Mercedes-Benz 300SL Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your Mercedes-Benz 300SL
- Hard/Soft Tops May Develop Problems Due to Age
- Bad Switch/Blower Motor Resistor Assembly May Cause Inoperative Heater Blower Motor
- Repair Leaks From Head Gasket/Timing Cover Gasket Before Oil and Coolant Intermix
- High Usage Vehicles May Experience Ignition Lock and Tumbler Failures
- Insulation Degrades on Engine Wiring Harness and Leaves Conductors Exposed
- I have problems with the instrument cluster.
- my radio factory equipped no longer plays in radio mode only static
- My highbeams work when lever is pulled towards you but not when pushed down?
- why car only goes into reverse when engine is cold
- I've changed the tranmission filter and fluid and car still won't move
Mercedes-Benz 300SL Problems
As vehicles age, various problems may develop with the hard and soft tops. If problems are encountered, it would be recommended to have a technician familiar with these tops perform the diagnoses.
Other than a defective motor, a bad switch or blower motor resistor assembly can cause an inoperative heater blower motor.
Internal and External engine oil & coolant leaks can develop from the head gasket and/or timing cover gasket; these leaks should be repaired before the engine oil and coolant intermix which can result in severe engine damage.
Mercedes-Benz 300SL Questions
seems to not get antenna anymore ..any ideas
Mercedes-Benz 300SL Reviews
1) the electrical wire issue. Basically this makes the car a rolling wreck with it only a matter of time before they short out and your entire computer system and or EZL explodes...anyone out there care to guess how much that would cost (an EZL for this particular car is extremely expensive) I was told that the insullation was designed to be GREEN and biodegrade...which is why it falls apart......
my 1991 300 sl was experiencing symptoms of running fine when cold, and breaking up and stalling when engine got warm. changed crank sensor, no fix, still getting stuck on many occasions. car wold only start when it cooled off. thought it had to do with some kind of temperature sensor..changed fuel filter, and the problem went away. driven hundreds of miles trouble free now..car often sits for ...
Nice car but does have a number of issues after 20+ years. There is a wealth of information and help on the MB forums. The bad "green" wires came in 1994 for a few years. And, EZL's do NOT explode. (Where does this stuff come from?)