Reviews for Mazda Mazda6 years:

Mazda Mazda6 Reviews and Owner Comments

Mazda Mazda6Owner Reviews (40 reviews)
  • 2013 Mazda Mazda6
    Visitor, Oakville, CT, February 18, 2013 13:22
    Bought a '13 6 Sport to replace a 17-year-old Saturn that was rarely in the shop, but it was time. The second day I had the car, ABS and Traction Control lights on dash stayed on for short periods of time. At first oil change, service advisor said problem was left front sensor. It was changed. Six hours later, lights came on again. Problem gradually worsened to where they were on 90% of the time. This time advisor says left front wheel bearing must be replaced, incl sensor. Can anybody say "lemon?" Run, do not walk, away from this model!
    Visitor, Potomac, MD, February 18, 2013 08:44
    I have truly enjoyed owning my 2006 Mazda6i Hatchback. I've been able to move a lot of things in this car including a 6 foot metal storage rack fully assembled with the hatchback closed. It does have pretty amazing space for a car. With that said, I am highly ticked off regarding all of the repairs I've had to have done since I drove it brand new off the lot in 2006. I dropped it off this morning at the dealership because I was having problems with my headlights and turn signals. So besides having to spend over $500 to replace a headlight (seriously?!), I also have to have the body control module replaced yet again. Yes, you heard me right ... AGAIN. I just had it replaced on 9/13/11 because the locks and turn signals weren't working. I am so upset. This will be the last Mazda I own.
    Visitor, Escondido, CA, December 20, 2012 08:26
    The worst car I have ever had and heard of. I have had to put 17K to keep it on the road and payed 18K when I bought it.
  • 2007 Mazda Mazda6
    Visitor, Lake Stevens, WA, November 13, 2012 14:33
    my car is having the same problem, no blinkers, key remote wont work, dome light does not work. the mazda dealer said it is the BMI part, cost about 600-700 Dollars to fix. the part has gone out because it got wet. well guess what I live in Washington State and it rains all the time here. Car had less than 60,000 miles when it started to go out.
    Visitor, Flossmoor, IL, October 29, 2012 14:46
    Just dropped $700 on installation of new body control module. Turn signal froze on, auto locks did not work, security horn would go on for no reason. Dealer said grommet was out (which mechanic said must be pulled out, won't just come out on its own) & water leaked in & shorted bcm out. However, no one was in dashboard to pull out grommet. Non-dealer mechanic did research to find that others have had the same problem & issue is leak from windshield area (i.e., design defect).
    Visitor, Cullman, AL, October 22, 2012 21:21
    I fell in love with my Mazda 6 as soon as I saw it. I bought it used with 93,000 miles. I bought a warranty from the dealer. It was a First Automotive Service Corporation, 100,000. I was gentle and kept maintenance, oil changes as i was told to do. I was told it would cover internal engine, transmission . I am in total despair now. The catalytic converter went out no warning at 120,000, blew the engine. Bad Mazda converter. The warranty was a fraud and will not cover the engine failure even though it is internal lubricate parts. I now have a beautiful yard ornament that I am paying 209.00 a month for...Yea Mazada
    Visitor, Muskogee, OK, September 20, 2012 14:25
    I bought this car from the dealer with 10k miles on it, since then have put 280,000 miles on it. It must have been a demo because it had only been titled to the dealership. Have done very little other than routine maintenance. Oil changed and fluids checked religiously every 3000-3200 miles (monthly in my case). Have replaced normal wear items, brakes, tires, filters, light bulbs. Had it to the dealer 3 times - repl a power pack (2009), front wheel bearing (2010), & belt tensioner for the water pump (2012). In all this has been a GREAT car, must have been built on a Wednesday or something. Has been very reliable and I put a lot of miles on it. It is starting to look it's age, but who wouldn't. I love my Mazda.
