Reviews for Kia Sportage years:

Kia Sportage Reviews and Owner Comments

Kia SportageOwner Reviews (37 reviews)
    Visitor, Woonsocket, RI, March 12, 2014 11:23
    oil pan is rotting out.Kia should recall for hazmat and danger of blowing engine
    Visitor, Providence, RI, February 15, 2014 19:07
    At 70,000 miles my 2006 Sportage gas tank rotted out! At 75,000 miles the motor makes a tapping noise, more so when I first start out. The suspension bangs, sounds like a loose exhaust pipe(which it is not). It`s been like this since day one.
    Visitor, Clinton, IA, February 14, 2014 06:18
    J'ai unn voyant allume sur le tableau resemblant à une tete de veau de quoi il s'agit
  • 1996 Kia Sportage
    Visitor, Tacoma, WA, December 01, 2013 07:19
    I have the karmann sport model and have found it very easy to work on the vehicle has been poorly looked after and needs some minor restoration work to get it back in good condition. Flaws steering excessive play, rear number lights coroded screws, idle valve faulty, rear main seal leaking, boot carrier had to be replaced, rear axle oil drain/fill bolts seized,,,
    Visitor, New Braintree, MA, November 22, 2013 05:43
    Kia sportage, bought new in 2007. Tech told me oil pan is rotting. Not very happy with that, seems this should be a recall or at least under warranty. Brakes are constantly a problem and need to be replaced at an accelerated rate.
    aronthl93, Metamora, IL, September 16, 2013 08:45
    I have owned this vehicle for a little over a year now. The only maintenance I have had to perform thus far is oil changes. This car rides smoothly, and handles quite well. It's very quiet when idling. The sound system (stock) has excellent quality, and the interior, while economically designed, is nice for the pricing. My only qualm with this car is the lack of power. I understand that it is a 4 cylinder, and a crossover is heavier than the typical car, but if I could have gone back and purchased a v6, I would have, as the extra power would make a world of difference. I am very pleased with this vehicle, and feel that it will last for some time.
    Visitor, Chester, CA, July 08, 2013 20:10
    Best little car i have ever owned. Replaced timing belt every 80000. Parts are cheap online .Normal repairs brakes and wiper blades new tires , Has 400 THOUSAND miles and other than a vacum leak on the four wheel drive it Has never let me down. Still gets around 25 mpg .
    Visitor, Decatur, IL, March 12, 2013 11:46
    My 2009 Kia Sportage after 3 years was making a clunking noise when it goes from 2nd to 3rd gear(around 20-25 mph). It jerks the vehicle. It just turned over to 42,000 miles. I have had my vehicle in several times to have it inspected and each time the dealer tells me that it shows nothing wrong with my vehicle per computer. They adjusted shifting points and all was well. Now after the third time they are replacing transmission at no cost to me. Thanks Green Kia in Springfield.
  • 1996 Kia Sportage
    Visitor, Garnet Valley, PA, March 11, 2013 18:31
    i have problem with differential oil seal,please send me part number
    Visitor, Racine, WI, January 10, 2013 07:09
    My 2009 Kia Sportage after 3 years is making a clunking noise when it goes from 2nd to 3rd gear. It jerks the vehicle. It just turned over to 30,000 miles. I have had my vehicle in several times to have it inspected and each time the dealer tells me that there is nothing wrong with my vehicle. Two other family members have driven the vehicle and experienced the same thing yet....there's nothing wrong with it. Don't know what to do.
    Visitor, Bronx, NY, October 31, 2012 07:26
    Bought 1999 kia sportage new. I bought a lemon. Since then. I been putting 1000 or more every year.
    Visitor, Little Falls, NY, June 07, 2012 14:01
    Bought my 2009 Kia Sportage brand new. Now, 3 yrs later I'm having transmission problems. It seems to not want to make a smooth shift into 3rd and 4th gears. Plan to take it to the dealer; will let ya's know what they say. It should be under warrenty still.(only 48000 miles) Other than this; my Kia is great.
