Mercedes-Benz 300SL Reviews

Mercedes-Benz 300SL Reviews and Owner Comments

I bought my 1992 300SL 5 months ago,May of 2016.and from the start while driving the car from CA to WA it had rough start problems.The brakes were spongy and even after having the master cylinder replaced and the entire brake system checked twice the brakes are still spongy.The factory radio failed long ago and I replaced it with an aftermarket unit.But the most chronic problem of all is high speed stalling.On the freeway,uphill,downhill,all of a sudden the motor stalls and is not easy to restart.It happened again just today,Nov 06-2016,in a most dangerous situation.We were driving down a steep grade and suddenly the car stalled when I let up on the gas pedal.The car would not start and we were now going down a very steep grade without power brakes or power at all.We were lucky I found a turn-out to stop and even then it was very nearly impossible because the brakes are very difficult to use without the motor on.This condition is now scaring me and my lady friend now refuses to ride in the car.Can anybody help me with this serious problem?The car has 174K miles and is still a very clean car.Could this be an ignition problem?Thank you for reading my review.
air conditioner not cold blowing cool
my 1991 300 sl was experiencing symptoms of running fine when cold, and breaking up and stalling when engine got warm. changed crank sensor, no fix, still getting stuck on many occasions. car wold only start when it cooled off. thought it had to do with some kind of temperature sensor..changed fuel filter, and the problem went away. driven hundreds of miles trouble free now..car often sits for few weeks at a time, especially in winter. love this car..two tone black, silver body color..looks awesome, also has adaptive damping option, which I'm told is rare for a six cylinder..a keeper!!

My 1991 SL mercedes is a beautiful car. When it sits for a long period, once driven, it cuts off. The car will start after sitting a couple of hours. Restart car and drives fine.
Nice car but does have a number of issues after 20+ years. There is a wealth of information and help on the MB forums. The bad "green" wires came in 1994 for a few years. And, EZL's do NOT explode. (Where does this stuff come from?)
the best car I ever had
1) the electrical wire issue. Basically this makes the car a rolling wreck with it only a matter of time before they short out and your entire computer system and or EZL explodes...anyone out there care to guess how much that would cost (an EZL for this particular car is extremely expensive) I was told that the insullation was designed to be GREEN and biodegrade...which is why it falls apart...I really think Mercedes owes anyone still owning/driving some sort of help on this
Most reliable, affordable (used car) I have ever owned. And i have had many! Maintenance is cheaper than my mini van, if you go to the right place. I go to Collie Autoworks in San Rafael Ca. Darren and Denise are the ABSOLUTE BEST. I LOVE this CAR !!!
Great Car! Maintenance not cheap, but not bad for such an expensive car. fun fun fun