Locked up WCM may cause engine cranking problems on Chrysler PT Cruiser

Problem Description and Possible Solution

If the engine does not crank (or cranks but won't start), the wireless control module (WCM) may have locked up. This is due to static discharge through the ignition key. A revised model should be installed, but simply disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery for thirty seconds will temporarily reset the module so you can start the car.

Problem Data
RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 104,664 (33,888–305,031)
9 model years affected: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, more2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
28 people reported this problem
Viewing 1 - 13 of 13 comments
Won't start just cranks over sound like no gas is getting too it
Battery is at full charge. Put key into ignition and the engine don't turn over and No clicking sound
Put key in turn to start and I get nothing headlights dash lights radio all work, will not turn over nothing happens
put the key in the switch and I get no click or nothing ... has taken 20 minutes to start and when my daughter had it for the day it would not start... not sure if the heat has anything to do with it but it didn't start this till it got extremely hot
Started engine, it ran for about 3 seconds & stopped. Again Started the engine and same result. Third time no start and not even a clicking sound. All electrical things work.
took it to Kahlo Jeep in Noblesville and they charged me $450 to fix and they said they replaced WCM but as soon as I got it home next morning did same thing. they towed it back in and sat in shop and they said they tried it every day and no problem so I picked it up and the next morning did the very same thing. Again they towed it in and again they couldn't get it to fail so I took it home again and next morning it did very same thing. I asked for a refund and service manager said I should call the next day and she would look into. I called the number she gave but no answer but I left message. She never returned my call nor would they come and get it again when I called. Very disappointed by their service and their treatment of customers. I will not recommend them to anyone except people I dislike.
It just started about three weeks ago. I haven't felt safe driving it, it will crank after you turn it off after trying to crank it several times. I thought it was the battery but it wasn't. I'm going to have it looked at tomorrow.
My PT Cruiser cranks but wont completely start. The vehicle crunk up one time move then stopped. Few days ago untill the incident occurred bubbling sounds where coming from the engine.
The car will start but the motor will not run, i have to press on the gas and sometimes it will work
My boyfriend was driving our one day and he just it just died. We looked it up and he thought it was the fuel pump so we bought the part and took it in and they replaced the fuel pump and the car still wouldn't start. They replaced the CAM center and it turns hard... thankfully we have a nice mechanic and he's not charging us an arm and a leg.
Manhandle the battery cable to get it going and that worked for 2 months. It is now( 83959 miles) at a chrysler dealership being diagnosis. Pep boys and a chrysler master technician cant seem to find the issue. I put in a request to investigate with NHTSA. I was almost in a severe accident when it decided to cut of in the middle of a multi lane intersection.
Car did not crank. Would not start. clicking noise. Negative terminal was disconnected by a mechanic. Will check the next few days if it does not sound right. This may be a temporary fix. In July of 2013 it cost me almost $300. Two seals were replaced. The front main crankshaft & the camshaft #'s4667198 & 4777086. Very disgusted with this vehicle!! 2008 PT Cruiser Sedan.
HAd to take it in to get the security replaced