Knock Sensor Replacement
The knock sensor tells the powertrain control module (PCM) when the engine is pinging or knocking.
How to Replace the Knock Sensor
Note: Many vehicles require removal of at least part of intake manifold to access the knock sensor.
- Remove the electrical connector to the knock sensor and the fastener holding the sensor
- Remove the old knock sensor and be sure to clean the area
- Install the new factory knock sensor (aftermarket knock sensors have caused problems)
- It is critical to precisely torque the new knock sensor fastener to the factory specifications
- Connect the electrical connector and install any removed intake parts
- Clear any PCM codes and perform a Drive Cycle Test Drive to verify the repair