Reviews for Lexus GS400 years:

Lexus GS400 Reviews and Owner Comments

Lexus GS400Owner Reviews (8 reviews)
    Visitor, Fort Lauderdale, FL, April 18, 2014 09:15
    I am a sales associate at a pre-owned car dealership that sells all makes & models. I am extremely happy with my 1998 gs400, it has 150k mls. now & engine purrs like a kitten, or I can also make it sound like a tiger depending how I'm driving. Very good gas milage for a V8, I am convinced it's simply one of the very best cars ever made & it still looks better than most new sport sedans made today.
  • 2000 Lexus GS400
    Visitor, Easthampton, MA, January 26, 2011 11:52
    Bought mine with 82K four years ago, she can purr like a kitten or scream like a tiger at 130K with no problems. You have to keep an eye on the ball joints and the oxygen sensors go at about 115K. Oh yeah, I only run synthetic AMS oil in my rig. Awesome engine!!!! It can creap through town or scream down the highway. And these engines have increadible torque at about 2,200 -2,500 rpm's. Sounds real nice just idling with that dual exhaust V8 rumble.
    Visitor, Saint Charles, IL, November 15, 2010 17:28
    bought the car with 112,000 miles one it and now have 255,000 miles on her.... drives perfect still. engine is as strong as ever, only problems have been alternator and a slow drain on the battery that will kill the car after not being driven for a couple days. in all great car.
    Visitor, O'Fallon, MO, August 24, 2010 12:20
    My GS400 now has 128K miles & it still looks fantastic & runs like a scared rabbit! Still getting 20-25MPG from 300HP motor is the best. I just upgraded the tail lights w LED lights & it looks like a 2012 model. I also upgraded to slotted rotors & now run ceramic brake pads & this car stops w the best. Make sure you change the timing belt/water pump each 100K & the GS 400 can easily go 300-400K miles without many repairs, so if you find one w 100+ K miles that was well maintained you can generally buy w confidence. - Koby St Louis, MO
    Visitor, Spring, TX, May 12, 2010 11:55
    I bought a 1996 LS400 with 100K miles about 4 years ago. The car is a tank. So...when we were ready for another car I decided I wanted something sporty and practical. We looked at BMW X5, BMW 540i, Range Rover (not reliable...and rediculously expensive to maintain), and one day I walked by the old airport car LS400 and thought..."why am I not considering another Lexus?" Within a few minutes I was pulling up research on which Lexus fit the bill. After reading articles and reviews I fell in love with the GS400 (not the 300 nor the 430). If you read the differences you will know why the 400 is the way to go. Now the trick was to find one...1998 - 2000. I don't like the body style of the newer ones at all. I went on the hunt for a low miles (less than 75K) and in very nice condition. Wow...had no idea it would be a needle in a haystack. But...I found it. 63K, 1 owner, had an accident in the past but was Lexus repaired (and had my body shop check it over and they said it was fixed perfectly). I bought it. Since it is 12 years old and the rule when you talk to Lexus is 90K miles or 108 months I decided to have the timing chain, water pump, and 60K service done. The mechanic told me that the only other thing the car needed was a new set of bushing up front but it was as good as any new (2008 or newer) car he works on. He commended me for the purchase and told me if I ever found another one to buy one for him. The car is a rocket ship! It is all stock and easily hits 60 in less than 5.5 seconds. I put Mich PS2 tires on it right away and they grip great. I could not be happier. I just wish someone made a Nav replacement kit for these years...then it would be PERFECT.
    shwagon, Annapolis, MD, December 01, 2009 14:04
    I have had my GS400 for 10 years, and I have yet to have any major repairs done. I have 143,000 miles, and it still runs like a champ.
    Grandpa_1, Bonney Lake, WA, April 09, 2009 16:13
    This is one of the nicest cars I have ever owned, however, the steering is so quick, the new tires "Mchelin's" makes it hard to stay in a straight line, this type of tire was not a good idea. I was told, after i bought them, that the side walls are too soft, which makes them wonder. "GO FUGURE"
    bubba1, Atlanta, GA, March 26, 2009 08:46
    I have 140,000 miles on my 1998 GS 400 and have experienced almost zero problems. The digital display on my radio has now disappeared and it seems to eat through Z rated tires fairly quickly. I keep wanting to look at a new car but this one has been great. Happy and scared that I may get 250,000 miles out of this one.