Chevrolet Q&A

1999 Chevrolet Lumina Question: Looks like the timing chain cover is leaking anti-freeze. Is this a DIY problem?

gbsbyron, 3.1L V6, Muncy, PA, April 25, 2014, 05:48

Engine has 143K miles on it. I'm the third owner. Leak is at bottom left of the front of engine, close to firewall on passenger side. If this isn't a DIY problem, how many hours should I expect a competent garage to take to fix it?

Greg's Orange Auto (13428 Answers) , Orange, CA - (714) 361-9386
    globalhelper April 25, 2014, 06:19

its a 5.5 hr job but for you maybe 7. might want to have it done and replace timing components at the same time

gbsbyron, April 25, 2014, 06:29

Thanks Greg, I'm watching a DIY of the job on U-Tube & I agree with your assessment. With a well-stocked/organized garage I might attempt it, but since I'm lacking that at the moment I guess I'll have my normal auto mechanic do the job.

pushrod April 25, 2014, 07:29

Just a word of caution, make sure that is your leak instead of the water pump that will leak onto the belt and travel.... might be worth another look,...just a thought..

gbsbyron, April 25, 2014, 07:34

Yeah, thanks pushrod. We checked that out pretty good. Under a pressure test there was a pretty good stream coming out the bottom of the front engine cover. No indication of a leak anywhere around the water pump itself.

pushrod, April 25, 2014, 07:43

Ok, that's cool. It's just not a common problem on this engine. Water pump and intake leaks are! I have been fooled by leaks but if you can it streaming out then that pretty much explains it! Try snugging the bolts up a little more, can't hurt!

carzen, May 12, 2014, 16:42

yes, I tightening up the bolts to the specifications. It looks like stopped leaking, but recently now I see a small trace of coolant. should I try snugging the bolts up a little more?

pushrod, May 12, 2014, 19:59

Yep, just dont ring them off...... plus a can of Bars leak wont hurt a thing here!