Reviews for Lexus ES300 years:

Lexus ES300 Reviews and Owner Comments

Lexus ES300Owner Reviews (47 reviews)
    Visitor, New Richmond, WI, November 07, 2014 22:02
    I purchased my 1998 Lexus ES300 in 2000 as a lease return with 50,000 miles on it and have had a wonderful experience with this car. I still have the original engine and transmission with 455,000 miles on them. I even have the original spark plugs still. I recently replaced the valve cover gaskets but am still experiencing a leak. I plan on driving this car until it drops.
    Visitor, Bremerton, WA, April 19, 2014 08:09
    i would like to know why this car has a problems with hard shifting that being an automatic
  • 1996 Lexus ES300
    Visitor, Lakeland, FL, February 21, 2013 06:49
    Purchsed in 2005 with 130K. Now have 301K...I maintain very well and Lexus is extremely reliable and relatively predictable. Transmission has had problems in drive,(starting at 275K) only when cold, but fine when hot. Engine is excellent.. Normal wear item repairs..Cooling fan runs off p/s and due to age the lines leading to fan are extremely important and needed replacement due to age.Most parts for this vehicle have cross over parts used in camry ( 1MZFE 6 Cyl) and Avalon various years that can be purchased for much less than through Lexus..(Ex. Brake Rotors and most engine parts)Highly recommend used if previous owner did basic maintanence.
    Visitor, Abilene, TX, December 13, 2012 08:26
    I bought my Lexus a couple of years ago and it's a GREAT car, But...! The valve seals started leaking; now it smokes and uses oil like crazy ($2,800). The check engine light is on after absolutely everything($1,400) has been replaced. The dash light for the "OD transmission problem" has been going on and off every since I purchased the car. Yet, It stays on for a few hours and then it goes off and nothing seems to happen. **Nickel & Dimed**
    Visitor, Monahans, TX, May 22, 2012 09:25
    Just bought a 2001 Lexus ES300. Beautiful car. Drove it for about a week then the check engine and trac off lights came on simultaneously, followed by a little stutter in the engine driving down the highway with the cruise control on. Followed some advice on the web by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery and then spraying the air intake port that's near the air horn with some electronic's cleaner(evaporates quickly). This has seemed to take care of the problem, the lights are not on now and the engine stutter is gone; the cars' got nearly 94,000 miles on it. I hope it will keep going strong...just got an oil change too. I'm pleased with it overall...good strong V-6 engine;everything still works in it, I.e. A/C, power seats/windows, etc. I think I made a good purchase. Looking forward to putting a lot of comfortable miles on it.
    Visitor, Lanoka Harbor, NJ, January 27, 2012 09:50
    Bought my 2002 ES300 instead of a car I went to purchase in Florida. Had 75,000 miles on it when I bought it 3 years ago....now has 92,000 miles. Great car except for the lousy Dunlop tires they had on it so I changed to Kumho's and it now rides like a dream! Only trouble I had with the car is because it came from Florida to NJ the engine seal started to leak. Brought it to mechanic and he tightened up some bolts and (knock on wood) it stopped leaking. Only thing I am not crazy about is the brakes...the peddle goes a little to far down to the floor.... Great riding car...could use a little more power but overall a 9.5 out of 10.
    Visitor, Frederick, MD, November 09, 2011 06:39
    1998 Lexus ES300 I bought the ES300 new in 1998 with 22 miles on it when it left the showroom. It now has 479,800 miles on it. The transmission was replaced at 370,000 miles with a used one. The car has been excellent, even after a head-on collision about 6 years ago. It always starts and runs smooth. Just did a long weekend from Baltimore to Myrtle Beach, and never worry about whether it will start or get me where I am going. This car is better than the Mercedes I had for eight years perviously.
    Visitor, Shrewsbury, MA, September 25, 2011 19:11
    I bought a Lexus directly from a dealer when a 2 year lease was up. That was 1996 and now it is 2011 and except for a current exhaust repair, routine and preventative maintenance prove Toyota/Lexus quality is good for over 230,000 miles. How many other car manufacturers can demonstrate a car's longevity in a state covered with salty roads a third of the year. Thank you Balise. Amy
    Visitor, Lodi, NJ, September 10, 2011 06:44
    I love my car. To me is the greatest car. I had a few but, this is one of the best. I feel spoil with my car. Lexus car pamper you. I have a few problem right now. The mountain ligths is always on and the brake lights. I replace everything. I change the brake and the mountain bulb. But still on. What can I due to shut this lights off?
