Reviews for Mercedes-Benz C230 years:

Mercedes-Benz C230 Reviews and Owner Comments

Mercedes-Benz C230Owner Reviews (34 reviews)
    Visitor, San Diego, CA, December 08, 2014 12:55
    Bought my 99 230 Kompressor 3 years ago, and am happy with it overall. Only one major problem since I have owned it involving the alternator, but after a replacement all was well. All the other problems I have had have been superficial and cosmetic: Headliner is coming down, and the buttons inside can come off..accidentally sucked the trunk release up a vacuum! Hard to find replacement buttons! But in it's guts, where it counts, the car operates flawlessly with regular oil changes and ALWAYS passes the tough California smog inspections. The supercharger makes it much more powerful than a regular 4-banger, but it does drink fuel like a V6 as a result. It also tends to gear-hunt at low speeds, and resists upshifts until it is fully warmed up..usually about 2 minutes after a cold start, so it can be herky-jerky in creeping traffic. But overall a good car and one of the most reliable MB makes, which says alot because MB makes the most reliable cars in the German lineup.
    Visitor, Chesapeake, VA, July 07, 2014 20:07
    like any othe car,,,,,u have to take care of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Visitor, Springfield, MO, March 26, 2014 14:17
    I bought my MB C230 2007 in 2010 with 26000 on it, shortly after the warranty expired and things started breaking down one after another. First fuel pump, second transmission problems (it started getting stuck on gear while driving and wouldn't shift up or down), third camshaft sensor, solenoid magnet, brakes and rotors needed to be replaced on same time. The labor is very expensive in MB dealership. I would never buy another MB again. Very disappointed with German engineering :(((
    Visitor, Tampa, FL, December 20, 2013 18:02
    Oh my stars! What a disaster owning my Mercedes has been. It is garaged so the appearance is lovely. But in nine years I have replaced the a/c twice, the transmission, brakes seven times, alternator, four batteries and countless tires. I have a Toyota the same year and same miles and have merely supplied it with fuel and regular maintainance. I am so frustrated and disappointed in this product.....and as a German I am ashamed at the lack of quality.
    Visitor, Oklahoma City, OK, December 07, 2013 17:42
    I purchase this car April 2013 w/ 59,000 miles on it. Just two weeks ago my camshafts, fuel pump, and alternator went it. Talking about putting $3,000 down on a car to turn around and shell out $2,000 to get it back running again. This is BS and I'll never purchase another again, new and used. >:0
    Visitor, Earl, NC, September 25, 2013 12:30
    MB's suck. After being given an 06 C230 from a passing grandmother, I've learned that terrible. this car has 50,000 miles on it and it is crazy the things that it has needed and how much it cost. I've since upgraded to a four door 4x4 Ford F150 with an ecoboost twin turbo V6 that makes 400hp and the ability to tow 11,000 lbs while still getting the same MPG as the MB. If anyone walked up and handed me the keys to their MB, I'd laugh and tell them no thanks.
    Visitor, Scott Depot, WV, July 19, 2013 08:04
    I always wanted a Mercedes till I owned one. They are Way over rated. I cant keep brakes and rotors on mine. I have owned my first and last Mercedes. They are way to expensive to repair. If they were not such a "yuppie" status symbol, no one would own one.
    Visitor, Woodridge, IL, April 01, 2013 19:36
    I am enjoying this car as second owner. First owner drove 180000 miles than I took over few years ago. It has more than 260000 miles now but surprisingly it doesn't burn oil at all in between oil changes. I keep every 5000 miles use synthetic oil. I changed transmission fluid at 200000. Water Pump at 224000. Very recently Speedometer stock so I bought used one cost $ 80.00 so it shows only 115000 miles make me feeling good. Many people worry about maintenance but in my case. I was able to find these part from website source so most of time I could get parts less than other Import cars like Toyota, Honda.. I don't know how long I will keep this but engine, trans..main part remain strong, I probably try to go for at least 500000 miles. Mileage is also surprisingly accurate (23-30) I drove mostly highway so everage I could get 28-32 miles. I am loving this car
    Visitor, Virginia Beach, VA, March 06, 2013 12:53
    My 1998 Mercedes Benz C230 is extremely reliable car.I bought it in Nov 1997 brand new with 4 miles on it,after 16 years it has 84,800 miles on it and still reliable no breakdown,easy to start,my battery lasted for 10 years,change my 4 tires 3 times and follow car maintenance every 10,000 miles,no other repair.I love it".