    Visitor, Valrico, FL, September 18, 2012 04:59
    The electrical system on my 2009 Mzda 6 has been an absolute nightmare. When we first purchased the car, the remote key lock wouldn't work at all, and you couldn't lock the doors (even manually). The car was at the dealer for 6 days while they tried to firgure it out -- ultimately they fixed that particular problem. Since then, however, the wireless ignition system has become unreliable -- about half the time it won't work at all, so we have to use the key. The locks aren't working again, and now the accessory ower plugs don't work at all. The dealer, of course, is stumped and now refuses to honor the warranty (we went over the 36,000 mile limit beofre the problems were fixed).
    Visitor, Sneads Ferry, NC, September 12, 2012 05:50
    I have a 2009 mazda 6 as well and I am having the same problem with the car alarm going off. The battery is good and I have tried looking it up online and I havnt had any luck. I called the dealership and they cant tell me anyhting.
    Visitor, North Las Vegas, NV, August 10, 2012 11:38
    I have a 2009 Mazda6 Grand Touring, Besides all the troubles I have had with the brakes, now my car alarm goes off for no good reason. I have taken it to the dealer, they suggested I have the battery checked, a low battery can make the alarm go off. I took it somewhere else and had a new battery installed. The alarm is still going off, does anyone know what my problem may be? Any help would be appreciated.
    Visitor, Alturas, CA, June 24, 2012 08:50
    so far its been a good car they just need to make basic maintence on the car much easier i would like to meet the genuis who decided that you have to take the entire bumper off to replace one of the most common things that go out,a headlight,and also check engine lights that pop on for no reason, if its cold it tends to start up and sputter then it just dies
    Visitor, Harrisburg, PA, March 27, 2012 20:47
    I have a 2005 Mazda 6. I bought it brand new. I love my car, but I have found maintenance can be very expensive on it. I do take it to the dealership for most work. I know that tends to make it cost more, but I feel they do the best work as I have tried other places and I always end up back at Mazda. The staff is honest, friendly, and very willing to help. I love the way it drives and aside from regular maintenance I have had to do very little work on the car. I recommend this car to people all the time, but I always warn them of the cost of repairs. Hope this helps someone make a decision
    tallamom, Tallahassee, FL, March 08, 2012 10:47
    Just paid off my used 2006 Mazda 6. I just recently had to replace all 4 brakes. My headliner is coming down, talked to the Tallahassee dealer and called the 800# for Mazda they said too bad. I didn't have them do my maintenance but took it to other places closer to where I live so they won't do anything about it. Last week, I smelled burning oil after I had my oil changed, now my a/c doesn't work? Headlights are weird, can't see very well in the dark unless the brights are on. Before this car I had a Nissan Quest for over 12 years - most reliable car I have ever had. Would I buy another Mazda - Nope. Wish I had bought a Nissan.
    Visitor, Columbiana, AL, January 13, 2012 08:43
    I HAVE A MAZDA 6 2005 AND I HATE IT. AFTER PURCHASING IT IN JANURARY 2006, FIRST TIME I USED A/C, IT DIDN'T WORK. TOOK IT INTO DEALER. THERE WAS A WHOLE IN A/C HOSE. DEALER EXPECTED US TO PAY FOR IT (OVER $800.00). BIG AGUMENT!! I HAVE HAD MORE BRAKE WORK DONE ON THIS CAR THAN ANY I HAVE EVER OWNED. NOW THE COOLING FAN IS AOUT.....AGAIN AFTER HAVING IT REPLACED 2 TIMES UNDER A RECALL. DEALER TELLS ME THEY WILL NOT PAY FOR IT AGAIN. OBVIOUSLY THEY HAVE NOT FIGURED OUT HOW TO MAKE A DECENT FAN IF IT KEEPS GOING OUT. NEVER, EVER AGIN WILL I HAVE A MAZDA.