    Visitor, Clearwater, FL, August 19, 2011 11:25
    I purchased this car used about 4 years ago. It now has about 120k miles on it, and it still drives like a dream. The transmission is a joke. It is the WORST shifting tranny I have ever had in any car. Other than that I love it. Everything is tight, and quiet at any speed. Wish it had a little more power, but what it does have is sufficient to move around town with ease. I would recommend this car to anyone on a budget, looking for a solid, reliable entry level luxury car. Just make sure you do the recommended services on it, use premium gas, and synthetic oil, and it should be a good solid casr for many years to come. *fingers crossed I am right*
    Visitor, Cathedral City, CA, August 16, 2011 04:14
    Very happy with this car!!! Over 112000 miles....
    Visitor, Cambria, CA, August 15, 2011 18:39
    My mother bought this 1998 ES300 as a "certified pre owned" from Oxnard Lexus, I now own the car and I have to say that it is the best car I have ever had. I replaced an O2 sensor today ($300.00) and should replace the timing belt as the car has 124,000 miles. everything works like new, the interior is lightly warn and the paint is in excellent shape, this car tracks perfectly down the highway and you can cruise at 80 m.p.h. all day long. I am sure it will go for another 125,000 miles. BEST CAR EVER!
    Visitor, Marietta, GA, August 05, 2011 15:45
    I bought this care "new" as a dealer demonstrator towards the end of the 2001 year. Got a great deal and continue to be very pleased with the car after 11 years of ownership. At 50K (end of the full warranty) did a full inspection to be sure to fix everything that needed to be fixed; long story short, skipped the visit...nothing had been needed up to that point. As of now, nothing beyond standard maintenance and an oxygen sensor. Interior is holding up quite well as is the hardware. Did I mention my 1986 MR2 that I've owned for 25 years?..Can't say enough praise about the Toyota line except why can't we build a fully American car to match? Cheers!
    Visitor, Beverly Hills, CA, July 30, 2011 22:27
    GREAT CAR THE BEST IVE EVER OWNED EVEN BETTER THAN MY 2009 LEXUS SC!!!!!!
    Visitor, Jacksonville, FL, June 05, 2011 17:56
    Great car and excellent on gas! I love my Lexus ES 300. :)
    justme12, Antioch, TN, June 05, 2011 08:26
    My car will not accelerate after 30 minutes it gets hot and I have to let it sit for some days. What will cause your car not to accelerate?
    Visitor, Arkansas City, KS, May 17, 2011 23:52
    The 2000 ES 300 handles and runs quite well, almost like a 3-series BMW. The most common faults are the rubber boots being prone to rapture even when new, and the front area has some loud humming coming during high speed driving on tarmac roads. Rubber boot manufacturers should invent rubber boots that can be replaced without having to dislodge an entire drive shaft assembly or ball joint.
  • 1996 Lexus ES300
    musa0907, Denver, CO, May 12, 2011 13:57
    Reliable Car. Enough said.
    Visitor, Anaheim, CA, May 09, 2011 22:11
    When I first bought the car new, had problems with breaks that squeaked and wore out too fast. Then, there is a loose object noise from the front / under the dashboard area that no one seems to be able to trace to its source. Now, the transmission has gone out after 147k miles which will cost me $2600 to for a rebuild. I will never buy a Lexus again as the transmission on my wife's RX300 had to be rebuilt after 90k miles only. Transmission problems for Lexus are common, according to the transmission shop.