  • 2002 Mercedes-Benz C230
    Visitor, Pompano Beach, FL, February 24, 2013 16:34
    great drive but lord the electrical stuff is worthy of a suzuki.mercedes should really address this issue.
    Visitor, Bedford Hills, NY, November 17, 2012 09:08
    I purchased my 1998 c230 from my sister in law when it was off leaseit had 20,000 miles that was in 2001 since i have put 140,000 miles on the car and compared to my dodge dakota with 105.000 miles and my accord 106,000 miles I am sorry to say the mercedes has cost 5 times more to maintain and operate then the dodge or honda. Would never by another over engineered car like this mercedes again. The parts for maintnance are 3X more expensive and not made to last very long, I have replaced 2 mass flow sensors,water pump ,brakes and rotors, timing chain tensioner, battery, O2 sensors,2 coils,vacume lines, ball joints and on and on what an expensive piece of junk.Don't get caught up in the reputation of this manufacture if you keep the car beyond it warentee period
    Visitor, Carlsbad, CA, June 01, 2012 16:39
    I have two 1998 C230's, one with over 130,000 miles and the other with 94,000 miles. I bought each of them at different times - the 130,000 one (green) had 65,000 when I bought it and the 94,000 mile one (black) had 48,000 when I bought it. I have only had one major failure and that was on the green one. The transmission fluid cooler leaked into the radiator coolant and vice versa resulting in a "chocolate shake" tranny fluid. I bought a new radiator ($190), flushed the tranny twice with new fluid, flushed the coolant system, hooked everything up and it's been running OK for over 20,000 miles. I've had to replace water pumps on both and belt tensioners on both, other than that I've had trouble free 111,000 miles out of both.
    Steve Rustam, Turlock, CA, March 07, 2012 13:39
    I am buying a 2003 c230 at a local dealer for 7000.00, they are having the valves done and the guy said it would run 1800 and split the cost with me or he would just wholesale it. It is in great shape otherwise. The compression runs 160-160-160-100, with cyl # 1 being the issue.....is this common at 100k mi?
    Visitor, Vance, AL, December 05, 2011 15:56
    I own a C230 Kompressor with 95000 miles on it. It has been a great car. The most recent issue was the check engine light was on, and the car had about half the power as it normally does. I took it to the dealer, they told me it was the Cam sensor leaking oil. This can leak into the wiring harness and cause you to have to replace the computer on the car. This is an "open campaign", (fancy word for recall) on these cars. The dealer didnt tell me about it and tried to charge me to repair it. Long story short, I contacted MBUSA and eventually got it repaired. The computer did have to be replaced along with the wiring harness.
    Visitor, Los Angeles, CA, August 11, 2011 15:33
    The right and left front blinkers have both gone out, been replaced and now the right front blinker is not working!!! Other than that I LOVE THIS CAR. It feels like a little tank compared to the Toyota I used to own. The Dealership will way too expensive so I use a private mechanic. So far, the only problem I've encountered is the blinkers. I did replace the battery at 46,000 miles.
    Visitor, Spokane, WA, March 12, 2011 21:12
    I've dreamed of having a Mercedes like this since riding in them used as Taxi's in Germany when I was in the military. I bought this car for my wife to drive three years ago with about 110k on it and she liked it until she drove a BMW my son owns. Well, she got her BMW and I have used this car as my in town car ever since. I love this car. It turns on a dime, gets great gas mileage,and has had only three issues in three years (the idler pulley , the radio and the key fob failed). I work on my own cars and so this car has been a vacation. Idler pulley-$110, Radio replacement-$120, aftermarket key fobs wired in-$100. Better than new. I think I'll keep this one for a while longer.......
    Visitor, Rocklin, CA, February 10, 2011 22:45
    2006 C230 Sport.
    Visitor, Kingston, TN, February 05, 2011 10:47
    I bought my 1999 C 230 Kompressor in 2002 and it had ~ 23,000 miles. It has been very reliable but it just recently had first mechanical breakage. Had to replace the wiper motor and linkage at 130,000 miles. Bought aftermarket parts and had them installed by a very qualified mechanic. Dealer wanted $1100 and I ended up spending $ 380. Works great now. The car gets around 25 mpg in town and ~ 30 on the road !!! Still drives and handles like it did when I bought it. Like the Benz so well, we traded the wife's BMW 325i for a 2009 C 300 about a year ago. Beemer was a DOG !! Talking about problems, I'll never own one of those again. Don't believe you can beat the C 230 for quality and price !!
