Dodge Q&A

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Question: Light on ESP/BAS and Traction light also, is this a clock spring problem?

goingcrazy, San Angelo, TX, December 14, 2013, 15:52

Always on while driving.

pushrod December 14, 2013, 16:05

Not the clock spring. A 'scan test' is needed to find the problem area. (SCAN TEST!)

goingcrazy, December 14, 2013, 16:26

Dealer supposedly has diagnostic and comes out as clock spring, I don't believe it either, appreciate your answer.

pushrod, December 14, 2013, 17:22

You are welcom! You can post the results of the test for more info if needed.

G. T. Service Center (4191 Answers) , Stephenville, TX - (254) 638-3236
    ProfessorG December 14, 2013, 16:47

Agree with #1; The Electronic Suspension, ABS and Traction are all part of the Anti Lock brake module. I wouldn't think the steering wheel would have anything to do with your brakes.

cardocIII from Gillespie's Auto Service, December 14, 2013, 16:54

Yes, its quite possible. The clock spring is also the steering angle sensor which is a major input for the stability control system. What code is setting?

ProfessorG, December 14, 2013, 17:02

I hate Dodge

cardocIII, December 14, 2013, 17:16

I'm presenting a class on EPS and Stability Systems for the first time next week. Lots of manufacturers doing things that make us shake our heads with these systems.

ProfessorG, December 14, 2013, 17:26

I know about the steering sensor and symptoms caused by them and repaired many of them from GM's. Just forgot how Dodge did theirs. I Hate Dodge, Got their ideas from MB.

cardocIII, December 14, 2013, 17:47

Yes the Daimler is strong in this one. The SAS inside the clock spring is a node on the CAN network.

ProfessorG, December 14, 2013, 17:52

Oh yeah! I remember after you said angle in clockspring.

pushrod, January 02, 2014, 14:49

I have to admit i was wrong! Just fixed this same problem, on a vehicle just like this one, with a new clock spring! Another way i could tell on this one was the faint clicking when steering wheel was turned. Other than this time there was another time i was wrong,,,for about 15 seconds,,, i thought i was wrong! But that's it!!

ProfessorG, January 02, 2014, 14:57

Oh Yah. Ha Ha

mamavan, January 13, 2014, 16:10

I have an 08 Caravan with same lights. However mine was making a growling sound and felt it was applying the brakes. I assumed that was the ESP/BAS in action. Shop said code read the steering sensor was not working but should not be an issue with every day driving. Lights eventually went off. Today ESP/BAS was continually activating and it sounds scary. The two lights are back on. I have been hearing a clicking sound in the steering column for a long time. I know that's the clockspring but horn works and no airbag lights. Since the initial code was steering sensor, would you say my issue sounds more like the wheel sensor or clockspring?

cardocIII, January 13, 2014, 16:50

It's important to have the vehicle repaired ASAP. The steering angle sensor input is critical towards having the anti-skid function operate correctly, and other functions like drift assist cannot help maintain the vehicles trac in cross winds and with high road crown. But that is just the beginning. What do you suppose might happen if the horn power manages to be fed to the airbag circuit, and it just happens to also make a ground connection? Search false airbag detonations for some examples because it can happen! But there is still the issue of the air bag not deploying correctly if heaven forbid an accident does occur and you or one of your loved ones needed it's protection. Right now is that moment in time that you would give anything to go back to if you had a second chance. Think about that.

silent1, July 06, 2014, 15:43

I have a 2010 caravan with same lights. The catch is that I think I caused it. I just replaced the evaporator core and I believe I may have gotten the wheel back in 360 degrees out. I did my best to be careful not to do this but it is the only excuse I have. The question is have I broken the spring and need to replace it or do I just remove the link and try to re clock it?