Dodge
Ram 1500

Locked up WCM May Cause Engine Cranking Problems on Dodge Ram 1500

Problem Description and Possible Solution

If the engine does not crank (or cranks but won't start), the wireless control module (WCM) may have locked up. This is due to static discharge through the ignition key. A revised model should be installed, but simply disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery for thirty seconds will temporarily reset the module so you can start the car.

Problem Data
RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 104,229 (11,300–276,025)
10 model years affected: 1997, 1998, 2003, 2004, more2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
68 people reported this problem
Comments
Viewing 1 - 20 of 29 comments
Truck was running fine,pulled in my drive turned it off,decided to move it but it won't fire? Turns over,good battery connection but won't start?
Im a single mom in need lol,i need to fix it myself...help please :)
Truck will crank, but not start. Checked compression, timing, cam, fuel pump, etc. All seem fine. Scanner pulls no codes. Fuses all have power, but fuse box is dirty. Cleaned out, but did not work. Tried reset. Did not work. At a complete loss of what to do. Could it be the ecm?
Turn the key, all lights, gauges, radio work, get a click, but no engine turn over. After trying many times, it will eventually turn over and start. Has been happening off and on for a few years.
Ran fine yesterday with no engine light on, tried to start and leave the next day with nothing . It will turn over and act like it wants to start but doesnt
eng. wont crank I can jump starter and it cranks but wont start have disconnected neg. batt and checked all fuzes I can find (under hood)
I have a 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 truck and I'm having issues with it not cranking over. Have it with the mechanic waiting on an answer on what the problem is.
Where is the wcm located in the 1997 dodge ram 1500
My 2003 dodge ram 1500 wont crank up .it will turn over but it just wont start. The driver door key hole was striped out by a previous owner..what do i do? A diagnostic tester showed the code for the factory alarm..what does that mean
Replaced engine 5.7 hemi truck ran for a day now key turns dash lights on but engine will not turn checked both cables replaced starter and starter relay I have heard about WCM how do you check this
un hooked battery and pulled the pcm fuse for about thirty seconds
My truck turns over but won't start
this is known problem ,you must use the spare chiped key, alternate use, the chip loses memory. dodge does not know why this is happenning.
Stopped at the Post Office. Got back in and turned the key....nothing. Radio and lights worked. Came home and read this thread, went back and disconnected the negative battery terminal. Waited a minute and hooked it back up, turned the key and Wahoo! It started up again. Thanks so much for the solution here!! :)
my truck crank but wont start i gave it a full tune up new crank s still wont start it got good spark fuel pump seem to come on but wont start
My Dodge Ram 1500 is a 2011 (option was not available above)
No malfunction lights illuminated. Engine will not start despite 12.7 volts at battery. Occasionally sounds like it is turning over but dies. Auto door locks do not work 100% of the time too. I was told that the WCM might be involved but I'm still trying to find where that is located. Occasionally after a dozen or so attempts the truck will start.
Symptoms: Everything works except door locks and ignition does nothing when turned. Doesn't even click. No symptoms prior to it failing. Have had truck since 70k and never had this problem.
Fix: Pulled ground cable off battery for a couple minutes to reset. Just for good measure I also pulled and checked the door lock fuse & the ignition fuse. They were both good. Reconnected the negative and it started right up.
I've trued every thing that has been said and still nothing. The only other thing diffrent my door look won't in lock with using the key or I have to do manually no electronic. Can some one help
I have owned the truck for three years and bought it with 70,000 miles. It is a Rumblebee edition. Last month it began to take 3-4 attempts to start in the mornings. Like all the other posts I have read, the instrument panel lights up, all gauges work, radio etc but it just clicks and won't turn over. I usually just turn it off and try again and it gets closer on the second try and usually on the third try it fires up. Once i have started it, if I turn it off and immediately try again it will start right up.

I did not buy it from a Dodge dealership and so I doubt my mechanic has heard of this problem (GMC). I may ask a mechanic at the local Dodge dealership if they are familiar with this issue before I take it in.
Same problem here! It's happened three times so far latest one yesterday 3/1/2011. After owning 4 Dodge trucks and our local Dodge dealer closing down this is the last one I'll ever own. Closest dealer is 122 miles away, truck went for repairs to this dealer last week for a different problem; coil igniter failed causing missfire to cylinder# 6, messed up two spark plugs, had to go get it at my own expense. Sorry Dodge!
Had truck towed to dealership because it would not start. Spent $306 for WCM and $337 on labor. Picked up truck and immediately the tire pressure light was on. Thought I needed air in the tires, all four tires had the proper pressure. Called Dodge to report the problem the next day and left messages with the service rep who did not return my called. Called back to get the service manager's name, called him and left a message and again, my called was not returned. Called and asked for the service manager's manager who I was immediately transferred to. Now have to return the vehicle to see why the tire pressure light is on. Probably more out of pocket expense. REALLY?