    Rfsys1, Port Saint Lucie, FL, December 27, 2010 15:20
    Bought this car new in 99 and have had no serious problems (other than the dealer rip-offs). Have had to replace battery and motor mounts. Car runs great, gives me good gas mileage, solid little sedan!
    justandolestupf, Brigantine, NJ, December 07, 2010 21:00
    Bought this car for my better half new in 2005 instaed of another toyota. What a difference. The 1999 Solara with all the bells and whistles was a bit cheaper, but a 2005 Toyota was about $3k lower than the Benz . She loves this little Benz which is about the same size as the Solara. It is a far better car in every way, and will outlast her last car by maybe three times and much safer and comfortable in the process. You can take this to Fort Knox
  • 2002 Mercedes-Benz C230
    Visitor, Clearwater, FL, December 07, 2010 20:36
    I regret purchasing this car every time I get in it! While it's still a great drive, everything else about it seriously disappoints. My car has been constantly plagued with electrical problems, and all sorts of little things constantly breaking. I can't wait 'till it's either totalled, or I can get rid of the stupid thing
    Visitor, Beverly, MA, September 07, 2010 12:42
    I am new to Mercedez and the 1997 C230 I now own was inherited. It has 100k miles on it. It has been garage kept for most of its life and as such looks almost brand new. So my review is based on driving a 13 year old car for the first time and admiring it as it is rather than complaining about how expensive the dealership repairs are (obviously people, should that be a surprise to you?). First off, I was amazed at the smoothness of the ride. Road noise is like nothing at all and going 20mph is the same as 75mph (easy to speed!). Gas mileage is very good. I am sitting at 3/4 of a tank right now and have already put 125 miles or so on the odometer. That means I can put 400+ miles in a tank easy (with the A/C on). A/C is great and starts to work in about 3 seconds which is very fast. There is a big problem with idling in this car. If you sit at a light the engine does funny things and the air screws up. However, I read in the manual to put the car in park if you are stopped for more than the span of a single light. The speakers are really great, but the radio/casette digital display is totally useless. It has blacked out and I have to rub it really hard with my finger to get it to show anything and then it just goes back to black. As for the drive/drive train, the car does not like to be in 2nd and 3rd gear. This problem sort of combos with the pedal which is hard to depress and if you depress it too hard the car bucks really hard and a flashing light appears for a second on the dash. This means going through stoplights repeatedly is really difficult but overall, the performance is quick, responsive and too be honest, smart. I think the car is programmed to know not to respond to the driver smashing on the pedals. With just a quick increase in pressure on either the gas or brake pedal the car exponentially begins to do its thing (w/o you having to slam on anything). The transmission is manual with the fake 4-speed thing at the bottom. Have had no problems with that at all. The leather seats in the car, switch controlled headrests, the sunroof, have all been nice luxurious compliments to a car that already seems very well made and well cared for. Two last things: I was in the market to buy a 2-year old car probably a VW Jetta. I test drove two of them. This Mercedes drives similarly well and especially regarding the great acceleration and the wonderful handling and sleek interior. Lastly, my wife's parents have a 2006 BMW 350 or something like that. This car is very similar on the inside and they both handle well. So when all is said and done the fact that this car, when cared for well, can hold up to a new Jetta or a new BMW is amazing!! BIG TIP: find a local mechanic who can get Mercedez parts; don't go to the dealership and complain if you can't afford it (I can't!!)
    Visitor, Nanuet, NY, August 15, 2010 22:21
    This is a great car overall. But look out for high repair cost at the dealership. Most common problem with this car: Transmission. Other that this - normal maintenance will be required. However, this car will cost much more than say a Toyota or Honda ....if you take it to a dealer. If you can do the work yourself then it is worth more that any car on the road. I have 200K miles and can get another 50K with no problem. Not to many cars on the road can make this claim, unless you spend an arm&leg at the dealership.
    BenzDriver, Overland Park, KS, August 04, 2010 21:07
    Bought this classic two weeks ago. Everything works great! Good body, good interior, with 166k miles. Two full service agreements (oil change etc), and 6 month warranty. Looking forward to this ride for several years. Where can I get an owner's manual. Wanting to learn how to operate everything!
