Chrysler
PT Cruiser

Locked up WCM may cause engine cranking problems on Chrysler PT Cruiser

Problem Description and Possible Solution

If the engine does not crank (or cranks but won't start), the wireless control module (WCM) may have locked up. This is due to static discharge through the ignition key. A revised model should be installed, but simply disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery for thirty seconds will temporarily reset the module so you can start the car.

Problem Data
RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 144,264 (33,888–1,306,000)
10 model years affected: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, more2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
73 people reported this problem
Comments
Viewing 1 - 20 of 29 comments
Put key in turn to start and I get nothing headlights dash lights radio all work, will not turn over nothing happens
Started engine, it ran for about 3 seconds & stopped. Again Started the engine and same result. Third time no start and not even a clicking sound. All electrical things work.
put the key in the switch and I get no click or nothing ... has taken 20 minutes to start and when my daughter had it for the day it would not start... not sure if the heat has anything to do with it but it didn't start this till it got extremely hot
My PT Cruiser cranks but wont completely start. The vehicle crunk up one time move then stopped. Few days ago untill the incident occurred bubbling sounds where coming from the engine.
My boyfriend was driving our one day and he just it just died. We looked it up and he thought it was the fuel pump so we bought the part and took it in and they replaced the fuel pump and the car still wouldn't start. They replaced the CAM center and it turns hard... thankfully we have a nice mechanic and he's not charging us an arm and a leg.
took it to Kahlo Jeep in Noblesville and they charged me $450 to fix and they said they replaced WCM but as soon as I got it home next morning did same thing. they towed it back in and sat in shop and they said they tried it every day and no problem so I picked it up and the next morning did the very same thing. Again they towed it in and again they couldn't get it to fail so I took it home again and next morning it did very same thing. I asked for a refund and service manager said I should call the next day and she would look into. I called the number she gave but no answer but I left message. She never returned my call nor would they come and get it again when I called. Very disappointed by their service and their treatment of customers. I will not recommend them to anyone except people I dislike.
It just started about three weeks ago. I haven't felt safe driving it, it will crank after you turn it off after trying to crank it several times. I thought it was the battery but it wasn't. I'm going to have it looked at tomorrow.
All the lights turn on but when I turn the key to start the engine....it will not turn on it doesn't make any kind of noise
2006 pt cruiser cranks but won't start after sitting in temps in low 20s and then trying to start when temp about 50.
Car did not crank. Would not start. clicking noise. Negative terminal was disconnected by a mechanic. Will check the next few days if it does not sound right. This may be a temporary fix. In July of 2013 it cost me almost $300. Two seals were replaced. The front main crankshaft & the camshaft #'s4667198 & 4777086. Very disgusted with this vehicle!! 2008 PT Cruiser Sedan.
Intermittent start up after driving vehicle and parking in hot weather. Will not show any codes on diagnostic meter. Have to leave the vehicle over night so the mechanic can pinpoint problem.
Manhandle the battery cable to get it going and that worked for 2 months. It is now( 83959 miles) at a chrysler dealership being diagnosis. Pep boys and a chrysler master technician cant seem to find the issue. I put in a request to investigate with NHTSA. I was almost in a severe accident when it decided to cut of in the middle of a multi lane intersection.
engine always cranks over - sometimes it starts, sometimes it doesn't. when it starts its usually on 1st role over. if it doesn't start right away i stop cranking it. try again n sometimes it starts right off sometimes it takes several trys. seems to be taking more attempts these days if it doesn't start right off.
Seem to have the same issue like the others in this post who have to leave it sit for a while. Acts like it wants to start for a sec but then it won't. If I play with it too long it just makes a whirring noise. It's like the starter is not exactly connecting up with the engine. If I leave it sitting for a while (at least several minutes) I can get it to start. if I am making several short trips that's when it's a big problem. I have to turn off the radio and everything else electric that might be draining the battery to make it start.