked the 2002 as it comes with the cool HID lights and the nicer looking taillights. Very bright - excellent visibility. Only complaint is auto mode should've been default - not off. Also - why the hell cant they make the fog lamps work when auto is on? Seriously - you can make a car drive itself across Europe, but you cant turn on the friggin fog lights? Engine: has a nice rumble and is reasonably powered - this motor in this vehicle would've benefited greatly from a turbo. Still - enough power an it isn't like there aren't larger motor options. Seems reliable and has a nice poppy sound - doesn't sound whoosh like the US sixers - this one sounds beefy, stout and the power is deliberate! HINT: Restart the vehicle to reset the ESP and you'll get a different feel. Don't forget - it remembers how you drive and adjusts the shiftpoints and acceleration to a match. Exhaust - seems fine - fuel economy is above 20 - cant complain! HEAT and A/C - Heat rocks - AC blows - just not very hard - different vent locations for the rear other than in the center console would've been better - but overall - it does the job nicely. Suspension and steering - when Mercedes said they started with one of their normal auto platforms and built up from there - they were not lying. I've driven lowered and tricked out chevy tahoes that cant handle like this. So stable you feel like you are ina car! Center of gravity is low and it has no mushy SUV in its bones at all! This this was meant to perform! The simulated locking differential rectifies any articulation issues you might experience offroad by allowing wheels to come off the ground at the slightest offset - but - it handles it well! Who's really trying to do extreme off road in a Mercedes anyways? I'd expect you can get aftermarket parts to trick em out - but you'd lose the road stability. I would probably upgrade the rims to the newer 20" or so - they look so much nicer! Overall - Serious - $8k? I've been in brand new cars that don't feel this tight! My other x has a liberty which is 4 years newer and built in the same plant. The liberty was even designed by Mercedes (cooperatively with Chrysler engineers), but there is just no comparison between the 2 vehicles. IT IS worth EVERY Penny! If you can afford it - go with the post 2007 so you get the cooler/newer design. Personally - I'd like to have a GL - but cant separate with the cash for the time being. My overall recommendation - keep a grand int he bank and have a decent Mercedes mechanic nearby to handle any mishaps - look - if you want a new car - GO BUY ONE! IF you want a top of the line luxury SUV - You'll be hard pressed to do better! One last note - I cannot stand the BMW FRIGGIN RED LIGHT INTERIOR! Makes me crazy! Also their massive footlong stereo is just way too funky and leaves no room for cheap upgrades. Volvo just feels cheap inside - Thank you ford! Audi is overpriced and didn't make that great of a machine in those years and still sports the stupid red dash light setup as BMW. The Mercedes feels classy - IT feels like you expect it to...only you don't expect the stability and performance....I suppose it is after-all - a Mercedes!
    Visitor, Allentown, PA, August 29, 2013 04:31
    You have no business buying a vehicle like this unless you have a lot of extr4a cash. It's a bouncy ride. The dealership is a rip off, as they all are. Parts are exorbitant. The need for hi test negates any cost-saving measures. And there are so maNY better vehicles you can get for much less money.
  • 2003 Mercedes-Benz ML320
    Visitor, Daly City, CA, July 15, 2013 13:20
    I have mercedes ml 320 2003 . i have problem while i drive the car the car lost the power i mean when i push down the gas pedal nothing happens its take about 3 to 5 second to get the power again, the problem come once or twise aweek. I send the car to the dealer and they did the diagnos and replace the first time the throttel pedal sensor, and i still have the same problem and the second time they replace the air flow sensor ( mass flow sensor) and i still have the same problem,the third time they told me at the throttel pedal sensor that they replaced are defected and will replacet again and they did ........but i still have the same problem ..can somebody tell what is the problem
    whodaie, San Antonio, TX, June 30, 2013 10:04
    Other than dash not showing temp of engine does the coolant sensor have any other function when not working properly. After belt snaped wires going to sensor broke. I replaced belt now I have no engine temp reading electric fans are on ALL the time and a/c stopped working
  • 2003 Mercedes-Benz ML320
    Nicasio, Austin, TX, October 16, 2012 10:36
    I love the car is strong and powerful but is a real pain, sensor go out shift control etc. Every other month look like a Christmas the dash board, no saying the brake switch the I have one on the glove box, I want to tell you the I had the has bean tow, and not only ones.
    Visitor, Chatsworth, CA, June 24, 2012 20:14
    This is a great car. But there is a little problem with the AC and we have to recharge it. Where is the ac gauge so i can recharge it?
