Manual transmission fluid provides lubrication and acts as a coolant for the transmission. Gear oil is the most commonly used fluid, though some manual transmissions use regular engine oil or automatic transmission fluid.
Symptoms of Wear or Failure
- Fluid will become dark and gritty
- Abnormal noise
Related Repair Advice
- Over time, the manual transmission fluid breaks down and becomes contaminated with moisture, which can lead to transmission damage from a lack of proper lubrication. Replace at the mileage/time interval recommended by the vehicle manufacturer.
- We advise changing the transmission fluid when any significant repair work is being performed on the transmission
- Noise from the transmission most often will not be resolved by a fluid change. Noise and/or incorrect operation of the transmission is normally a sign of a deeper mechanical problem.
- High-quality synthetic transmission fluid may help extend the life of transmission components
- Use of the improper transmission fluid can result in shifting difficulties and premature transmission failure