    Mali E, Austin, TX, December 11, 2011 07:05
    I have had this car for 6 years, I don’t drive it much but have had some problems with the engine, cartelist converter, brakes and now the lights. You get no reflection when driving at night, it seems like your lights are off but they not. Bad choice of car.
    Visitor, Kailua Kona, HI, September 19, 2011 14:21
    need to replace waterpump on a 2006 mazda 6 but dont know how to remove. how do you take off and replace waterpump 2006 mazda 6
    Visitor, Millersville, MD, September 15, 2011 18:24
    Bought a new 2008 Mazda6 for my daughter. She drove to college and put about 95,000 miles on it when the car just feel apart in March 2011. First transmission needed replacing ($3,000), then about 5,000 miles later the engine went bad ($4,000). Last week with about 12,600 miles since the dealer installed reconditioned transmission was bought from Mazda, the transmission has gone up again and Mazda refused to help because it was beyond their 12,000 mile warranty by 650 miles.. Total Junk!
    Visitor, Overland Park, KS, August 01, 2011 15:57
    Great car. Bought new with 6 miles on it. I now have 129000+ on it. My tensioner belt froze up and caused the a/c to shut down and i kept driving and the heater hose split. I was on a trip out of town also the A/T and TCS Off light and engine light came on. This could have been avoided if i would have had the tensioner and belt replaced at 100,000 miles. 7 years and counting. I would recommend buying brand new. Cost was almost $800. Do you maint and you should be ok
    SlickStang, Utica, NY, April 24, 2011 04:15
    I currently own a 2004 Mazda 6S with the upgraded sport package. V6 engine, 5 spd manual transmission, 17" alloy wheels, front, rear facias with side skirts and rear spoiler. Got the Bose audio system upgrade with the sunroof. Black exterior color with black interior and cloth seats. In short, this car KICKS ASS! I read reports of people having transmission problems or complaining about batteries and brake issues. I have put 106,000 miles on this car and it has been a dream to own (and I am an on the road field sales manager in up state NY) I have had normal maintenance on the car. The Bridgestone tires that the dealer had on the car got burned up pretty quickly with the weight of the car and the speeds I travel. I upgraded the tires to directional tread Potenza high performance tires for my 17" rims and the difference is astounding. Over 50K miles on these tires and they are just starting to get to the point where I think i will need to replace them next year. Snow tires are a must on this car. Blizzak is the best and are the only snows I would ever purchase. I have run snow tires in the winter for the 6 years I have owned the car and am able to travel the posted speed limit while AWD vehicles are either in the ditch or are not able to sustain any speed whatsoever on clear highways with regular tires. At around 25,000 miles I had a wheel bearing go bad in the front driver's side wheel, battery replacement twice (bought 6 year battery this past time), couple of fog lamps, tires and brakes/rotors. The brakes are the only thing that concerns and disappoints me about the car. i go through brakes way to much and I utilize the stick to slow down the car. I don't tailgate and with driving on 55 mph roads 90% of the time, the brakes should last longer. Any thoughts on brake system upgrades would be awesome! I used to own a 1995 Pontiac Grand Am GT and never went through brakes prior to 40K miles on them. Now I go through them in 1/2 that time or less on some. Big problem in my book. Interior is comfortable and spacious for a 189 pnd guy. Performance is off the charts. Leave a lot of the more expensive Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Mitsubishi, import vehicles in the dust. The car looks great and totally recommend auto armor protectant. Biggest selling point is safety. I got rear ended by a F150 when i was at a red light in Syracuse, NY and other than some back soreness my wife and I recovered just fine. Truck hit us doing 40 mph on wet roads and was paying more attention to the girl next to him than what was in front of him. I could even drive the car to the dealer up the road with no squeaks or moans and groans from the car. What upset me with Mazda was the fact that they redesigned the car, gave it a 50 horsepower upgrade and took the manual option for United States versions of the car. Stupid! Bring back the Manual Transmission and i will buy another one! Hands down the best vehicle we have owned. My wife just purchased a 2010 Ford Fusion SEL that was built off of the 2004 Mazda 6 chassis and it rides and performes just like my Mazda. All you Ford haters should sit up and take notice of a great brand in both Mazda and the Ford Motor Company. They don't win awards just by showing up! I expect my cars to perform and my Mazda fits the bill. Great looks, aggressive styling, great horsepower to weight ratio, smooth shifting manual, no worries of reliability and a rocket ship when I want it to be one. Quality 101 in my book. Puts the other "front runners" of import vehicles to shame Monday through Sunday, 365 days a year!