    Visitor, Franklin, MA, April 08, 2012 19:06
    i HAVE NO POWER STEERING AND IS VERY HARD TO DRIVE, HOW DO i FIX AND WHATR WOULD THE COST BE $$
    shucks, Boca Raton, FL, February 22, 2012 18:30
    mercedes ml320 has a check engine light and periodically slows down like the motor is choking and the brakes are on.bas light comes on. It almost stalls out but generally will pick up again and drive sometimes for days, week or months before doing it again. Sometimes it happens multiple times in a day. I have been told--1) the computer 2) the brake light 3) The transmission 4)Needs a 100,000 mile service on and on and on. Dollars I'm told are 1000--2000---3000???? Second problem navigation when it says confirm destination and you try the indicator blinks like you clicked it but nothing happens. Help
    Visitor, Boca Raton, FL, February 22, 2012 18:19
    My ml320 has been fairoverall --- has mystery problems.1) leaks oil I'm told the motor and possibly transmission will have to be taken apart to stop it. Now it has a check engine light and at unknown times when your are driving along it acts like it is stalling and the brakes are on and your speed goes to almost zero and then (so far) it catches back up and drives normal.mercedes ml320 has a check engine light and periodically slows down like the motor is choking and the brakes are on. It almost stalls out but generally will pick up again and drive sometimes for days, week or months before doing it again. Sometimes it happens multiple times in a day. I have been told--1) the computer 2) the brake light 3) The transmission 4)Needs a 100,000 mile service on and on and on. Dollars I'm told are 1000--2000---3000???? Second problem navigation when it says confirm destination and you try the indicator blinks like you clicked it but nothing happens. Help
    Visitor, Santa Clarita, CA, July 16, 2011 11:00
    I love my ML320! First of all the leather interior is beautiful and has held up nicely with kids and dogs :). Secondly it has never broken down on me. I have had to do some minor but expected repairs, and its been a great car. It does take synthetic oil but you only have to change the oil every 12,000 miles so it doesn't cost any more than changing a regular car every 3,000-5,000, andf it saves time since you dont have to go in so much. The most important thing though is that the weight over 6000 lbs can be a tax deduction since i use mine for work it s sweet and its strength is great in an accident my car was rear ended in a multi car accident on the 5-14 split it had only a few scrathces where as the other car (I was hit and hit a car) was crumpled. It is very safe, I LOVE IT!
    Visitor, Littleton, CO, June 26, 2011 14:24
    At 185,000 miles it's now worthless. We spent a small fortune in repairs over the lifetime - should have gone 225,000 to justify the expenses. The engine runs great but every other part seems to be broken. Given the level of care we gave to the car and the constant repairs (something like 50 repair tickets the first 100,000) it wasn't as good a value as 185,000 miles implies. However, the ML was great in the snow - especially safe going over CO mountain passes and worth the money to protect teenage drivers caught in bad conditions.
    Visitor, Wichita Falls, TX, April 17, 2011 10:49
    Transmission went into the "limp home" mode without warning. Was able to get home and to the garage at 20 mph for repairs due to a faulty sensor! Too many defective sensors that cause unecessary expenses.
    Visitor, Holly Springs, NC, January 09, 2011 11:16
    Loved it until everything went wrong at once. A/C, heat, seat heater-drivers, moon roof baffles, radiator and brakes all died within 6 months of one another.
    Visitor, Buffalo, NY, November 18, 2010 09:55
    Very dependable auto, for being the low end mercedes...
    luvmybaby, Chicago, IL, June 15, 2010 13:21
    I purchase my 1998 Mercedes-Benz ML320 "used" in February 1999. It had 38,000 miles on it. It has been across country twice. It has gone through severe winter weather in Chicago; extremely hot weather in Arizona; and the humidity in Georgia. I love my baby. To date, I have more than 166,500 miles on my vehicle. My one true complaint is that the brakes wear down quickly. My baby is great on the highway. She's an easy drive, and you would not believe she's as heavy as noted. I will drive her until all I have is the door handle to trade in. I will trade for another Mercedes M Class. If she were human... I am afraid to think of what state she might be in.
    Crazy Canuck, Aspen, CO, January 17, 2010 16:23
    I live Winnipeg.Manitoba, Canada and own an ML320 and love it. There are a couple of bugs like the overhead console lights don't come on anymore. Not sure if there is a master switch for them. Still getting to know the vehicle. I have made a couple of highway trips and at 68 mph I was still getting approximately 25 mpg with the Canadian gallon. For a vehicle as heavy as this and it being AWD that is actually great. The leather interior is great. It is a softer leather which is much nicer than my '93 Olds Cutlass Convertible. The seats are very comfortable too. I am 6'5" tall and have great legroom.
  • 1999 Mercedes-Benz ML320
    M. Kauzlarich, Kansas City, MO, January 07, 2010 15:07
    I've had this car for 8 years. 7 years longer than any other car I've ever owned. I've put over 100K on it with minimal problems during that time.. I had an electronic motor go out of the 4 wheel drive components twice, both times it was covered under warranty. I also had a piece of plastic trim crack on the rear like another review had mentioned. All in all, it's a great car and I'd even think about owning another one.
    Msousa, Oakland, CA, November 04, 2008 08:39
    Car drives really well. It's great on snow and ice. Mine has 100,000 miles on it now and it's running strong. I would definitely buy another one. My nit-picky comments are that the brakes wear down quickly, the AC vent has always had a slight rattle in it that they can't seem to fix, and a plastic trim piece on the rear corner of the car has cracked twice. The engine runs well, but it does burn a quart of oil every 5-7,000 miles. Apparently this is not unusual for this model.
  • 1999 Mercedes-Benz ML320
    Tiresidedown, Bonita, CA, October 16, 2008 09:53
    Great vehicle. Tenacious grip on ice and snow - durable and rock solid. Tows fine too despite it's weight. (It's a lot heavier than its size would indicate.) We drove a newer one while this was getting a repair @ Benz and we liked ours better. The newer one had touch screen for navi, radio, phone & HVAC and it didn't work very well and was impossible to read in the sun. Sometimes progress isn't - I prefer 'regular' controls for hvac, like a big knob for the temp and a big knob for the selection - it always works, anyone can use it whether it's hot or cold and with or without gloves, night or day, etc. Automakers used to think digital gauges were cool too - see any now? It's all back to analog, in all cars. Love the car. 100%.