    rhayescpa, Charlotte, NC, April 27, 2012 17:43
    I purchased a new 2009 2 wheel drive KIA SPORTAGE EX from FOLGER KIA, Charlotte, for my wife, a 64 year old retired 2nd grade teacher. She and I drove the car exclusively to run errands locally and to visit her mother who lives 150 miles away. No rigorous driving at all. Recently she was traveling by herself to visit her mother. During the trip she started experiencing transmission troubles on hills. The car had around 35,000 miles. When she returned home I took the car to Valvoline, who I've used for years without a service or warranty problem, to get a regularly scheduled flush. A few days later we made the hilly trip again and had transmission problems on hills again. I then drove the car to Folger Kia to have the transmission checked out. They told me that the transmission was "burned out" and refused to honor the warranty because Valvoline did the 35,000 mile transmission flush and then told me I owed them $2,000 plus for replacing an automatic transmission with only about 36,500 miles on it. Folger Kia will not accept my wife's word that the car's transmission was malfunctioning before I took it to Valvoline because her complaints were "undocumented." I paid for a quality vehicle and a five year, 60,000 mile power train warranty. I've received neither. It was a very foolish mistake to buy a KIA. And it was a very foolish mistake to buy a KIA from Folger in Charlotte. Folger Kia's General Manager was supposed to call me on Wednesday and a Kia regional service manager was supposed to call me on Friday to discuss this problem. Maybe resolve it. They didn't call. It appears that they are operating from a manual instructing them how to renege on their warranty. I also suspect that they "overfixed" my transmission and overcharged me. It's my honest opinion that my KIA had a defective transmission, a warranty with a loophole, and a dishonest and self-serving dealership. Yes. That's my honest opinion.
    Visitor, Stockbridge, VT, February 07, 2012 11:29
    oh these VT roads are tearing up my suspension system. I had to live through the Irene storm damage and let me tell you the roads are horrible since then. first thing to go was the R-F strut mount, and now my front struts are blown out and I need the bearing plates replaced on both sides. Other than that, my car has been a gem! i've replaced my brakes once so far and i've done regular maintenance such as the timing belt, hoses and belts and regular oil changes, tranny flush/fill and getting ready to do the transfer case oil change. My biggest complaint is the cheap material on the inside of the vehicle. My grandson managed to break the console cover and now I've lost that and to replace it is like 400 bucks because you need the whole assembly. But yes i'd buy a new sportage without hesitation as it is my lexus.
    Visitor, River Falls, WI, January 31, 2012 17:12
    The ESC Off light would not go off and the cruise control stopped working in my 2009 Kia Sportage. The recall for this was for the '06 and '07 models only but my car is still under warranty. The dealership replaced the brake light switch and told me the tail light bulbs needed replacing because they were burnt out. They also said that the burnt out lights caused the malfunction of the brake light switch. I wanted to replace the tail light bulbs myself but they advised that the burnt out bulbs would cause the new brake light switch to malfunction again as soon as I was a few miles down the road. I ended up paying $40 for them to replace the bulbs when I know I could have replaced them myself for around $4 total. I think they scammed me.
    Visitor, Rome, GA, October 18, 2011 17:46
    popping and squeaking noise when you turn stearing can't figure out why have replace everything known to replace. this is a 2000 kia sportage rear wheel drive
    Visitor, Fort Wayne, IN, September 06, 2011 08:10
    At 25000 miles we had to have all the brakes replace do to corrosion, the hindges on the tailgate back window literally broke and shot the window into my husbands head. We were told the pieces were defective. My concern is how many vehicles are out there with this problem so please check the metal pieces that hold your window to the car. If they do not look right you should get them checked. my husband is 6ft 3 and 280 so he was able to catch the window. If it happens to a small person Idk? besides that we couldnt be happier with our kia and we bought it new.
    Visitor, Ashtabula, OH, June 14, 2011 13:10
    tailgate window hinges corroding -24,000 miles will need to be replaced.
    Visitor, Athens, GA, January 28, 2011 18:36
    1999 Kia Sportage???????OOOD CAR
    Visitor, Manteo, NC, November 02, 2010 13:44
    I bought this Kia Sportage off the street in Anchorage, AK with only 10000 miles in 2005. I added AC and roof racks from Kia.....very easy to add and all the parts had the exact bolts, clamps, etc that were needed to accomplish the job. It now has over 80000 miles showing and about 60000 towed, which do not show. This is my second Sportage, the first one had 235000 miles showing and about 100000 towed, not shown. It is still being driven in AK.
    Visitor, Melfa, VA, October 27, 2010 06:41
    2000 Kia sportage LX 2.0 16v engine, manual transmission, EU model. Nice car, ai this moment about 100.000 miles, no problems. Had broken fuel tank (plastic), water in ventilation sytem, blockade of windows system, problems with fuel tank replacing (connectors are getting hard with years).
  • 2005 Kia Sportage
    Visitor, Wappingers Falls, NY, October 14, 2010 17:03
    have a 2005 kia sportage Ex. Great car, but not to great on gas and could have more pick up power
  • 2002 Kia Sportage
    bugg1358, Athens, GA, October 13, 2010 11:43
    The outside of our Kia has gotten pretty beaten up over the years but the car has made it to 192,000 miles and it's still running. My husband and I do all the repairs at home and it makes new noises everytime we start it but we drive it 60 miles a day 3 or 4 days a week and it keeps on chugging. If we did all the services that you are supposed to do on them it would probably be in excellent condition. The repairs are a bit difficult sometimes but so far we haven't come across anything that we can't figure out between the two of us. The only major things we've had to do to it are replacing the alternator and the radiator. The alternator took about an hour and the radiator took a few hours because the new one was built differently than the original. The only odd problem it's had is the gas overflows while we try to fill it unless we fill it really really slowly. I've heard a few ideas on what causes that but we haven't gone in to fix it yet. Overall I like the car but really wish it were an automatic. Long drives make my knees hurt from shifting gears.