    Visitor, Lakewood, NJ, April 19, 2011 01:59
    Have had my Mazda 6 since 2003 new. Absolutely love this car! Been a wonderful machine and still kicking. It now has 239,000 plus miles on it. Have had to change the starter once, a few brake changes and have replaced the tires twice. Can't really complain about the car as its been doing its job and well worth the money. Will not give up this car for nothing.
    Visitor, Moorpark, CA, March 05, 2011 21:41
    Recently purchased a 2008 Mazda 6i Grand Touring from a private party. Had 40k and I have had for almost two months now. I simply love this car! Great power, gas mileage, comfortable ride. Previous owner had to change brake pads, tires, and rotors only. Bose sound is nice, leather bucket seats are very comfortable. Only con is the car turns like a truck. Turning radius is horrible. U turns are not as easy as they should be in a sporty vehicle such as this one. Otherwise, the car grips the road with my sumitomo z-rated tires. Handles very well. I would recommend this vehicle to someone looking for a reliable, yet inexpensive sporty 4 door.
    Visitor, West Salem, WI, February 22, 2011 06:43
    I have had my Mazda6 since 2007 and I LOVE IT! Handles like a dream. Sure maintenance needs to be done, but that is on all cars. We need a bigger car(family getting bigger) but we are keeping our little 'zoom zoom' .
    dbruce6, Stamford, CT, February 17, 2011 18:23
    Bought an 06 V6 6s in 09 with 38k on the clock. The car now has 75k. In summary, been a reliable and good 4 door car that has never let me down. Reliability is a step down from Toyota and Honda, but especially on the used market, an amazing deal for what you receive. Good Point on the V6 version: Engine is smooth and likes to rev. Manual tranny is good, but the 4 cylinder version is better (we have a Mazda5 manual also with that drivetrain). Interior is well laid out and ergonomics are excellent, but hard plastics abound. Auto Climate control works well and worth the upgrade. Front and side airbags including rear side. More places to store things than any car I've owned. Bose stereo is decent, but hard to upgrade. The Bad. V6 is torqueless until 3500 RPM. You really need to rev the snot out of it for real acceleration. Interior is snap tight cheap. Spent a few months tracking down a noise in the A arm airbag for a few months. Front rotors warp, annoying. Since I use this mainly for long distances, it fits the bill. Items on the 6 to look out for is the PCV valve mentioned and also the pre-cats can disintegrate and get sucked back into the engine on 05 and earlier V6 models. New engine required and really nothing you can do to avoid.
    sidna, Grover Beach, CA, February 07, 2011 13:29
    everytime somthing goes wrong with this car I TAKE IT TO DEALER same old thing its fine or that just the way the car is I THINK its the ford parts and slimmy dealership.
    Visitor, Macomb, IL, January 06, 2011 19:27
    Transmission is also junk as well...the other major Ford part on this car along with the engine.
    Rose Parr, York Springs, PA, November 29, 2010 17:01
    Just had the actuator replaced and there is a valve ping when accelerate till certain speed, let of and speed up it pings..What is this.timing chain? Should they have known this when fixed acuator?
    slimlisa, Hinesville, GA, October 09, 2010 15:49
    Great car!