    Visitor, Dallas, TX, February 26, 2011 15:52
    I bought this 2001 ES-300 from a Lexus Dealer in July 2010 with only 55,000 miles ! I owned a 1994 ES-300 for several years and it was a great car with 150 k when I sold it to a college student. I bought the same car only a newer version. It's not as "tight" as a BMW - but it's a superb overall vehicle - with plenty of power when you need it. I have 64,000 miles on it and haven't had ANY problems at all. I was warned however by a Lexus technician to spend $ 250 and have the valve cover removed to look for sludge in the engine before buying - which I did. Fortunately - it was spotless. I'm pretty diligent about frequent oil changes. I will need a new set of tires in the next year or so probably and of course will need a new water pump/timing belt around 90 or 100k - but that is to be expected. Other than that - I know this car is dependable and will go 200k easy. Plus it's a very attractive car I find and prefer the angular body style of 1999-2001 over the 2002-2006 body style. My next car will probably be a 2008 or 2009 ES - but that's a few years down the road. I never drive NEW, I let someone ELSE take the depreciation hit.
    Visitor, Naples, FL, February 26, 2011 12:28
    AC went our after 52,000 miles
  • 1995 Lexus ES300
    darinpj, Palatine, IL, January 29, 2011 11:51
    I LOVE my Lexus. It has been the best used car I have ever owned. I paid $4,900 in march 2003. The car was 8 years old (1995) and had 155K miles.This is a very good solid car. I have had it 8 years and spent about $2,000 TOTAL MAINTENANCE COST over that period of time. The repairs I have done are: 1-On the rear bank of cylinders the valve cover gasket may start leaking at about 190K miles. I could not do this job myself. I cost me about $400 for parts and labor. 2- the CV axle boots seem to tear on them and then cause the axle to dry out of grease and then go bad. I bought remanufactured axles (like new) and paid $80 per axle ($160 total) and did all the work myself. It would take me one whole day (8-9 hours) to replace the two axles. A shop will charge about $400 labor. 3-When the car gets over 220K miles the rear bearing hubs will start to wear and make some noise. Eventually they go bad and you need to replace them. I waited about 20K miles before I replaced mine. They cost $210 each or $420 total. I replaced these hub assemblies and again it took me an entire day 8-9 hours. A shop would charge about $450 to replace them because you have to take off the rear brakes to get to them (at least on a 1995 model) 4-I had to replace the radiator last spring. Parts $120, did all labor myself. 5-At 245K miles I had to pay a shop to replace a high pressure powersteering pump line. Parts and labor $400. Things that are worn on the car. 1-Front drivers seat is torn and looks bad, but still comfortable. I am still trying to find an inexpensive ($200-$300) repair fo the leather. Anyone have any good ideas. If so, email me at darinpjp at ya who dott commm. 2-The transmission JUST failed at 290K miles. I did a bunch of research and the cheapest place I found was in Chicago for $999. They said they will remove the trans, rebuild it in their shop, then put it back in. I don't think this includes a remanufactured tourque converter. I have yet to decide if I will repair the car or donate it to charity and get another Lexus. Overall, despite the failed trans, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND any of the Lexus ES models. Hope this review helps others.
    Visitor, Cleveland, OH, December 13, 2010 13:33
    I purchased my 1998 Lexus ES 300 about three months ago, with about 223,000 miles. Now it has 230k. I have replaced the valve cover gaskets, which were leaking oil, had the struts replaced, which were original and worn out, andhave fixed a coolant leak that was difficult to reach; recently the air conditioner gave out, due to what seems to be a leak, and I will be having it repaired. Although this is quite a few repairs, the engine starts and runs flawlessly, the transmission shifts well, and overall the car provides a smooth ride in luxurious comfort. The leather power-adjustable heated seats, complete with driver position memory, have spoiled my wife and me.
    fiifii232, Lodi, NJ, November 22, 2010 19:39
    Since I bough the car in 2004, It feel always like it need a wheel aligment and balance. I think I requested it. And they did it. It also was not on the car the manual. Why? I don't know how many times I can recalled doing wheel aligment and balance. It's that normal? I don't know too much about car! But my boyfriend tell me. It's align or not? Is balance or not? Why? Now I drive over 55 the wheel feel, like they going to fall off. And I just balance the tire. And I just bought 2 brand new tire. Let see? Also the brake, something at the bottom, when is rain, or snow, and ski a little, a big noise come from the bottom giving almost a heart attack. I love my car. And I would like the problem with the steering wheel to get fixed. I wonder if lexus will fixed it under the company warranty. The 18 hundred dollars, that I bought it finish. before my 100 thousand miles. Don't not why? Now the caliber in the driver side not good. I wonder how much it cost and how much to put it in?