    Mazeuli65, Winter Park, FL, May 31, 2010 11:02
    I've had this car for 7yrs and it has 166K miles and it is the best car I've ever owned. It does have costly repairs but I dont have a car payment so it can be justified. It still rides real nice and looks good, never mind great gas mileage.
  • 2000 Mercedes-Benz C230
    Visitor, Derry, NH, April 14, 2010 12:02
    Body, exterior is very poor because of major rust on the doors and throughout the exterior.
    JAMES STRAND, Selden, NY, April 02, 2010 15:42
    Simply amazing. Bought it eleven years old with less than sixty thousand and drives just beautifully.
    Visitor, Newport Beach, CA, March 29, 2010 23:38
    Just purchase 1999 Mercedes-Benz c230 Kompresser. Love it. Handles great!!! Engine quite and runs smooth.. With the 2.3 L engine + Kompresser with the 185 horse power and super charger-it has plenty of zip. Great gas mileage for commuting to and from office or appointments. Still has that great shine and nice wheels. Comfortable interior. First time I ever bought a 10 year old car. And I was pleasantly surprise on its relaibility, handling and comfort in the leather seats.
    Visitor, Mcdonough, GA, March 25, 2010 07:38
    I've had my car for about a year now and I love it. Unfortunatly my front head light went out to many times to count for some reason when I first got it. It was inexpensive to replace but inconvenient to keep driving to the dealer. Overall I'm happy with the vehicle its a smooth drive. Currently my check engine light is on need to find out if its just a gas cap loose problem or not Service B scheduled soon.
    famousr, Reno, NV, February 25, 2010 08:44
    I have the C230 with the sport package 7 speed automatic transmission with a v6 24 valve. I previously owned a 1994 Corvette. What a contrast. I find the C230 a sweet running car with sports car handling. Brakes stop on a dime and the mileage is 26 to 30 mpg. Talk about quiet, the stereo is fantastic and at low volume, I could hear any note. Very smooth ride with some road feel. All the other amenities work like a top luxury car. Although I do not have the brute power of the Vette, the power is very satisfactory for all driving situations. Great cost for a smaller luxury car. bill reno, nv
    Justin Hewson, Williamston, MI, September 08, 2009 10:55
    I bought my c230 after driving a sporty Acura RSX type-S for a couple of years. The comfort was the first thing that I noticed. The seats are accommodating and the electronic seat adjustment for both driver and passenger is a great addition. The ride is smooth for such a sporty car, and the transmission shifts with little hesitation. Smooth is what I have to say about the driving experience. If you can drive a manual properly, you will love this gearbox. Sadly, the air is a bit touchy. not enough in back and the hot and cold dials are rarely accurate. If you want it warm you get it hot, if you want it cool you get it cold. A/C is amazing though, and the air flow is overall very nice. The exterior has been kept clean, and is very sleek. The engine is quick, but with an average of 30 MPG, mostly city driving, I spend a lot less on fuel. Overall my experience has been great.
    Panetier, Oakland, CA, March 17, 2009 20:47
    This is a fun and zippy little care that's given a bit of extra scoot from its supercharger. Nothing special about the interior. It's austere and good enough...just not special. Decent mileage averaging 25-26 and seeing an occasional 27+, but any thought of engaging the supercharger kills the mileage. The car has performed very well year-after-year, and I just passed through 162K miles and it's going strong! No major repairs...just the usual soft goods wearing out. It's been a good and trusty ride!
  • 2000 Mercedes-Benz C230
    funfraser, Miami, FL, March 07, 2009 14:45
    I have owned my 2000 C230Kompressor since new and generally have been pleased with its performance. It has seen mostly highway driving and been to Florida from Canada 4 times. Only problems have been to replace head gasket (covered by warranty near end), replace air mixture module (emissions) and recently a transmission fluid leak. Current mileage 185,000km or 111,000miles.
    Malcolm, Centerport, NY, February 25, 2009 12:26
    I purchased my 2005 C230 new in sept.04 I've never had any problems with the car ever...only recently I have had the check engine light on, but car runs beatiful. Called dealer and they told me if its not flashing not to worry, it may go out on its own, or they will check it on my next service. the only other problem also recently was transmission fluid leak, dealer replcaed a conductor plug, and added fluid.