    Visitor, Wyoming, MI, October 08, 2010 21:06
    I have a 2004 6s manual transmission with the 3L 6cyl. I love this car for it's handling and speed though I had a major issue with the pcv valve going bad and sucking the engine oil out causing me to get a partial, though still very expensive rebuild. CHANGE YOUR PCV VALVE IF YOU OWN THIS CAR. I've only had to do brake work and change a coil, both inexpensive when done yourself. I'd still recommend a 6, as long as you watch the pcv issue.
    Visitor, Elmwood Park, NJ, August 02, 2010 15:21
    I've had this car for 6years and during this time have had to travel a lot from New York to north Connecticut (3hr drives) almost every weekend, hence the 143K miles on it. In terms of services, I've had to replace tires faster than I've wanted to (the miles/tire replacements go hand in hand though) and brake pads, once had a cracked shock under left tire due to going too fast on a sharp curve during icy rain and hit a curb. Besides that have never had other major jobs like transmissions, engine problems, etc... When I get oil changes at zap lube they try to always make me get an engine flush but i hear it's not great for cars so I did it once and haven't done it in about 3years.
    Visitor, Poughkeepsie, NY, July 31, 2010 01:30
    After my car hit past around 80k miles I've had a lot more problems. I have had to change the brakes about 2 times since I bought the car+ the rotors. A couple recalls at the beginning because it was a new model, the transmission program had to be updated, fan was alwasy on. I had one engine problem where after it rained the engine would start sputtering while driving and it would go away after it dried out (was a ignition coil problem). I recently have had the air intake valve needed replacing from the check engine light going on and the car just stopping. I've had to replace the headlights a few times from burn out and the tires seem to bald faster than usual and they are expensive to replace. I still like this car but I seem to be having a lot more engine problems now and it's beginning to get annoying. I would expect it to at least last decent until 100k miles and I might buy another mazda. btw don't go to a deal for a engine code check, my local mechanic reads it for free not $100.
    Visitor, Alexandria, VA, June 26, 2010 16:01
    thought I was buying a decent car. thought wrong. transmission problems are endemic, regular visits to the shop have done nothing to resovle the problem. It's either a lemon or representative or poor manufacturing and design.
  • 2007 Mazda Mazda6
    Visitor, Jamestown, RI, May 22, 2010 15:12
    Bought new 2007 - no issues - I have 123,000 miles on it. Replaced 4 tires, x 2, brakes front and rear x 1. Great car. Bought a second Mazda end of 09 - 2010 3.
    Visitor, Nampa, ID, March 31, 2010 13:46
    Bought this car new for my daughter in January 2003. Currently has 67,000 miles. Other than a half a dozen recalls (new model) the car has been very reliable. Pluses: The V-6 engine gets about 20 MPG in town and as much as 29 on trips. Handling, ride and acceleration are superb. Interior has held up well and is easy to clean. Car is very versatile with 60/40 folding rear seat and large trunk. Very good safety features for a 2003 model. Minuses: Have had to replace engine battery every three years and brake pads every 30K; primarily routine maintenance is all that has been required. Abrupt shifting between 1st and 2nd gear develop around 50K--required transmission software update to fix. Oil pan leak was repaired during 60,000-mile service. Center console LEDs have been erratic (also affected by the cold). Overall, a very good car with many more years of service planned.
    Visitor, Mobile, AL, March 29, 2010 07:09
    Bought used 2006 Mazda 6 with a 6spd auto/slapstick. drove great on test drive. checked car fax and all ok. took it on highway for first time 4 days later and slips out of 6th gear back into neautral. This is an auto. after that, it keeps slipping in/out of 4th, 5th, and 6th until engine cools down for several hours. Dealer said too bad (3 weeks out of warranty). I'm trying to trade it in now since I don't want to pay for a new tranny. Too bad. It's a nice ride.