    johnnystix2, Clayton, IN, November 14, 2010 20:28
    Excellant car.
    luckyboy_603, Woodland, CA, November 14, 2010 20:28
    I also have a 1992 Lexus ES 300. It has 160,000 miles. All I have done is change the timing belt, changed the radiator (at a Toyota dealer), CV joints and the radio antennae. I was going to sell it but folks here have quoted that they have it for 240,000 miles. So I will keep mine. It is very reliable and I get 32 miles a gallon on freeway, more if I go slower than 80 mph.
    Visitor, Reeds Spring, MO, November 14, 2010 20:28
    Bought the 2002 es300 with 7K in 2004. This car hasn't cost a cent except maintenance. I'm serious about keeping a car in good shape. Had the timing belt and water pump, plugs, trans flush done at a dealer in arkansas. This was at 90K. It has 93K on it now. I'd like a newer one but this thing is no doubt the best car for luxury, ride, milage that I've ever owned. I quit g.m. in 1998 after having a lemon law buick, then a pontiac. With the g.m.'s I was in the shop every two weeks. The lexus has persuaded me to purchase a new rav 4. Love it to. v-6 4wheel dr. sport 27mph on road and 22 around town in the mountains. I'm a faithful toyota-lexus fan for life.
    billbrot, Mattapoisett, MA, November 14, 2010 20:28
    Great car. Just passed 227,000 miles. Luxurious ride, quiet and peaceful. Hope it hopes indefinitely.
    Visitor, Wilkes Barre, PA, November 14, 2010 20:28
    Fantastic car - runs like a Swiss watch. Dead silent at all speeds, with excellent road feel. No problems of any kind since new. Excellent reliability, fit and finish. Good dealer service as well. Nothing other then normal replacement items (tires, wiper blades, oil, etc.). Would recommend to anyone.
    Visitor, Indianapolis, IN, November 14, 2010 20:28
    Great car!!!
  • 1997 Lexus ES300
    Visitor, Dallas, TX, November 10, 2010 08:18
    issues with the EVAP suspension and steering
    keithsplace, Louisville, KY, November 07, 2010 07:51
    Purchsed used in 2000. Love it and always will. Great ride and comfort. Not afraid to jump in and drive across the country in it. Had a few repairs but mostly maintainance and age of the vehicle. Never let me down unless you count a punchured tire flat. I get a lot of "This is a 94, wow looks great for a 16 year old car".
    MsWina, Corona, CA, October 25, 2010 17:16
    Purchased in 1999 as a pre-owned certified car with about 30,000 miles on it. There have not been any major problems with it and I would purchase another one if I could afford it on a retiree's income. It looks as good as it did when I purchased it. It has 168,500 miles and continues to ride smooth and quiet. Pre-owned certified vehicles are the way to go. I guess I'm good for another 100,000 miles :)
    Visitor, Galloway, OH, October 03, 2010 19:55
    Never had any problems with it for 5 yrs until last week when the transmission started acting up. Quite a shock. I thought my cutie was invincible, but now I know it's not, am sure going to be hit with a big bill to fix it. Lexus said $110 just to look at the code. Huh~
    Visitor, Plano, TX, July 15, 2010 14:37
    I have a 2000 Lexus ES300. My dad handed it down to me as a graduation gift and i've had this car for 3 yrs now and boy this thing runs AMAZING and has never been in the shop except regular maintaince like timing belt, etc. It currently has 108k on it and still has a lot of life in it! Lexus 4LIFE!
