Avoid. Avoid. Avoid.
Over 20 yrs. of friends and family have been customers of Kirkwood Auto and in the last few years it has simply gone downhill. First, let's say that Brian the owner seems to be a nice guy and is very good at selling his services. What he is also good at is making money, so kudos to Brian. I'm sure he is a good guy but my experience with him was pretty shady :)
1. We took the 2003 neon over for a broken timing belt.
2. First estimate was over $4500 to replace the motor due to bent valves.
3. WE recommended replacing the head (obvious repair - google this and see 1000's of results) $398 for a full replacement cylinder head - cam & rocker arms installed. $118 for gasket kit and head bolts.
4. We were told by the first service rep that they couldn't do that BUT after Brian got involved, we were then told they COULD do that and they would buy a reconditioned head from their trusted/warrantied source.
5. The total cost NOW would be $2100 for timing belt, water pump and a cylinder head swap.
6. We wait 10 days to get the car back due to a "missing part"
7. In reviewing the parts list with a certified mechanic friend, he questions the $80 cam installation charge (the new head should have come with a new cam already installed?)
8. We contact Brian who tells us he bought a head off of eBay (what happened to the trusted source) that was damaged and needed work so it was sent to Aldermans for repair - ok that's weird why not return it?
9. We called Aldermans - they claim that they received our OLD cylinder head and they swapped the cam and lifters into a reconditioned head. - That's weird, where did the eBay head go?
10. We called Brian back and asked - he then admitted that no head was bought on eBay and that Aldermans did a head reconditioning job. SO why were we charged over $350 for the new head?
11. We were also charge over $300 for a head gasket kit and over $100 for a head bolt kit - Why so much?
Here's the best part- When we get the car back we discover it has broken motor mounts!! We take it back and Brian offers to fix 1 of the mounts so as to save us money (even though HIS mechanic told us that they are flat our broken) for $107. We fixed them in the driveway for $78 in under 45 mins.
We gave Brian a chance to explain himself and refund us - we would expect our money back for the phantom eBay part - but he stands by his service and we likely won't see the refund until we get to court
Again, I'm sure Brian is a good guy and maybe this one got away from him a bit - but I'm not gonna fund his adventures to the tune of over $650 when all he has to do is come clean and do what is right.
And don't forget to tell them how you feel here - http://emailtheboss.org/executives/norman-jones-brian-jones-owners-ceo-president-kirkwood-auto-center-email-address/