    DAW, Colorado Springs, CO, November 20, 2009 15:10
    2005 Mazda 6 Sport Wagon. Overall pleased with the car. It's fits my skis on the inside and it's fun to drive. 1. However, Check engine light shows trouble code P0455 (Evap Emmission Control Leak - Large). Takes 7-8 seconds of cranking to start the car after removing fuel filler cap (after a fill-up). After that it starts fine. Not sure if this is a gas cap problem, purge valve or what. Dealer wants about $100 to diagnose/pull codes. Anyone know what this is? 2. The 6-speed auto transmission often down-shifts too sharply (jolts/clunks) when downshifting into 4th gear. Dealer checked this out earlier but couldn't find anything wrong. ...Wish I could solve these two problems--I'd be a happy camper.
    plandiego, San Diego, CA, July 31, 2009 05:36
    2004 Mazda6 4cyl, automatic - 80,000 - Best handling front-wheel drive I've ever experienced. Not super fast, but fast enough. Interior materials could be better. I'm not in love with the cloth material on the seats, hard to keep clean and a little scratchy compared to Accords and Camry I owned. Ergonomics are excellent. Radio contols in steering wheel are wonderful surprise at this price. Huge inside, huge trunk, really something for its size (about 85-90% the size of Accord/Camry/Altima...) but a LOT more fun to drive. Feels VERY light and agile, steering response and road feel is excellent - a real driver's car. Yet quiet enough and smooth enough for long trips. Engine has weak low end torque, but at 160 hp it's fine for what it is. Mileage is, however, not outstanding for a 4 cyl(24-26). Nothing has broken, nothing has gone wrong. This base model has ABS, and dynamic stability control and side air bags. A VERY safe car. Dual exhausts and overall design is very attractive, sexy, sporty. Mine is "Lapis Blue" which is one of the most beautiful dark blues on the road. Reading lamps, leather steering wheel and shifter, courtesy lights, overhead console, and clever cup holders are nice touches. I own a Mustang GT and a 7-Series BMW, and I gladly drive this car, not as a step down at all. It is a beautiful family car. The right size Now they're big like everybody else. :o( The 2003-2008 Mazda6/Atenza was a "world car" sold in USA, Asia and Europe. It won 200 awards. It feels just right, a real surprise. Not an "appliance" like Accord/Camry/Altima/Malibu/Taurus. I highly recommend this car.
    russdonovan, Lexington, KY, July 20, 2009 11:30
    this car is a piece of crap... bought it new in 03 and have already spent 4x as much in repairs than my 98 altima. im at 85000 miles and have already replaced the brakes, the alternator, and the battery, i have gone through 3 sets of tires, and have had problems with the intake manifold hoses and oil system. I will never buy anything associated with ford/mazda again... nothing but trouble! p.s. my altima is now at 110000 miles and other than the alternator the only money i have put into it has been regular maintenance.
    mariaho18, San Antonio, TX, May 22, 2009 10:06
    I haven't had any problems with my 2008 Mazda 6 i Sport except the prices on recommended maintenance and the brakes are wearing out a little fast. I love driving it and it gets great gas milage being a 4 cylinder. I think it's a really cute, safe car and a great buy.
    AngelaW411, Akron, OH, April 26, 2009 15:59
    I loved my Mazda and had no issues--until, you can probably guess-the warranty went out on it this past August (08). Now I am having A LOT of check engine light issues (but the dealer cannot find anything wront when I bring it in). Every time, the code is something different--but all emissions related. They claim they are weather-related issues, but I am on my 3rd purge valve solenoid...and it is not running as smooth. Is anyone else having emission warning light issues as well? I only have 50,000 miles on it too! I am very frustrated with it now...
    SlackJacket, Alpharetta, GA, March 23, 2009 09:34
    I've had my Mazda6 for 5 years, replacing a succession of Hondas and Acuras. I've found the car to be quite reliable, but with a few minor annoyances: squeaks from the dash, throttle-lag, and brakes that don't seem to last as long as they should.