Locked up WCM May Cause Engine Cranking Problems on Dodge Ram 1500

If the engine does not crank (or cranks but won't start), the wireless control module (WCM) may have locked up. This is due to static discharge through the ignition key. A revised model should be installed, but simply disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery for thirty seconds will temporarily reset the module so you can start the car.

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 99,715 (15,000–276,025)
9 model years affected: 1997, 2003, 2004, 2005, more2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
41 people reported this problem
22 people shared problem details
2003 Dodge Ram 1500104,000
Ran fine yesterday with no engine light on, tried to start and leave the next day with nothing . It will turn over and act like it wants to start but doesnt
2008 Dodge Ram 1500120,280
eng. wont crank I can jump starter and it cranks but wont start have disconnected neg. batt and checked all fuzes I can find (under hood)
2004 Dodge Ram 1500154,000
Truck was running fine,pulled in my drive turned it off,decided to move it but it won't fire? Turns over,good battery connection but won't start? Im a single mom in need lol,i need to fix it myself...help please :)
2010 Dodge Ram 150071,148
I have a 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 truck and I'm having issues with it not cranking over. Have it with the mechanic waiting on an answer on what the problem is.
2003 Dodge Ram 1500174,200
My 2003 dodge ram 1500 wont crank up .it will turn over but it just wont start. The driver door key hole was striped out by a previous owner..what do i do? A diagnostic tester showed the code for the factory alarm..what does that mean
un hooked battery and pulled the pcm fuse for about thirty seconds
2006 Dodge Ram 1500115,000
Turn the key, all lights, gauges, radio work, get a click, but no engine turn over. After trying many times, it will eventually turn over and start. Has been happening off and on for a few years.
this is known problem ,you must use the spare chiped key, alternate use, the chip loses memory. dodge does not know why this is happenning.
Where is the wcm located in the 1997 dodge ram 1500
2006 Dodge Ram 150040,000
Stopped at the Post Office. Got back in and turned the key....nothing. Radio and lights worked. Came home and read this thread, went back and disconnected the negative battery terminal. Waited a minute and hooked it back up, turned the key and Wahoo! It started up again. Thanks so much for the solution here!! :)
2008 Dodge Ram 150016,000
Same problem here! It's happened three times so far latest one yesterday 3/1/2011. After owning 4 Dodge trucks and our local Dodge dealer closing down this is the last one I'll ever own. Closest dealer is 122 miles away, truck went for repairs to this dealer last week for a different problem; coil igniter failed causing missfire to cylinder# 6, messed up two spark plugs, had to go get it at my own expense. Sorry Dodge!
2008 Dodge Ram 150079,000
Had truck towed to dealership because it would not start. Spent $306 for WCM and $337 on labor. Picked up truck and immediately the tire pressure light was on. Thought I needed air in the tires, all four tires had the proper pressure. Called Dodge to report the problem the next day and left messages with the service rep who did not return my called. Called back to get the service manager's name, called him and left a message and again, my called was not returned. Called and asked for the service manager's manager who I was immediately transferred to. Now have to return the vehicle to see why the tire pressure light is on. Probably more out of pocket expense. REALLY?
2006 Dodge Ram 150093,000
Symptoms: Everything works except door locks and ignition does nothing when turned. Doesn't even click. No symptoms prior to it failing. Have had truck since 70k and never had this problem. Fix: Pulled ground cable off battery for a couple minutes to reset. Just for good measure I also pulled and checked the door lock fuse & the ignition fuse. They were both good. Reconnected the negative and it started right up.
2009 Dodge Ram 150095,010
Truck will crank, but not start. Checked compression, timing, cam, fuel pump, etc. All seem fine. Scanner pulls no codes. Fuses all have power, but fuse box is dirty. Cleaned out, but did not work. Tried reset. Did not work. At a complete loss of what to do. Could it be the ecm?
1997 Dodge Ram 150015,000
my truck crank but wont start i gave it a full tune up new crank s still wont start it got good spark fuel pump seem to come on but wont start
2006 Dodge Ram 1500276,025
I've trued every thing that has been said and still nothing. The only other thing diffrent my door look won't in lock with using the key or I have to do manually no electronic. Can some one help
2007 Dodge Ram 150066,500
4-22-15: Wife stopped for gas and truck would not turn over. Lights stayed bright and no relay clicks when she turned the key. Volt meter stayed in the normal range. She jiggled the shifter in park and neutral and no luck.It finally cranked after about an hour of trying. Has been working fine for the last two days, but she doesn't trust it anymore.
This is wrong sta te for us. Please remove us from your email list. Think it's all from Google ada. So sorry
Just spent 1,200 dollars for fuel pump and new timing chain gasket and seals. Had one day now truck will not start, no crank lights on dash but will not crank. Happened on and off for the 9 years i have had truck ! Always started after a while. Not looking good now. Looks like tow back to dealership again. Might be my last dodge. Very disappointed!
2007 Dodge Ram 150018,000
Had been told this but it says that static elect. will make car key lose its memory, so start with what....UHH!! the key
I had the brake pedal go to the floor with my grand kids in the truck with me. I replaced the...
I have a engine wiring problem with my 1994 Dodge Ram 1500; When I drive in forward gear the en...
If the engine cranks but does not start, or starts and stalls, the fuses should be inspected,...
between 40mph and 55mph there's a vibration like a wheel is out of balance when the o/d is on b...