Q:

Looks like the timing chain cover is leaking anti-freeze. Is this a DIY problem? on 1999 Chevrolet Lumina

Rookie cbe0621eac06868b3efe0d8d1d3611e23c60d3114864ea2ec19a68cfbd3eebab
Engine has 143K miles on it. I'm the third owner. Leak is at bottom left of the front of engine, close to firewall on passenger side. If this isn't a DIY problem, how many hours should I expect a competent garage to take to fix it?
(2) Answers
(5) Comments
Just a word of caution, make sure that is your leak instead of the water pump that will leak onto the belt and travel.... might be worth another look,...just a thought..
Yeah, thanks pushrod. We checked that out pretty good. Under a pressure test there was a pretty good stream coming out the bottom of the front engine cover. No indication of a leak anywhere around the water pump itself.
Ok, that's cool. It's just not a common problem on this engine. Water pump and intake leaks are! I have been fooled by leaks but if you can it streaming out then that pretty much explains it! Try snugging the bolts up a little more, can't hurt!
yes, I tightening up the bolts to the specifications. It looks like stopped leaking, but recently now I see a small trace of coolant. should I try snugging the bolts up a little more?
| |
its a 5.5 hr job but for you maybe 7. might want to have it done and replace timing components at the same time
Thanks Greg, I'm watching a DIY of the job on U-Tube & I agree with your assessment. With a well-stocked/organized garage I might attempt it, but since I'm lacking that at the moment I guess I'll have my normal auto mechanic do the job.
Qualified Local Chevrolet Shops