    Visitor, Wichita, KS, August 23, 2010 17:53
    I had a similar problem with my kiia as another poster. Wanted to post that, that when the sheared problem happened, had a new timing belt been installed before it happened? Sounds like the crank bolt sheared from backing out or being overtightened. Make sure who ever installed your salvage motor set the crank bolt to torque specs, which are very tight tolerance.
    Visitor, Monrovia, MD, August 20, 2010 11:15
    Zero issues since purchased. Only observations are that the V-6 engine pickup is not impressive, to say the least. Mileage runs about 21MPG. So far, so good.
    Visitor, San Antonio, TX, August 18, 2010 07:37
    I bought my 2006 KIA Sportage LX 4WD gently used in 2006 and LOVE IT! No car on the road has the turn radius this one does. EASY to park, small on the outside, big on the inside. Stop lamp switch was recalled/replaced which solved my one problem...stability "ESC" light going off and on. I would like more MPG. I am getting 20 mpg average HWY/City even with a KLM air filter. Seats EASY to fold down for large loads. Not much luxury on the inside, nice sound system ,heat and AC good.
    mackateer, Chicago, IL, August 13, 2010 01:42
    car needs a lot of work but I only paid 1300.00,but 500 should do it.
  • 1995 Kia Sportage
    Visitor, Adelanto, CA, August 02, 2010 10:53
    i love the kia sportage. it's the best car i've had
    Visitor, West New York, NJ, August 01, 2010 01:15
    2008 kia sportage with 15000m needs 4 new tires front and rear brakes rotors need to resurface air conditioner armature needs to be replace
  • 2002 Kia Sportage
    Visitor, Baldwin Place, NY, June 15, 2010 10:38
    My brother got it at 75000 mi. good commuter car,poor mileage 20mpg.I took it at 104000 mi. At 117546 mi. The crank sheared off at the timing belt pully! Had to get a new engine $1,250.00-salvage yard. $1,000.00 to install.
    Visitor, Lynden, WA, April 06, 2010 10:49
    I bought this car with 28 miles on it in December 2000. For the most part I have been happy. I have to agree with jointer4. The 4wd vac tubes need to be replace every year. Not to hard though. Most of the engine work needs to be done by a Kia engineer it seems.
    Visitor, Pasadena, MD, March 29, 2010 05:17
    The only problem that I have experienced with my 2008 Sportage has been with the stability/traction system occasionally not working on cold/damp days
    sport_1, Fort Lauderdale, FL, April 25, 2009 06:07
    I leased this Kia Sportage 21 months ago. I am partailly disabled and do not drive much other then to the doctors or grocery store. I am 62 and have had over 20 cars and this one is the best. The ride is great, the gas milage good and the A/C works fantastic. Living in South Florida this was a must. I love sitting high enough that my vision is not obstructed. And although it is larger then what I am used to driving, it handles as well as any car I've had. Not top heavy like some. Corners great and for a 4 cylinder, it has great acceleration. All in all I give it 5 out of 5 stars. Love this car and would recomend it to all. 60,000 mile 5 year bumper to bumper warranty with 100,000/10 year on the trans makes it very economical to run. Guess you can tell it impressed me!
    robbyjor, Hazel Crest, IL, April 16, 2009 13:52
    I have had this car scince 98 and only had miminal repairs.I intend to keep it as long as i can even tho I now have to amke a repair.
    jointer4, Zumbrota, MN, January 12, 2009 14:19
    This vehicle is very difficult to perform any maintenance on. To change the spark plugs for instance a person has to remove quite a few engine components to reveal the plugs. Finding a service repair manual is impossible. Contains a lot of plastic and rubber components that break or fail on numerous occasions. For instance the rubber vacuum lines that control the 4WD continuously need to be replaced. An overall poor quality crafted and designed vehicle.
    imb361, Mission Hills, CA, November 04, 2008 16:56
    WE HAVE A 2.OLTS DIESEL. EXCELLENT, GOOF FINISHED, STABILTYAND POWERFUL. LOVE THEM
    cassajan, Monroeville, PA, September 04, 2008 13:48
    WE PURCHASED OUR KIA NEW AND HAVE LOVED IT EVER SINCE. IT RIDES GREAT,ENGINE VERY QUIET, GAS MILAGE REASONABLE. IT'S A GREAT CAR AND SOME OF MY FAMILY MEMBERS ARE PURCHASING ONE.