Locked up WCM may cause engine cranking problems on Chrysler Sebring

If the engine does not crank (or cranks but won't start), the wireless control module (WCM) may have locked up. This is due to static discharge through the ignition key. A revised model should be installed, but simply disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery for thirty seconds will temporarily reset the module so you can start the car.

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 100,144 (38,000–180,000)
5 model years affected: 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, more2010
22 people reported this problem
12 people shared problem details
2007 Chrysler Sebring117,000
At 117K miles I went to get in my 2007 Sebring,and it would not start. I tried several times. At first it started to crank, then nothing. Finally it wouldn't even turn over. I tried jumping the battery, and nothing. I had it towed to my own mechanic and the car started right up for him each time he tried it. He didn't see any problems, said maybe the ignition. It started every day for another two weeks after that. Then the third week, it started having problems gain. I thought maybe it was the ignition, I would jiggle the key a few times and it would start. After a couple days of that, it stopped turning on altogether. I had it towed to the dealership this time, and they told me it was the WCM. It had just stopped working. $275.00 for the part, $450.00 for labor and $200.00 for each key, because I had to get a new key when they replaced the WCM. This part should be recalled.
Car wouldn't start and key fobs would not unlock the doors. All other power worked (radio, lights etc). Had it towed to dealer. They reset it by pulling fuse and reseting computer. Part on back order so waiting for it to be replaced. Glad I had an extended warranty!!
2007 Chrysler Sebring180,000
Took it to Mikes,he had it running in about 30 minutes..when I asked him how to prevent this from happening again, he laughted and told me to trade the car for a yellow dog.then put a lemon in its mouth and shoot the dog dead....I got rid of the car
I am on taking a trip with my grandchildren. I was at a gas station and the car would not crank. I think it's the even I am stuck what should I do. I am divorced so no-one is there to help me.
Car will intermittently not crank, not start for no apparent reason. It has never occurred first thing in the morning, but at any time once it has been running and is turned off, and then trying to start it again. Thought it was the heat, until it happened on a colder day. Thought it was the battery, installed new battery........old battery tested out fine on load test. Stopped by Chrysler dealership and inquired about it and they suggested it "could" be the W C M . Am waiting for it to happen again so I can disconnect the negative battery cable to see IF that re sets the WCM. Then, I may go replace the WCM at a cost of around $250.00 including tax and labor and part.
2007 Chrysler seabring it cranks but won't start up it does this only after driving the car... If the car has been sitting for several hours or overnight it starts no problems but if I drive it more than 15 miles turn it off and try and crank it again it doesn't start. Sometimes it takes 5 or 6 tries to get it to crank
Car won't start only clicks when you turn the key in the ignition. Now my front windows won't roll up. Need help on how to fix it.
Stopped to get gas..wouldnt fire up..got towed . Garage said it needed to be jumped and started right up everytime afterwards. .
interior lights flickering when trying to start and wouldn't start ... disconnected positive terminal to battery first then the negative and when taking it off while wiggling it a tad to get it off the interior lights flickered...
2008 Chrysler Sebring135,113
I tried to start it 3times n killed all 3 times n I tired it again n it didn't do anything
2007 Chrysler Sebring130,000
Put a new alternator in went to start my car wouldnt start, reset battery car started cut it off didnt srart back up, got it to auto parts store they tested my battery and my alternator both wer fine, called the dealership and explain to them what was going on with my car, anti theft system need to be reprogrammed calling the dealership back to see what the price would be.has to do with the WCM wiireless control module
my car will one minute and the next just clicking noise and then after like 6 times trying it will start
car can not be taken out of park. Is the gear shift module/shifter assembly covered under the p...
in the earlier 2.7 liter engines when the water pump would leak it would end up in the engines...
Because of this problem I have replaced the compressor three times but the problem noise will n...
Engine will Stall it will restart sometimes and idle rough and will diesel out & die no power...