    Visitor, Compton, CA, July 01, 2010 17:54
    I love my 1998 Lexus, if I ever have to replace it, I would go for a newer model but stay with Lexus
    Visitor, Burlington, KY, June 07, 2010 18:51
    My 1998 Lexus ES-300 has 259,000 miles and looks and drives as if coming off showroom floor. I love this car
    Visitor, Brooklyn, NY, April 28, 2010 18:14
    awasome
  • 1999 Lexus ES300
    Visitor, Miami, FL, April 20, 2010 14:03
    great ride
    Visitor, Madison, WI, April 17, 2010 08:57
    God gave me this car. I purchased the 1994 lexus 300ES in 2006 because JD POwers still rated it 4 1/4 stars over all. It's the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. Replace the tie CV Joints in 2008 ($289) but thats minor considering it had over 200,000 miles. For 1 1/2 years I drove it back & forth from Madison Wisconsin to Detroit Michigan every 2 weeks to see my wife and daughter with not 1 problem. Today I'm online to see how to change the brakes.
  • 1993 Lexus ES300
    pooBear4, Oakman, AL, April 16, 2010 21:13
    I have two Lexus ES 300. 93 ES 300- had approximately 260K miles. on it and runs very strong. '96 ES 300 - Runs like silk. This car rides and drive very well. No problems with this car at all. Its waiting on the next adventure.
  • 1993 Lexus ES300
    big pop, Chicago, IL, November 12, 2009 21:31
    this car has been through it all and has never given me any serious problems (She had 185000 miles when i bought her and now she is over 212000) the ones i do have are simple enough bulb in dash needs to be replaced radiator needed to be changed 30 min job heat could be hotter but it does great as long as you are moving and air intake hose cracked a 3 min repalacement job air conditioner blows hot but i have 4 windows and a moonroof and i broke the front drivers axel in a pothole but overall i think i have spent 300 on repairs since i bought her for 3600 i aint mad at all i just don't have the tools to give it a tune-up She rolls like a new car especially after repairing that intake hose and i have no idea how to replace the guage lights they come on intermittently the body was great but had suffered hail damage so i took off for that and who knew how important cup holders and ashtray placement were(picky) as soon as i can afford a tune up i will jump for joy again
    Patrick_1, Northampton, MA, June 15, 2009 04:55
    2001 ES300, just hit 100,000 miles, she runs like a champ! I love this car! Change the oil every 3000 miles, and it's great. Setting appointment to flush transmission fluid and other basic service items, overall, I LOVE this car. Solid, dependable good ride. Not to mention it's sexy..
  • 1995 Lexus ES300
    Al west, Detroit, MI, April 15, 2009 11:37
    This car require very little maintenance.Comfortabe and dependable. Run good. Excellent auto
    Munkymunky, Azusa, CA, April 13, 2009 13:13
    This is a solid and dependable car whose quality is obvious when one drives or rides in it. That said, the transmission could be more responsive in downshifting under load. It develped a rattle in the front right years ago that the dealer, Longo, was unable to find after a week of searching. The brakes have made a popping sound in the rear at low speeds under braking and I don't know if it was the servicer or the car itself.
  • 1997 Lexus ES300
    lifetraveler1, Decatur, GA, March 10, 2009 21:17
    My 1992 Lexus ES300 was the real champ. It achieved 249,850 miles before I sold it. The biggest cost items for that car were the front and rear seals, which eventually wear out and the timing belt replacement. Other than that it was a great car, had very good mileage (32 mpg on the highway) and carried me many places without failure or drama. Now I have a 1997 Lexus ES300. Although I am not quite as enamored with it as I was with the 1992, it is still a good car. I purchased it at about 110,000 miles on it and have run it up to about 160,000. It has been reliable, comfortable and drives with a little bit more sportiness than the previous one. I plan to get a 2007 Lexus ES350, when I can find out dirt cheap. These cars are all good values.
    Noctowl275, Tampa, FL, August 25, 2008 15:34
    My vehicle has an outrageous 220,000 mile. Despite this fact, the engine runs extremely quite and smooth when I first purchased this car in the summer of '07. Since then, I have had to repair the CV Joint, front and rear O2 sensor, retro-fit and repair the AC. Common problem that you will run into as I have and other owners of the same vehicle have had to repair is the dash light which will start fading and cost about $1000 to replace st a Lexus dealer (or don't drive at night or go with the flow of traffic). The head light mounts which always dry up and crack, thus your head lights always seem to go out, but just go to an auto parts store to get the replacement for about $5 a head light ($20 total for high and low beam). (More to come, but I ran out of time)