Car Problem Reports

Dodge Ram 3500 Problem
9 Reports
Me Too

Model Years Affected: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010

Average Mileage: 67,326 mi (30,000 mi - 110,000 mi)

Verified

If the engine does not crank (or cranks but won't start), the wireless control module (WCM) may have locked up. This is due to static discharge through the ignition key. A revised model should be installed, but simply disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery for thirty seconds will temporarily reset the module so you can start the car.

•  Rookie

It started out simply cranking without starting, and I would end up taking another vehicle to work. It would usually start later in the day, however. Twice driving a mountain road all the instrument lights came on, and a warning chime came on just before it stalled. This wasn't fun at 55 mph. It hasn't stalled since then, but continues to intermittently not start. Disconnecting the negative terminals on the batteries, and reconnecting them temporarily resolves the issue.

I ordered the WCM, it was on back order for a couple weeks. I had the new WCM installed, and it wasn't compatible with my keys. I had to buy two new keys to program to the new WCM. The keys were $165 each. The truck failed to start on the 5th start. I had to leave the battery terminal disconnected for 30 seconds this time. Before changning the WCM it would only take about 5 to 10 seconds disconnected. When it did start I drove it 20 minutes and it stalled again, twice. Talk about frustrating.... Could the new one be bad as well, is there a secondary problem, could my cell phone be affecting the WCM's signal? All I know is I spent over $600, and it still stalls on me.

• 07 Dodge Ram 3500. Had to have it towed to dodge dealer and $450 for a component the size of a credit card or business card case.

• Visitor, , 30,000 mi

Locked up WCM may cause engine cranking problems
    Verified for the Dodge Ram 2500 diesel Cranks but won't start, the wireless control , Disconnected the negative terminal of the battery to reset the module so truck can start ...

•  Rookie

Power when key is on; security horn for 3 Min with flashing lights; starter failed to function. WCM had failed to recognize remote key fob. New WCM install and programed @ dealership. $430. So much for Christmas.