2009 Mercury Mariner Q&A

2009 Mercury Mariner Question: Left side crank shaft seal problem...leaking. Will this happen to all sides?

My 2009 started to leak on driver side 5,000 miles ago but did not realize it was from my car. I finally suspected it was me and took to the dealership. They said I could not drive due to safety reasons and gave me a loaner (junk) and said the part might be in sometime in March. (Today is Jan 27.) I'm extremely upset that I was unaware of this "common problem." Why is Ford not telling people to get this checked out? I drove this for 5,000+ miles before I found out this was my car. What if I got stranded somewhere...alone...at night, etc.? I'm livid! I have to wonder if this isn't some kind of cover up by Ford? Once they fix this problem...what are the chances it will recur? Can I expect my other three axle things to do the same? I'm almost out of warranty and can't afford costly repairs. I have driven Toyotas, VW's, Renault, new VW, etc...and NEVER had to take any of them in for any kind of repairs. I'm so disappointed. I bought a Ford to appease my husband...now I'm sorry I did. Thanks for your help. -
Why not call customer service for Ford Motor Company, you live in the same state? As for buying a Ford over a Toyota etc, there is a reason those other companies have been kicking our but, their cars work properly. I have yet to meet anyone personally who had an acceleration problem on a Toyota, and I work on cars for a living! And if there is a problem, say on a Toyota, there is no 'wait until march' to get the seal. By the way, an axle seal is a common part and can be had at most parts stores, so I don't get why there is such a big wait. Again, call Ford and give them a piece of your mind! -
Rookie -- this just happend to me 2/7/11!!!!! Waiting for March to get a part, driving a loaner -- sounds like there should be a recall!!!! Just NOT RIGHT!!! I used to love my Mariner, now... not so sure :-( -